Delite Gx Rohloff HS ‘not mountain, mountain version’

The Rohloff E-14 retrofit cannot come soon enough. What's most awesome is the 'return to gear' which, according to documentation, returns you to a particular gear if you stop. Those of you who have the E-14, I assume the feature is in there and working properly?

The Rohloff E-14 retrofit cannot come soon enough. What's most awesome is the 'return to gear' which, according to documentation, returns you to a particular gear if you stop. Those of you who have the E-14, I assume the feature is in there and working properly?

I noticed it on my quick tour with the mountain. Worked as advertised; also I was surprised at how simple a setup it really was... just the small handlebar switch, wire to the CPU/Motor and one from there aft to the small servo box that does the switching. There is a disconnect just forward of the servo box for when you take the wheel off.

Other random tibits, the rear tension ‘derailer’ pulleys are indeed quite well put together; and the shocks are identical (as far as I could tell) to the ‘upgraded’ version offered on the non-mountain Delites. I pulled the ID #’s to compare to mine when it comes in.... which should be in the next week or two I hope.

The front fork would accept a 29er per fox’s spec sheet and has the thicker ‘boost axles’. But as Dmitri pointed out the rear triangle wouldn’t accept one without some extra long hangar for increased distance.

@Dmitri any chain tension issues on yours now that you’ve had it? Also how’s the m99pro holding up?

I took possession of a Delite Rohloff mountain about 10 days ago and have had some time to ride it and here are some brief comments on the setup. I previously had a Delite Nuvinci model last summer that was stolen (long story for another time, but the thieves had to work hard to get it and they ultimately got their prize from my garage - won't happen again!). When looking for a replacement, I saw the E-14 demos and wanted to give the Rohloff a try. The Nuvinici setup was fine and worked as expected, but just wasn't quite what I was looking for in the gearing range. Getting the Rohloff meant that I would have to sacrifice the belt for a chain (I'm a chain snapper), but I felt like the Rohloff setup might work well for my riding style. It also meant I would have to give up the HS motor that I had previous for the CX. Not having the Bosch HS version was a little worrisome at first, but when I started to ride it, I was sold as it's a much better hill climber (in my experience) than the HS and there are lots of mountains where I ride, so I'm comfortable with the speed limitations so far. More time may have me wanting the faster assist of the HS, but it's great for now.

The Rohloff E-14 setup is amazing and works as advertised. I have not had ANY issues with it so far and it’s really easy to adapt to when pedaling. I find that the cadence I use while riding with the Rohloff has a large impact on how smoothly I shift and is important to keeping momentum with the motor. Slow, high torque pedaling really loses efficiency while pedaling and shifting, even more so than with the HS motor. I can really tell that the software is different between the HS and CX setups! Also, shifting the E-14 relies totally on power, so if your battery runs out, you can’t shift the Rohloff (so beware). Another plus with the mountain version was the stock seat dropper and fox suspension, which I much prefer over the Suntour setup I had. I’ve basically modified the mountain setup with fenders and the rack and now have a nice mountain/touring bike that’s comfortable and easy to ride over distance.

Over all, I give the Rohloff E-14 setup a big thumbs up! I hope R&M and Rohloff offer the retrofits for everyone soon!

@Dmitri any chain tension issues on yours now that you’ve had it? Also how’s the m99pro holding up?

Well, first of all, I still haven't installed the chain tensioner: I only now got the droupouts with the derailleur hanger. It's actually a hilarious story because I asked the dropouts for my bike (which obviously has no derailleur/tensioner) and R&M sent dropouts with a derailleur hanger... this makes no sense! But then again maybe that's what they'll have on all their Delite Rohloff bikes from now on?

Anyways, I will need to get the tensioner. I am going to buy the Rohloff one (makes sense, right?) because I'm not prepared to play games with other companies' products... I assume R&M went with a different one because of their never-ending attempts to save money on production (sorry, but this is true) and I'm not about to do the same.

I'll post more info once I install the dropouts (remember, I need the left-hand-side dropout re-engineered too!), and I also need to sort out Rohloff troubles (I suspect it's leaking oil, and that's just not funny). Also, on a side note, I installed the Pletscher R80 fenders (finally!), you can find photos here and I'll do a video once I get a few more upgrades in on the bike.

