Difficulty Selling an eBike

I am kind of surprised that everyone in this thread assumes that 1) it's a lousy bike, 2) the battery is both crap and abused 3) the bike is worn out after 6-months of use and 800 miles of paved bike trail riding. But I guess it's to be expected. Especially from a few of the members here I've seen do this to others here before. But that's OK, it's a Forum and everyone has an opinion.
You asked why it didn't sell at the price you were offering it. I suggested some possible reasons. It wasn't meant as a personal attack against you. It is very hard to tell if a battery has been abused on a used bike and very easy to destroy one with neglect. You almost have to assume you are going to have to replace the battery on a used ebike unless you know the owner and how they cared for the battery. The Blix Vika + may be twice the bike the Lectric is, but I don't see anything in the specs to differentiate it other than it is a better looking bike than the the Lectric XP (personal preference). If they use quality name brand cells in the battery, you could describe that in your ad as well as how you cared for the battery.

I assume its alright, the caveat is, the used price has to be a bargain,I sold a trike for less than I paid( the buyer would have given Me more, when I figured the cost to ship back I let the nice Guy{He and Wifey were tickled} have a BARGAIN!, I usually do not take advantage and my stuff is not Heirloom quality or gold.It makes Me feel better just to have stuff out of sight and mind to an appreciative owner.
There is a horrible mindset in this area about not letting someone get a good deal from sold items( I am not that way)

I tend to sell used items at about a 60% discount off of the new price. But with all the bike wait lists and shortages I felt that about -40% might be successful. I also anticipated offers, even low ball offers into my pricing strategy.

I'm going to start lowing the pricing everywhere as I really don't want the bike to sit for months. I do ride it at least once per month and give it a nearly full charge once a month as well.

Thanks @JASmith - that's probably very true. I, for one, would take a Blix Vika + over any of the other folding 20" ebikes selling for $999. Wait... I guess I already did when I bought it.

I'm an RVer and bought this to take in the towed SUV behind the RV. Since it fits in the hatch of the "Toad" (RV speak) it didn't require a rack. My new bike is a converted hybrid with 700c tires so now I use a platform rack behind the Toad.

When I bought the bike I saved all the packing and the box, etc for probably 3 or 4 months then finally recycled the box. I wish I'd saved it for shipping to a new owner. Oh well, if wishes were horses we'd all ride.

I am kind of surprised that everyone in this thread assumes that 1) it's a lousy bike, 2) the battery is both crap and abused 3) the bike is worn out after 6-months of use and 800 miles of paved bike trail riding. But I guess it's to be expected. Especially from a few of the members here I've seen do this to others here before. But that's OK, it's a Forum and everyone has an opinion.
@JASmith is an actual buyer in the market for a bike and from that real-world perspective has probably the most relevant point of view regarding this thread. She makes reasonably skeptical general assumptions about used bikes Vs new than many prospective buyers would have in mind before looking at a particular bike. It is true that it only takes one buyer. A bike like this would be great for a back to school High School student in a relatively flat area.
It is dry in Northern California, @TForan. We are due for dry lightning in the hills this weekend. Last year that set off major fire storms that lasted for months. These can produce their own fire tornados and electrified ash clouds that produce lightning. That is why I do not get rid of bike boxes, @creativepart. I sell them for $230 after making air scrubbers out of them that remove smoke and viruses form the indoor air. They use a $20 box fan and twin replaceable electrostatic filters. It is about time to make some more. A place like a Dentists Office cannot function when the smoke is so bad that no one can breathe.

Attachments

• Air scrubber left.JPG
    Air scrubber left.JPG
    175.4 KB · Views: 202
  • Electrostatic Filter.JPG
    Electrostatic Filter.JPG
    242.3 KB · Views: 210
I'm not posting this to get offers or to sell via the forums. So, that's not why I'm posting.

With high prices and short supply of eBikes I really thought my Blix Vika + would sell in days at full asking price. New models are $500 more than my asking and there is a two or more month wait (though this changes all the time).

I've advertised in on some Bike Forums, Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist and now eBay. Except for 3-scammers contacting me from CL I've had zero responses to the ads.

I've lowered my price by $200 and still crickets.

I recognize that not everyone wants a folding bike with 20" wheels, but it's not THAT unusual - look at all the "lectric bikes being sold. Perhaps that's my problem, my bike used costs more than a Lectric bike new? A new Blix Vika+ is $1,700. But I guess that doesn't matter.
It's a simple rule : Unless you have something that everyone is hot to have . People view someone selling used at New or almost new pricing. Taking advantage . Just the way it is . Regardless of what it is . Knock off 1/4 from New . I'm not accusing you of ripping people off . But that's the way most will look at it . Now you've dropped teh price right away . So anyone watching the For Sale gets skeptical . Your best bet is to take it down for at least 2 weeks . Take some different pictures / Redue your ad completely etc etc .

I don't think everyone assumes that, but the market for any electric powered vehicle (even very popular models and I'd bet very few prospective buyers have ever heard of the model you're selling) is often at 50% or less, even for relatively new items - People are reluctant to pay more because they're afraid something may go wrong with it and they'd have no recourse but to either junk it or pay a fortune to get it fixed. In the back of your mind is always "This thing is nearly brand new - Why did he buy another model and now he's selling this one?"

Two personal examples - I bought a 2 year old Mitsubishi EV with a sticker price of a little more than $30K for $8K and it only had 3,500 miles on it and was like new, inside and out - Even had that new car smell. I bought it because I already owned one just like it and knew what a great vehicle it was, but if I hadn't come along, he might have waited 6 months and had to lower his price even more to find a buyer. I also bought a 2017 Chevy Volt with a $41K sticker and only 18K on it in 2018 for $20K - Used EV's just scare people, no matter how nice and 'new' they appear. What happens if the battery goes south? Where do you get one fixed?

