Cycling Clothes

I often ride with padded liner shorts (Pearl Izumi and REI both make excellent ones at reasonably low prices) covered with very breathable overshorts. Sometimes I just use stretchy compression shorts instead of the liner shorts. Recently I have been experimenting with triathlon shorts, which have less padding but are more breathable and dry out more quickly. You can detect a pattern here that I find it very important that clothing be breathable and dry out quickly.

I have an enormous collection of wicking shirts of various shapes, sizes, and materials. In general I much prefer the loose and flowy over skintight, but still like fabric that has a little bit of stretch. I also like longer sleeved shirts that I can roll up. There are also a few light cotton button-front shirts with great pockets that are very comfortable for riding.

Socks are usually Smartwool or Darned Tough (both are fine). Typically light trail-runners for all but the coldest weather, where I have a pair of snowshoeing boots that are pretty awesome.

In colder conditions I might wear tights or long underwear bottoms (usually the lightest weights are best).

I am a huge fan of wind shells. Wind shells are very lightweight insulating layers that provide little or no rain protection. The very lightest weigh only 3-4oz and pack down to tiny sizes. Slightly heavier versions can be stretchier and have ventilation panels on parts not directly exposed to wind. Again they are *amazingly* warm for tiny amounts of weight.

For rain gear, my go-to these days are Frogg Toggs. They are lightweight, very inexpensive, but astonishingly ugly and not exactly durable. However, they perform as raingear as well or better than clothing costing six times (or more) as much. You can usually find them at Cabelas or Wal-Mart.

Sporthill.com is a good place to find active clothing at reasonable prices, especially for people with non-athlete bodies.

Last edited:
I have a new cycling shirt coming, and it's in keeping with my normal decision to wear bright ones.
It will also, hopefully, fit a lot looser as I've ordered 2 sizes up. I hate tight stuff...

NewShirt.JPG

I had about 20 that I was considering, and I'd narrowed it down to the one above and these two.
Proposed 1.JPG
Proposed 2Sloth.JPG

I really do love the Team Sloth shirts, but I also prefer shirts with no wording, hence the diamond pattern.

If you like these, there are hundreds more at Bicycle Booth

I can't recommend them or not, as this is my first purchase from them, but lots of positive reviews.

I hate the hassle of padded shorts but I can only ride 5 days a week on my commute of 20 miles without that. any more and I have to wear them or I will get blisters. though I wear padded underwear and something over them for versatility. I like jerseys because of the pockets and I can find cool used ones on ebay.

Like others, I go for athletic but not skin tight stuff. Wicking t-shirts and running shirts work well. As a commuter, anything that looks nice enough to wear into a restaurant or coffee shop meeting is a big plus. But anything with 'commuter' or 'urban' in its description is usually priced double what it should be.

I'm settling on compression shorts with generic athletic shorts over them as I have a shortish commute and they are cheaper and less hassle than the padded liners.

Sierra.com has a decent range of closeouts (Pearl Izumi and Gorewear among others) and you can get really great prices esp if S or XL fit you. My go to has turned out to be a pullover Columbia golf 'jacket' that was about $15 on Sierra. Nice bright red, loose enough to go over a shirt but tight enough to be a mid layer. It works well for upper-mid 50's into the low 70's which covers a lot of days in Seattle.

This T-shirt and padded shorts. I have a bad reputation of finding trees on the trail!

View attachment 61486

I was on my 1975 Schwinn Paramount, with a flawless paint job, when I had a heart attack riding with my buddy. When I was sitting on the ground, cars started stopping asking if I needed help....I said no to a pickup driver as I didn’t want my Paramount riding in a truck bed! When a cowgirl in a Mustang stopped. I hopped right in, and left the bike with my buddy.

I was on my 1975 Schwinn Paramount, with a flawless paint job, when I had a heart attack riding with my buddy. When I was sitting on the ground, cars started stopping asking if I needed help....I said no to a pickup driver as I didn’t want my Paramount riding in a truck bed! When a cowgirl in a Mustang stopped. I hopped right in, and left the bike with my buddy.

LOL P38, the heart attack could not have been so bad if you were still able to hop in a Mustang!
But it's still great that you recovered!!

LOL P38, the heart attack could not have been so bad if you were still able to hop in a Mustang!
But it's still great that you recovered!!

It was my second heart attack, and I was moving slow by the time I got in her car. She did not disappoint, as she drove well over the speed limit to get me to the ER, to get a clot buster drug injected. I did see her again a few months later, as we were both in traffic court for speeding tickets..... too funny!

My work clothes.. that's the benefit of an ebike - I can commute and not arrive sweaty!

No matter the temperature, I sweat. A lot. The only way I could ride a bike and not sweat would be if I let someone else do the pedaling. Even then, I would still be sweating if it was anything over 72º.

As a lifelong road cyclist, I still wear lycra/spandex shorts, specifically bib shorts because I don't like the waistband of regular shorts. I'd wear a jersey too, but I am still too fat to wear any of my old jerseys and too cheap to buy new ones. I just wear lightweight wicking tees that I wear as casual tops as well.

Lots of twins around here I think. I ride in sandals, jeans, and short sleeves and still arrive soaked.

Lots of twins around here I think. I ride in sandals, jeans, and short sleeves and still arrive soaked.
That's one thing that never happens to me even on hot days. If I start to feel hot I just take off my jacket. That's one advantage of biking versus walking. When you bike you create your own breeze.

Back