Yeah, something you need to realize is that the R80 fenders will not accept a 3" tire on the rear without some serious re-engineering. I mean it's possible in theory if you're prepared to bend and chisel away the sides of the fender next to the rear triangle, and the metal is pliable enough (and really easy to drill, btw) but it would be such a huge DIY job I doubt it's worth it. BTW, I measured the 2.35" Rock Razors actual width on the 40mm rims and they are 2.6", so maybe they are good enough for me. In winter I'll just remove the fenders and ride my 3" Wrathchilds no problem.

The Supernova M99Pro is working just fine. I'm not a big fan of its light distribution pattern (the Lupine SL is way better) but given how bright it is, I'm not about to complain. I'd say it's still best choice for dual-battery, but if you have just one battery and a 6V limitation I'd go with Lupine.

I'll make another topic for the whole rear dropout reengineering thing.

So I’ve got some old ortlieb back rollers that I normally use to commute and camp with. Generally speaking they’ve been great; Still water proof. But they don’t fit the laptop that work gave me very well. So I got myself sucked into looking for a replacement. In the end I found a deal on their commuter and office bags and ordered one each; I figured I might as well put something nice on the new beast. Can’t wait to give them a go. That said I already ordered the front basket from the charger and it got thinking about a front pannier rack to match now that I’ve got some extra bags. And I could have used them in the past.

In my internet oogling I came across these...

http://faiv.de/fahrrad/gepaecktraeger-hoogar/

And I may need to ask Santa to order me some for next year.

I’ve found a handful of people with them on the chargers,

https://www.pedelecforum.de/forum/i...arger-gx-rohloff-hs.38526/page-71#post-859730

and these folks with them on the older delites.

http://denis-katzer.de/de/

If it weren’t for the price And what I’ve alreday spent I’d have already ordered one! But it appears to be the perfect match for my intents.

Still not sure why R&M doesn’t make a delite ‘expedition’ instead of the silly 25 yr anniversary. Hell they’ve already got the marketing material from their sponsorship!

Anyway if anyone has experience with a front rack I’d be curious to hear it.

@Wanabxtrm

If you wanted something nice...

Swift Custom Roll Top Panniers

They total a cavernous 46 liters for the pair. Nice zippered pocket and a large rear pocket that is fine for a water bottle, a bottle of scotch, a fuel bottle, or a fly rod. The mounting hardware will scratch up your rack so it is recommended you tape your rack first (actually I am experimenting with a thin packing foam under the tape, ugly but it protects the rack and lets the mounting hooks "bite" into the rack a bit).

As for front racks, I am drooling over the Old Man Mountain Sherpa Front Rack

I found this on ebay recently, unused without tags but clean as a whistle. It is a great attache/computer bag that, once properly adjusted, secures in seconds to my R&M factory rack. It is compatible with all Racktime racks and many others, well organized and came in several color combos. Not made anymore but they come up on ebay from time to time. It is nicely organized with loads of little pockets. It also has a bright yellow rain cover in the zippered side pocket.

I bought this one as it goes with the color scheme on my bike better but I do have a brown and tan one in good shape with a substitute shoulder strap but otherwise near mint. If anyone has an interest they can PM me.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Still not sure why R&M doesn’t make a delite ‘expedition’ instead of the silly 25 yr anniversary. Hell they’ve already got the marketing material from their sponsorship!

I too would love a Delite that looks like this:

Blackborow-1[1].jpg

I would even be prepared to forego dual suspension if I got a front suspension fork (10-12cm Manitou Mastodon Pro :) and a crank motor with 2.5kWh (yeah you read that right) worth of batteries. Plus integrated mudguards. And I'd ditch the Eagle, honestly, 12-speed chain is too thin and GX Eagle is very finicky (yes, I own this bike).

One can dream, right?