I bought a Lectric XP fat tire folder to use with our motor home for $899 with free shipping. Truthfully, I never looked anywhere for a used eBike and I don't think that's all that unusual. If I ran across a nearly new XP for say $250 or $300, I might have driven a few miles to take a look . . . . but it would have to be very reasonably priced to even get me to consider it

IMO, your market is just much smaller than you were thinking and it's gotta be pretty cheap to garner much interest

Don

I don't think everyone assumes that, but the market for any electric powered vehicle (even very popular models and I'd bet very few prospective buyers have ever heard of the model you're selling) is often at 50% or less, even for relatively new items - People are reluctant to pay more because they're afraid something may go wrong with it and they'd have no recourse but to either junk it or pay a fortune to get it fixed. In the back of your mind is always "This thing is nearly brand new - Why did he buy another model and now he's selling this one?"

Two personal examples - I bought a 2 year old Mitsubishi EV with a sticker price of a little more than $30K for $8K and it only had 3,500 miles on it and was like new, inside and out - Even had that new car smell. I bought it because I already owned one just like it and knew what a great vehicle it was, but if I hadn't come along, he might have waited 6 months and had to lower his price even more to find a buyer. I also bought a 2017 Chevy Volt with a $41K sticker and only 18K on it in 2018 for $20K - Used EV's just scare people, no matter how nice and 'new' they appear. What happens if the battery goes south? Where do you get one fixed?

I bought a Lectric XP fat tire folder to use with our motor home for $899 with free shipping. Truthfully, I never looked anywhere for a used eBike and I don't think that's all that unusual. If I ran across a nearly new XP for say $250 or $300, I might have driven a few miles to take a look . . . . but it would have to be very reasonably priced to even get me to consider it

IMO, your market is just much smaller than you were thinking and it's gotta be pretty cheap to garner much interest

Don
True, all of these "BB" bikes will now be languishing in a garage corner or will be sit out at the curb hoping some one will take it, even the ebikes will be a 'low ticket item"

I don't look at discretionary recreational purchases like bicycles and motorcycles as an "investment" because they aren't. Just like I don't look for a return on other recreational expenses like a hotel or resort stay or airfare or fuel costs on a trip. Just be happy that you didn't spend 8 or 10 or 12,000 (or more) on a bicycle then decide to sell it. Either be happy with what you can get for it in a time frame that you are willing to tolerate selling or give it to charity or stow it in your garage for occasional use or a friend to use.

. . . . or stow it in your garage for occasional use or a friend to use.
Many discretionary purchases (not just eBikes) eventually come down to that. "I once liked this so much that I paid $$$$ for it, but now I can only sell it for $. Considering that's all I can get for it now, maybe it's worth it just to keep it around for occasional use?"

Would you occasionally go riding with a friend who doesn't own an eBike if you kept it in the garage? If you can't sell it for what you think it's worth, maybe it could have a second life introducing friends to the eBike hobby??

Don

"Can I charge it"?
I imagine most high priced eBikes are purchased with EASY credit
"We have a warranty: Just sign on the dotted line".
( & Pay +20% interest after sales day )

I've seen some folders sitting for a long time on FB Marketplace. For what it's worth, I would totally have been interested in a bike like yours but I'm perhaps different than others. I want a folder for sure. I think the perception with folders is that they are cheap or something. Your bike has a lot of things that are especially nice - USB power from the display, lights that are controlled from the display and powered by the battery, neatly wrapped cables. I don't know what your advertising says but perhaps highlighting how it's not a cheap bike because it's a folder and highlighting the features that set it a part.

All internet bought fat bikes have cheap battery cells ?
No, but with current supply issues in China even those mfgs that use high quality Samsung cells are having to use other cells just to keep bikes moving on the assembly line. This is the same with other components on the bikes as well like brakes, seats even motors.

No, but with current supply issues in China even those mfgs that use high quality Samsung cells are having to use other cells just to keep bikes moving on the assembly line. This is the same with other components on the bikes as well like brakes, seats even motors.
He was implying older fat bikes have cheap cells. I'm sure some do and some don't.

We experienced similar when, at different times, we sold a travel trailer and later a class C motorhome. People are suspicious and there are a LOT of things that can be wrong with a used unit. Fortunately for us we bought both used and got a great deal when we got them, so we didn't get hurt nearly as much as we would if we had bought new. Knowing we were going to get hosed we priced them accordingly and moved them out pretty quickly. Things are only worth what someone is willing to pay.

Good news. I hope the listing goes well listing the up-side features.
The premium 3500Mah cells just became available at the wholesale level for the first time in all of 2021. As the current inventory of lesser cells is used by manufactures to sell replacement batteries better ones can start to come to market, reducing size and weight while lessoning sag and improving long life. I have seen bolts on bikes this year that I would not put on a wheelbarrow.

I wouldn't buy a used eBike that is just $500 less than a new model. I'd always assume the owner abused the battery whether they did or not.
exactly, I thought the rule of thumb was you took off the cost of a replacement battery.

The strength of a used market varies a ton by not just product segment (say bikes vs cars) but also by model. My hunch is that Blix is a brand that mostly sells to casual riders who aren't enthusiasts, and who don't venture into used markets much in general. Brands more appealing to enthusiasts, who may have more interest than money, will check the used markets.

Also e-bikes in general entail taking on a lot of risk of costly parts failure, so you need some combination of lower price, strong brand appeal, high performance to make it worth it.

I don't know what your advertising says but perhaps highlighting how it's not a cheap bike
Not really going to work because doesn't matter how much you sugarcoat something that isn't a GREAT deal to a potential buyer.

Stubborn sellers need to understand when something doesn't sell, they are asking too much for it, no excuses.

Back