Derestricting Bosch Active Line Plus

macp

Region
United Kingdom
Good morning/afternoon to where ever in the world you are and I hope you and yours are well. Tin foil hat on and deep breath. A year in and thats it. Im done with being restricted. But there seems to be a lack of information on derestricting the ALP motor. From the brief research I have done it seems the VOLspeed V4 appears to be the weapon of choice. I feel the gearing on my Tern HSD should be fine with speeds of 25 to 28mph. Assume the ALP motor is gen 3 ?

So please do you have thoughts, comments, info. Thankyou in advance for reading and commenting.

I have a Trek Verve+3. I find the 20 mph limit a little annoying but not much. I’ve determined my speedometer is about 8% to fast plus I can feel the assist start to drop out at 19.4 mph, so it’s really dropping out at 18mph. On flat ground I really can’t go much faster than that unless I have a huge tailwind. It bothers me more when maybe I go down a hill and want to carry momentum up the next hill. I won’t lie I wish it was unrestricted but it’s not bothering me enough to do anything about it.

I have a Trek Verve+3. I find the 20 mph limit a little annoying but not much. I’ve determined my speedometer is about 8% to fast plus I can feel the assist start to drop out at 19.4 mph, so it’s really dropping out at 18mph. On flat ground I really can’t go much faster than that unless I have a huge tailwind. It bothers me more when maybe I go down a hill and want to carry momentum up the next hill. I won’t lie I wish it was unrestricted but it’s not bothering me enough to do anything about it.
In the UK its 15.5mph which in my opinion is total nonsense. I can still feel assistance up to around 16.5mph. But its still totally ridiculous and if I can find a reliable dongle that sticks two fingers up to HM government and the European Union. Im all for it.

Very much appreciating the replies so thanks a lot. So nobody seems to be using the VOLspeed V4 or Speedbox 3.0

40,000 de-restricted miles on Bosch Performance Speed motor, gen 2.
Never heard of bikespeed but like you they seem to have a good rep among forum members here. Looks like they will ship to the UK too.

In the UK its 15.5mph which in my opinion is total nonsense. I can still feel assistance up to around 16.5mph. But its still totally ridiculous and if I can find a reliable dongle that sticks two fingers up to HM government and the European Union. Im all for it.

Agreed!! I’m in the uk, mine to,cuts out at 16.5mph and it’s ridiculous I would even settle for 20mph. I ride a Specialized Vado I am gonna get it derestricted

Agreed!! I’m in the uk, mine to,cuts out at 16.5mph and it’s ridiculous I would even settle for 20mph. I ride a Specialized Vado I am gonna get it derestricted
I was thinking the same. Even 20mph would have been better. We live in such a nanny state. I like the Vado range and would have liked one but got a better deal on my Tern.
What are you getting to derestrict yours then ?

I was thinking the same. Even 20mph would have been better. We live in such a nanny state. I like the Vado range and would have liked one but got a better deal on my Tern.
What are you getting to derestrict yours then ?

I am gonna get the Peartune due to the fact it doesn’t trick my bike and give me false readings on my TCD. In the uk you can purchase different models from here. https://www.twowheelsempire.com/collections/e-mtb-popular

People that want to break the laws that govern a sport or activity simply because they don’t agree with the law only end up strengthening the arguments for even more restrictive laws and can ruin it for those that are obeying the laws. Being an activist for change is more work and takes time, but it is a productive way to bring about change. It also might give you some insight as to why the laws were enacted in the first place.

I don’t know why the UK chose 25 kilometers per hour any more than I know why they drive on the left side of the road, (or why so many other countries drive on then right). I do know that when I am there that I shouldn’t take it upon myself to decide that driving on the left is not for me and just go ahead and drive on the right.

No one is restricting anyone to riding below 25 kph, (15.5 mph). They are requiring that if you want to go faster that you have to do it without assistance. In “eco” mode, my Yamaha Cross Core starts to cut out at around 17 mph, but when riding on tarmac I am typically at about 19-23 mph, and down some of our local hills, I am riding at over 40 mph. When I am accelerating from a stop or near stop, or on a hill, the assist is very welcome. IMHO, anything more would be contrary to the reason why I am on a bike instead of a car or motorcycle. I admit that 15.5 mph in the UK is a bit slow, but I also feel that people racing around unrestricted is only going to provide your government with an argument for more restrictions and even the elimination of Ebikes. Just my two cents.

Seems the proprietary e bikes come with some draw backs. My Bafang BBS02 seem completely free of restrictions. I can get into the low 30mph area on the throttle.

I don’t know why the UK chose 25 kilometers per hour
Because EU chose it. The reasoning behind was any cyclist with no special skill could ride safely at 25 km/h while riding faster required some skill. As the EU e-bike is just a bike by law, it was easy to allow Euro e-bikes on bike paths in dense urban traffic.

Not that I like the limitation. And the Czech made Peartune is just excellent. @macp please write directly to [email protected] for detailed information and perhaps you can buy the proper Peartune at the best price there.

People that want to break the laws that govern a sport or activity simply because they don’t agree with the law only end up strengthening the arguments for even more restrictive laws and can ruin it for those that are obeying the laws. Being an activist for change is more work and takes time, but it is a productive way to bring about change. It also might give you some insight as to why the laws were enacted in the first place.

I don’t know why the UK chose 25 kilometers per hour any more than I know why they drive on the left side of the road, (or why so many other countries drive on then right). I do know that when I am there that I shouldn’t take it upon myself to decide that driving on the left is not for me and just go ahead and drive on the right.

No one is restricting anyone to riding below 25 kph, (15.5 mph). They are requiring that if you want to go faster that you have to do it without assistance. In “eco” mode, my Yamaha Cross Core starts to cut out at around 17 mph, but when riding on tarmac I am typically at about 19-23 mph, and down some of our local hills, I am riding at over 40 mph. When I am accelerating from a stop or near stop, or on a hill, the assist is very welcome. IMHO, anything more would be contrary to the reason why I am on a bike instead of a car or motorcycle. I admit that 15.5 mph in the UK is a bit slow, but I also feel that people racing around unrestricted is only going to provide your government with an argument for more restrictions and even the elimination of Ebikes. Just my two cents.
Thanks for your thoughtful point of view. But with respect I have another. One thing that really bugs me is that any lycra clad (non electric) road bike rider can easily average higher speeds. Infact if I remember right the last pedestrian killed in the UK was by a cyclist on a non electric bike. And then in the UK there is a history of nonsense laws to 'protect the masses'. For instance it is illegal for motorcyclists to have a tinted visor. Just in case they ride at night. So bikers just wear sunglasses. Electric scooters are illegal. And all sorts of other b*llocks like this. I for one get sick & tired of it. And no amount of protesting or lobbying will change it. I am generally a very law abiding individual. But im taking my albeit tiny little stand on this one.

Last edited:
Back