I just received a Tinker HS a couple of weeks ago. The main reason I purchased it over the nuvinci CX was the speed and gear range. I would have definitely paid for the option of the Rohloff hub as the bottom of the Tinker derailleur is only a few inches from the ground. I also like the fact that I can -with a little effort- reach a speed in the lower 20's while remaining in tour mode. It is impossible with the Nuvinci CX option. This makes me happy because I had initially planned to buy an additional battery, but I’m beginning to rethink the necessity since I can easily achieve a range of 50=60 miles if I remain mostly in touring mode.

Riese and Mueller please consider a Rohloff HS option on the Tinker. It would make a great compact, urban, speed pedelec with an ability to do some light off-roading!!

Attachments

• 8160E63F-37E9-4BBC-BB6D-E0600F690BFF.jpeg
    8160E63F-37E9-4BBC-BB6D-E0600F690BFF.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 545
So the bike got delivered to the shop yesterday. Swung past today to drop off the pedals and seat post and give her a once over (since it's raining cats and dogs and couldn't ride it). Much to my surprise and annoyance I found that a M99 mini was mounted vice the M99Pro that I expected. Difference: 1/2 the light output, no daylight running light, couple hundred $$. Currently working with my dealer in the issue; but it sounds as if R&M changed the spec to a lower priced component while raising the overall price of the bike. And failed to communicate with the dealer, their web designer or customers of the change.

Most dealer websites; and the overall R&M site still list the pro.

We'll see how both r&m and my dealer handle it. I told the dealer I wanted the pro version and am willing to delay acceptance until he receives the parts for it. And that both they and R&M should ensure they update their marketing materials if this is the new standard equipment.

Don't think anyone has bought one recently but curious to hear thoughts. Bottom line for me. I spent a metric s*it ton of $ on the bike (more than my first several cars combined). I want the light described, and pulling a fast one at the final inning of delivery is poor sportsmanship.

Hopefully the great customer service I received before sale doesn't evaporate, but I've got faith.

The Delite nmountain version I recently bought only came with the smaller Busch and Muller light and I upgraded to the m99 Pro. I agree the pro version makes a huge difference over the other versions and is worth the extra $. R&M have been historically rather slow to update their website when they make changes and I’m with you that they should cover this (I bet they do)! For the few issues I have had with both my Delite, the LBS and R&M have been fantastic - i hope you will experience the same.

Still waiting on a determination on the bike light. They got the front rack and seat installed; and tubeless conversion completed. But they mounted a ladies vice normal B17 saddle (shorter nose). Leaving it there while on I’m an extended business trip for them to sort the light and saddle out.

A few pic’s. The charger front rack mounted up as expected; though I’ll need to adjust the light position, currently it clips the fender at full compression. Not a big hurdle. Also I keep forgetting to bring the bar ends in; so they’ll need to get mounted once I bring it home.

Dropped seat post works as expected.
5DF2693F-8345-4FB5-B9DF-9FC603362C8A.jpegF106F980-7C0A-4BC8-9327-94174737A209.jpegFF3D0553-660C-45AE-B155-BB9096402D2A.jpeg9BA82289-5811-4120-808C-D3434D35A29D.jpeg05AC7A4C-0740-4301-A9E7-DFB9232684D8.jpeg

Attachments

• 15E54B55-9ABE-46BE-8E23-E2CB9858A321.jpeg
    15E54B55-9ABE-46BE-8E23-E2CB9858A321.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 668
Last edited:
sounds as if R&M changed the spec to a lower priced component while raising the overall price of the bike

Sadly a common state of affairs these days. I hope you get your M99Pro because a 12V 36V light makes more sense on a DualBattery setup. Especially now before that ridiculous directive comes into play that forces the ebike to leave 2 hours of light after assist shut-off. Also, I notice you mounted the M99 to the side... you know, you can buy a handlebar clamp just like the one you have right now but the opposite side can have a holder/handle that you can use to mount the light. That way it will be dead center and won't be obscured by the rack.

Oh, you might want to wash those bottles thoroughly, mine had that evil chinese-cancer-village plastic smell when they came with the bike. Also, you can get a Fabric (that's the company that makes these) tool keg if you do decide to use those mounting points.

Saddle and front rack looking really good!

