Dealer Replaced Rear Hub Internals on Allant+ 9.9S - Now No more freewheel clicking?

GuruUno

I asked my LBS, he told me: "The 12 speed microspline is designed to freewheel silently, and occasionally engage and make a noise, totally normal. Feel free to do some reading on the new 12 speed Shimano MTB system and educate yourself."

The day I got my Allant+ 9.9S back in December, I asked, and was told, that's the noise it makes. My Super Commuter never made any clicking. So this was my 1st experience hearing that clicking while freewheeling.

However, now that the internals have been replace and I see a gob of thick grease bulging out of each side of the rear hub and it is dead silent, should I have any concern as to why it was what it was and what it is now or should I just ride and hope it serves me well?

I am curious.

That's not what I am implying. What I am asking is I've never heard the clicking in my life, when I got the bike 6 months ago I was told, "that's the way it is", accepted it, and now that it is "fixed" or "rebuilt", and there is no clicking when freewheeling, so when I asked what was it then and not now, the answer I was given was as I stated.
I know nothing about why it is, or does what it does, hence my question.
My Google searching results in multiple opinions, but I was curious to know what others HERE thought of the experience.

It's not a matter of "if it works", it's a matter of 6 months ago, "that's the way it is" and now, RTFM

As a consumer, and given the 1 month delay while being repaired, and with gobs of thick grease spewing out of the sides of the rear hub, one might think it's there to "silence" the freewheeling clicking. However, it it is supposed to click and it don't why?

As an example: https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/...e-such-thing-as-a-freewheel-that-doesnt-click

So, am I an idiot to have thought that "that's the way it is" and now that it is zero clicking, I am stupid to ask?

And regardless of what it is supposed to click or be silent, the point of all this is back to the original posting regarding all the noises which I as well as other have experienced which were initially thought to be a defective motor and turned out to be a defective rear hub and then someone in these forums said that Trek is no longer going to use Shimano components, etc., etc., etc., makes one wonder if our super greased rear hub replacements will last the Trek warranty period or if we will be required to consider replacing the hub again. Maybe there was no grease, maybe it wasn't intended to click, I don't know, hence my posting and inquiry.

Link to another failed Shimano hub:

So, let me attempt to have a definitive, clear comprehension of the events. All of them.
Several Allant+ 9.9S owners have had noises and hubs rebuilt or replaced.
Others, battery latching mechanisms out of adjustment attributing to battery disengagement.
Some, head tube wire management noises, clicking, etc.
People have difficulty with the shifting mechanism.
Fake, glued on whitewall peeling off.
Back fender slop/movement.

I have all of these issues and although Trek and the LBS are exemplary in rectifying these issues, as I have said before, what will be next?

6 months into a 2 year warranty, and the worry is what's next.
Does this affect the value and desirability of this model?

What shall we expect?

@GuruUno - that's just the way bicycles are. You either fix 'em yourself or pay a shop. I've always found the former more satisfying.

Reflective stripes peel off tires - it's the way they're made.
Hub clickers are either greased or oiled, the former is more quiet. If you listen close it's probly there. Thin grease is appropriate, thick is not. Oil is optional - they are louder. Theh new shimano and sram hub systems are really nice, very delicate, like a fishing reel. And why shimano is still so popular.
Internal cables and wiring is a new thing for all bikes. As are derailleur adjustments and shifters. Either learn to adjust them or pay a technician. It's all pretty simple once you understand what's going on there.
Plastic fenders are always going to be fussy - nature of the beast. Why we don't run them, but then we have no rain, or won't ride in it. 😊

@GuruUno - that's just the way bicycles are. You either fix 'em yourself or pay a shop. I've always found the former more satisfying.

Reflective stripes peel off tires - it's the way they're made.
Hub clickers are either greased or oiled, the former is more quiet. If you listen close it's probly there. Thin grease is appropriate, thick is not. Oil is optional - they are louder. Theh new shimano and sram hub systems are really nice, very delicate, like a fishing reel. And why shimano is still so popular.
Internal cables and wiring is a new thing for all bikes. As are derailleur adjustments and shifters. Either learn to adjust them or pay a technician. It's all pretty simple once you understand what's going on there.
Plastic fenders are always going to be fussy - nature of the beast. Why we don't run them, but then we have no rain, or won't ride in it. 😊

You make my brown eyes blue :)

Back