Disabling PAS on turns

Got two of the XP 2.0 st bikes last Christmas. It only took one day for me to conclude that PAS wasn't ready for prime time and disabled it completely.

Now we ride a very smooth 7-speed bicycle that just happens to have a 1-hp electric motor attached, controlled perfectly by the twist throttle, just as if we had a motor scooter. Use the throttle, or don't use the throttle, as you go around turns. Very intuitive.

What makes the throttle easy is that the bike has Cruise Control. Set the speed with the throttle, then press and hold the (-) button for one second, then you can release the throttle. Cruising.

Got two of the XP 2.0 st bikes last Christmas. It only took one day for me to conclude that PAS wasn't ready for prime time and disabled it completely.

Now we ride a very smooth 7-speed bicycle that just happens to have a 1-hp electric motor attached, controlled perfectly by the twist throttle, just as if we had a motor scooter. Use the throttle, or don't use the throttle, as you go around turns. Very intuitive.

What makes the throttle easy is that the bike has Cruise Control. Set the speed with the throttle, then press and hold the (-) button for one second, then you can release the throttle. Cruising.
I like the way my PAS works, it's very smooth.
I have never ridden an XP, maybe they have a crude setting, 6 or 8 magnets only, on the wheel?
I have my PAS adjustable as usual and my throttle gives me full power regardless of PAS setting.
It get me cross streets and up hills and out of danger, nicely.

BTW, I had to throw away the magnet wheel that came with my kit. It was faulty and caused dangerous surges. Maybe that's what the XP needs, a new, 12 magnet wheel?

Last edited:
Slow down, stop pedalling and turn your head/look in the direction you want to go, and lean into the turn. Don't look where you are afraid of ending up if you don't make the turn because that's where you'll end up. Pedalling through too much lean will lead to pedal strikes and road rash and broken stuff.

Slow down, stop pedalling and turn your head/look in the direction you want to go, and lean into the turn. Don't look where you are afraid of ending up if you don't make the turn because that's where you'll end up. Pedalling through too much lean will lead to pedal strikes and road rash and broken stuff.
Sometimes there are dangerous malfunctions that slowing down doesn't solve. Like the aforementioned surging mag wheel.

One thing this thread brings up is that in my opinion EBikes have too much PAS. I think this is mainly true in the USA. I believe Lectric bikes have PAS that does not cut out the motor until the bike reaches 28mph while others cut out at 20mph. My opinion is they should all cut out at 15mph. There are two reasons to even have an Ebike in the first place. The main reason is hills and to a much lessor extent wind. Without those two things there wouldn't be any reason to even have EBikes. If every place I rode was perfectly flat then I would never have bought one as I would have no reason to.
Your opinion is fine for you but I fail to see why you would go over 15 mph if you don't want to. Why would you suggest that no one else be able to?

As for going into a curve, just slow down. E-bikes, just like analog bikes, are perfectly capable of slowing down. In fact, slowing down, just like speeding up, is one of the things bikes of any variety are best at.

This issue makes it sound like some people need bike riding lessons, not that they need more restricted bikes.

TT

Your opinion is fine for you but I fail to see why you would go over 15 mph if you don't want to. Why would you suggest that no one else be able to?

As for going into a curve, just slow down. E-bikes, just like analog bikes, are perfectly capable of slowing down. In fact, slowing down, just like speeding up, is one of the things bikes of any variety are best at.

This issue makes it sound like some people need bike riding lessons, not that they need more restricted bikes.

TT
Mostly because I believe too many people going to fast on EBikes is going to lead to more accidents. That is eventually going to be the end of them classified as bicycles and the time will come where you will have to register, buy liability insurance, state inspections etc etc just like motorcycles and motor scooters. The faster ones are already banned on many trails. Personally I would prefer that not to happen.

Eventually, take an eMtb course for beginners, that will teach you a lot of control.

Mostly because I believe too many people going to fast on EBikes is going to lead to more accidents. That is eventually going to be the end of them classified as bicycles and the time will come where you will have to register, buy liability insurance, state inspections etc etc just like motorcycles and motor scooters. The faster ones are already banned on many trails. Personally I would prefer that not to happen.
Not sure what that has to do with disabling PAS in curves and I'm very glad you aren't in charge. There's absolutely nothing keeping you from going faster than 15 mph and as long as others can go faster legally and safely, why shouldn't they? I have no problem with citing or arresting a-holes who break the law or harm or endanger other people. We don't limit the speed of cars to 15 mph, or even 80 mph. The limits are in the law and in common sense, which is where they should be, in my opinion.

TT

Last edited:
Seems there's overwhelming support for disabling PAS on turns.
Here's where you can I find/sign the petition being sent to manufactures and engineers.
Coalition to Disable eBike PAS on Turns
And when then newly installed turn sensors fail and someone crashes and burns, then what to do? IMO, there just needs to be instructions explaining this tendency accompanying the bike. Everybody reads instructions. Right?

And when then newly installed turn sensors fail and someone crashes and burns, then what to do? IMO, there just needs to be instructions explaining this tendency accompanying the bike. Everybody reads instructions. Right?
We can implement dual sensors for redundancy and if one fails it disables the motor.
Additionally implement a gps tracker that monitors sensor failure and if a crash occurs manufactures can dispatch a Go Team to make sure it burns and that there are no witnesses.

can't imagine how bad this would make the bike feel. like riding a hurdry gurdy.

How about an AI system that after three rides determines your level of common sense. If you fall below the threshold necessary for operating an e-bike, the AI disables the motor and a Community Safety Team is dispatched to disposses you of your bike, by force if necessary.

Seems there's overwhelming support for disabling PAS on turns.
Here's where you can I find/sign the petition being sent to manufactures and engineers.
Coalition to Disable eBike PAS on Turns
OMG, my heart skipped a beat when I actually thought there was a petition such as this going around. I'm thinking, "there could be one such person to sign a petition, but a whole group of idiots to warrant a petition?

I’m so glad that my post sharing my first impressions riding an ebike evoked such a supportive welcoming from the “well-known member“ brigade. Must have hit a nerve with that “safety” stuff. Try to understand, though, that a lot of people are coming to this group to get help because they’ve never ridden a powered bicycle before. Offering advice with some civility shouldn’t be a stretch, eh?

I’m so glad that my post sharing my first impressions riding an ebike evoked such a supportive welcoming from the “well-known member“ brigade. Must have hit a nerve with that “safety” stuff. Try to understand, though, that a lot of people are coming to this group to get help because they’ve never ridden a powered bicycle before. Offering advice with some civility shouldn’t be a stretch, eh?
Have a sense of humor.
I (we:- ) realize that there are all different skill levels... but you also need to realize how ridiculous such a suggestion is as well. Was there a single reply agreeing /advocating a similar approach to the presumed danger?
One other piece of advice... stating Facebook as a source of information is equally going to attract a bit of snark'
Consider yourself initiated... Welcome 😊

Maybe work on thickening the skin a bit? This is a good bunch, and there is a TON of experience here. Personally, I believe the group as a whole benefits every time a rookie joins the group.

Keep in mind it's a widely varied group, and some of us are better at remaining civilized, while some maybe not as much. Bigger deal to me is we share a common goal - advancing our knowledge and sharing ideas regarding e-bikes.

Oh ya, things have a tendency to wander a bit when something interesting comes up, so please be patient.....

Please, do make yourself at home, and feel free to ask any question you like. -Al

RJB58, Welcome to the forum.
Some of us are just riffing off of each others post, it's part of the landscape. You are the OP, but it's not about you.

Back