Last edited:
@PBVideo, & @Chris Nolte, & @Dmitri, @Ebiketraveller, @Kelly @ CitrusCycles.ca, @Matt A, @Drumulac, @motostrano , @Scooteretti ,

Have you had any issues with the M99Pro?? The dealer is reporting that R&M swapped to the smaller light due to repeated technical problems and customer satisfaction issues, including excessive battery drain.

Curious about your experiences. Perhaps going with the mini may be a better plan if thats the actual case?? Though I have yet to find any actual complaints online about the M99Pro, all I can find including on the German pedelec sites is praise, and thus feel like thats a cover story to not own up to the downgrade in components when I balked at the lack of transparency.

Should be getting back home from this work trip in a few weeks & should hopefully have a resolution and take acceptance then.

And Thanks @Dmitri, I requested they order the handlebar clamp for mounting as well when they get the correct lamp in.

Last edited:
I ride with the light on pretty much all the time when I’m on the bike and have not noticed any battery drain issues or have I had any other problems. I was curious about battery drain, but after a long 60 mile ride with on, all seemed fine on my setup and met my expectations.

@PBVideo, & @Chris Nolte, & @Dmitri, @Ebiketraveller, @Kelly @ CitrusCycles.ca, @Matt A, @Drumulac, @Scooteretti ,

Have you had any issues with the M99Pro?? The dealer is reporting that R&M swapped to the smaller light due to repeated technical problems and customer satisfaction issues, including excessive battery drain.

And Thanks @Dmitri, I requested they order the handlebar clamp for mounting as well when they get the correct lamp in.
I have had a good experience so far. I don't experience any major drain -- of course, I have 1kWh overall so perhaps if you only have half that it's another story. The only real issue with M99Pro is that it's driven directly by the battery, which is why the on/off switch on the Bosch bike computer does absolutely nothing.

Interestingly enough, my rear light (Toplight) is also unaffected by the switch, which is weird because I would suspect it runs through the ordinary motor based port. Not 100% sure if that's the case though... actually, I plan to change the rear light to have directional indicators. I'm surprised ebikes don't do this by default. I would maybe be tempted to install Magura's MT?e lights, except that I found Magura brakes to be generally terrible, so this particular option isn't tempting right now. Maybe will just build some sensors that attach to existing brakes, not sure yet.

I suspect R&M swapped to the smaller light due to sheer effing greed. Did they reduce the price when swapping to the simpler light? I don't think so. I can maybe buy the reasoning that people complained about inability to switch off the M99 while the bike is running. But whose fault is that? That's right, a bike maker could go the extra mile and either detect the Bosch switch and relay it to the light or, you know, maye a separate switch. But I guess that's too much work when you're beeing fed ready-made engineering schematics; you can just focus on the frame. (Don't want to sound bitter here; I am also spoon-fed Bosch engineering schematics and I kind of enjoy them.)

Oh, I'm awaiting delivery of a new fatbike (Haibike FullFatSix) and guess what front light I will install on it. Manufacturers might skimp on good light but I won't.

Speaking of lights. One thing that occurred to me today is that I wonder why, with e-bikes being so big about built-in lights, that no e-bike I've ever seen includes a built-in blinky?

For me, the mini is fine and I don't really care all that much. I use a separate light usually mounted on my helmet as well as the built-in light.

Had a chance to check out the mini vs pro side by side at a bike shop here in SF yesterday; The New Wheel; as well as an unmounted new in box pro at Motostrano; Great people, definitely impressed with both shops! Two takeaways; the daytime running light is way brighter in person than I expected; definitely does its job. And two; the M99Pro mini version is noticeably outshined by the m99pro. The difference is quite noticeable against a shop wall and I can only image that's dramatically more impressive at night. If I can figure out how to upload a video I'll post it here.

Also the cast (aluminum?) Frame of the pro definitely lends to a more polished feel then the plastic of the mini.

Hoping to pick up the bike finally next week and get to a resolution.

In other news I measured the charger front rack and it looks like it will accommodate the ortlieb trunk bag mounting system. So I may consider getting that; in the mean time I'll stick to the pannier bags I have already as well as the new office bags I recently ordered.

Should be easy enough to switch M99Pro with relay that is driven via motor lighting circuit. Something that should be supplied by M99Pro manufacturer, even better build it into light.

Back