Derestricting Bosch Active Line Plus

Because EU chose it. The reasoning behind was any cyclist with no special skill could ride safely at 25 km/h while riding faster required some skill. As the EU e-bike is just a bike by law, it was easy to allow Euro e-bikes on bike paths in dense urban traffic.

Not that I like the limitation. And the Czech made Peartune is just excellent. @macp please write directly to [email protected] for detailed information and perhaps you can buy the proper Peartune at the best price there.
Thanks Stefan will give them a look.

Thanks for your thoughtful point of view. But with respect I have another. One thing that really bugs me is that any lycra clad (non electric) road bike rider can easily average higher speeds. Infact if I remember right the last pedestrian killed in the UK was by a cyclist on a non electric bike. And then in the UK there is a history of nonsense laws to 'protect the masses'. For instance it is illegal for motorcyclists to have a tinted visor. Just in case they ride at night. So bikers just wear sunglasses. Electric scooters are illegal. And all sorts of other b*llocks like this. I for one get sick & tired of it. And no amount of protesting or lobbying will change it. I am generally a very law abiding individual. But im taking my albeit tiny little stand on this one.
Here in the U.S. we call that the Nanny State and it is like wearing a hair shirt.

Thanks for your thoughtful point of view. But with respect I have another. One thing that really bugs me is that any lycra clad (non electric) road bike rider can easily average higher speeds. Infact if I remember right the last pedestrian killed in the UK was by a cyclist on a non electric bike. And then in the UK there is a history of nonsense laws to 'protect the masses'. For instance it is illegal for motorcyclists to have a tinted visor. Just in case they ride at night. So bikers just wear sunglasses. Electric scooters are illegal. And all sorts of other b*llocks like this. I for one get sick & tired of it. And no amount of protesting or lobbying will change it. I am generally a very law abiding individual. But im taking my albeit tiny little stand on this one.

I appreciate your civility and I do sympathize with your situation. Bureaucrats making laws without first hand experience is frustrating and in my opinion, wrong.

I was and still am a “Libra clad (non electric) road bike rider” as well as enjoying my ebike, especially because it gets my wife out riding again, (I take no offense from your statement). I do get your point and on this side of the pond, we have issues with yahoos being rude with non-electric road, gravel and mountain bikes, especially forming double pace lines and being generally inconsiderate to motorists and pedestrians. The other side of the coin is that many motorists deliberately endanger cyclists, even going as far as modifying their big boy, (little man), trucks to “blow coal” on cyclists and pedestrians. It’s a crazy world.

I appreciate your civility and I do sympathize with your situation. Bureaucrats making laws without first hand experience is frustrating and in my opinion, wrong.

I was and still am a “Libra clad (non electric) road bike rider” as well as enjoying my ebike, especially because it gets my wife out riding again, (I take no offense from your statement). I do get your point and on this side of the pond, we have issues with yahoos being rude with non-electric road, gravel and mountain bikes, especially forming double pace lines and being generally inconsiderate to motorists and pedestrians. The other side of the coin is that many motorists deliberately endanger cyclists, even going as far as modifying their big boy, (little man), trucks to “blow coal” on cyclists and pedestrians. It’s a crazy world.
Thanks my friend I too appreciate your civility. Im too old now to take or give offence. I believe in Karma but strongly believe in treating folk as you would like to be treated yourself. Sorry about the 'lycra' remark. In the UK there is a strange division between those in lycra and those they describe as BSO (bicycle shaped object) riders. Rarely will they acknowledge you. Unless one is not ass in the air and on a bike that cost something like the deposit on your first home. I still nod and say hello though 😀

Im happy its got your wife out riding with you.

So is the ALP motor Gen 3 ?

And anymore positive experiences with derestricting the ALP motor ?

I have a standard UK eBike and regularly average over 15.5mph

If I want to go faster, I‘ll pedal faster, it’s as simple as that.

I have a standard UK eBike and regularly average over 15.5mph

If I want to go faster, I‘ll pedal faster, it’s as simple as that.
Yep agree I can do the same for a short while. And then I get peed off with that. Thanks for the reply but it isnt really that simple is it. But look I didnt start this thread to debate the morality of right or wrong. I respect anybodies point of view but sorry im not changing mine.

Last edited:
Yep agree I can do the same for a short while. And then I get peed off with that. Thanks for the reply but it isnt really that simple is it. But look I didnt start this thread to debate the morality of right or wrong. I respect anybodies point of view but sorry im not changing mine.
Talk with PearTune. Katerina is a responsive person. And I'm with you.

That's great! What speed do you generally max out at?
This is not a throttle, all it means is that the motor will continue to assist as long as you're pedaling. I have easily gone over 40mph downhill but my friend on his restricted Canyon Grail was right on my tail!
My friends Grail is a newer Bosch motor and does not have any resistance past the governed speed, my bike, a gen 2 motor has resistance when unpowered, that is why I derestricted it. My average speed on rides tends to be between 15 and 19mph.

This is not a throttle, all it means is that the motor will continue to assist as long as you're pedaling. I have easily gone over 40mph downhill but my friend on his restricted Canyon Grail was right on my tail!
My friends Grail is a newer Bosch motor and does not have any resistance past the governed speed, my bike, a gen 2 motor has resistance when unpowered, that is why I derestricted it. My average speed on rides tends to be between 15 and 19mph.
Got it, yeah I have the same bike. On flats not matter how fast I pedal I can’t get past 28.2. On super steep downhill I’ve got to 37, but the motor isn’t really assisting at that point anyway. I’m mainly interested in knowing if I can pedal faster than 28 on flat ground with the de-restriction.

Got it, yeah I have the same bike. On flats not matter how fast I pedal I can’t get past 28.2. On super steep downhill I’ve got to 37, but the motor isn’t really assisting at that point anyway. I’m mainly interested in knowing if I can pedal faster than 28 on flat ground with the de-restriction.
You will love it de-restricted!

the motor starts loosing power at about 26mph by the time your at 28 the motor is off. its close to being off at 27mph

I should have picked this up from where I left off in Jun 2022. I went ahead and got the Volspeed chip. And touch wood so far its been brilliant. The motor feels so much more smooth. You can hardly feel the cutoff. But then in Cheshire its very flat so I rarely hit the 27.9mph maximum. But I now cruise at around 20mph. Which is only 5mph above the restriction. But it makes such a difference. And I am fit enough to easily achieve up to 25mph when I need a burst of speed for whatever reason. But I keep it sensible and respectful to other road users. Overall I am very happy and makes me shake my head at the EU restriction.

With the unlock chip I purchased from epic e'cycles a year and a half ago I've set the cut-off at 70kph (around 44mph). I know it's overkill, since I seldom cruise at more than 40kph (25mph).

With the unlock chip I purchased from epic e'cycles a year and a half ago I've set the cut-off at 70kph (around 44mph). I know it's overkill, since I seldom cruise at more than 40kph (25mph).
Wow thats impressive. What motor do you have ?

Back