Cycling Cameras for safety suggestion

I'm curious about what problem you are trying to solve with a forward-facing camera.

While I like gadgets as much as the next guy, this is very likely a case where your first purchase should be an inexpensive and simple mirror. There are plenty of decent helmet and handlebar-mounted mirrors out there for reasonable prices. Which one works better is a subject of passionate debate amongst cyclists so be careful how you ask about it.

For me I am happy with the Take-a-look Mirror. This design is simple, inexpensive, indestructible, and easily mounts to your helmet or glasses.

Have seen this new helmet based camera system come out last week... https://cyclevision.com.au/products/cyclevision-edge-helmet
Looks good and rear camera can be watched via your cellphone wi-fi system while mounted on handlebars, but is also expensive. I use the Cycliq front camera/light... works well and is adjustable via app. They also have a rear camera/light, but I have no clear view from seatpost mount and light is long to go on a rack based mount, so didn't get it.

I’d consider watching a handlebar screen as distracted riding and more dangerous than safer.
I was thinking that as well! Also, if you looked down at your cellphone, wouldn't the rear camera on the helmet then face up? But, then a lot of people have some form of cellphone holder... a distraction not matter what it shows. Rider take care I guess.

The reason I wanted a Camera was NOT to look at the screen while riding, but for safety reasons should anything happen, I would have all the info recorded. I bought the gopro fusion and this not only sees front and back, you can make great videos with it. I think they may be coming out with a new version because the price is low at $299. Thanks everyone.

The reason I wanted a Camera was NOT to look at the screen while riding, but for safety reasons should anything happen, I would have all the info recorded. I bought the gopro fusion and this not only sees front and back, you can make great videos with it. I think they may be coming out with a new version because the price is low at $299. Thanks everyone.
How does that add to safety? Sounds like you really just want to record your accident. Safety is for preventing accidents isn't it?

I use couple of el-chepos from amazon, just in case ....
Campark 1080p with wifi - battery lasts 1.5 hours , Proscan 720p - battery lasts 3 hours.

Attachments

• IMG_20171015_122452.jpg
    IMG_20171015_122452.jpg
    367.9 KB · Views: 431
  • IMG_20171015_122237.jpg
    IMG_20171015_122237.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 416
I bough a couple cameras from Banggood. Basically cheap clones of popular overpriced gear. I was bored within a few weeks. I’m safer paying attention to my surroundings not a camera. I’m also amazed by the preoccupation with large color displays . Yawn. Volts and speed, but after the first season I could feel how fast I’m going and a quick look at my days route an checking voltage I can decide which battery for the day. I do like he minimalist displays and a Bluetooth BMS. They are unobtrusive and I can have a really useful battery report. After which it’s 100% spatial awareness in traffic.

My wife and I have hundreds, maybe thousands of hours on our on-bike cameras. We use the cameras as a dash cam to capture road incidents, wildlife, etc. When we encounter unsafe situations on the road, we upload the videos to Youtube and share with local officials and the media - both have been effective.

For the best video in 4k, Sony and GoPro work well. I prefer Sony, as it has better audio and the phone app is less wonky compared to GoPro. The phone app is convenient for seeing what your cameras sees and aiming your camera on the mount. Both Sony and GoPro are excellent cameras. For bad weather both Sony and GoPro cases are weather resistant and they also make waterproof cases for extreme sitations - but I never bother with the fully waterproof case.

My wife uses the Cycliq Fly12 CE (front-facing) and Fly6 CE (rear-facing) cameras. The Cycliq cameras shoot in 1080p, which is still excellent high definition, but not as lush of quality as 4k. However, you can still read signs and license plates with 1080p.

The big advantages of Cycliq cameras are they 1) double as a front or rear light, with solid or flashing beams; 2) have very large built-in batteries, so you can shoot continuously on long rides; and 3) are super simple to use. We've experienced that Cycliq offers excellent customer service, when we've had an issue.

I use a small usb battery charger "brick" to power my Sony or GoPro via a usb cable, and can then record for hours instead of the usual battery limit of about 1 hour for Sony or GoPro.

For Sony or GoPro, make sure to use a short, stiff metal mounts to connect to your bike or vibrations can turn your video to jello. K-edge is an excellent brand for mounts. A helmet mounted cam works well too, as your neck is a perfect shock absorber. Plus, when mounted on your helmet, you can aim the camera by swiveling your head. Both GoPro and Sony make mounts using 3M adhesive patches to to attach to your helmet securely.

My wife and I have hundreds, maybe thousands of hours on our on-bike cameras. We use the cameras as a dash cam to capture road incidents, wildlife, etc. When we encounter unsafe situations on the road, we upload the videos to Youtube and share with local officials and the media - both have been effective.

For the best video in 4k, Sony and GoPro work well. I prefer Sony, as it has better audio and the phone app is less wonky compared to GoPro. The phone app is convenient for seeing what your cameras sees and aiming your camera on the mount. Both Sony and GoPro are excellent cameras. For bad weather both Sony and GoPro cases are weather resistant and they also make waterproof cases for extreme sitations - but I never bother with the fully waterproof case.

My wife uses the Cycliq Fly12 CE (front-facing) and Fly6 CE (rear-facing) cameras. The Cycliq cameras shoot in 1080p, which is still excellent high definition, but not as lush of quality as 4k. However, you can still read signs and license plates with 1080p.

The big advantages of Cycliq cameras are they 1) double as a front or rear light, with solid or flashing beams; 2) have very large built-in batteries, so you can shoot continuously on long rides; and 3) are super simple to use. We've experienced that Cycliq offers excellent customer service, when we've had an issue.

I use a small usb battery charger "brick" to power my Sony or GoPro via a usb cable, and can then record for hours instead of the usual battery limit of about 1 hour for Sony or GoPro.

For Sony or GoPro, make sure to use a short, stiff metal mounts to connect to your bike or vibrations can turn your video to jello. K-edge is an excellent brand for mounts. A helmet mounted cam works well too, as your neck is a perfect shock absorber. Plus, when mounted on your helmet, you can aim the camera by swiveling your head. Both GoPro and Sony make mounts using 3M adhesive patches to to attach to your helmet securely.
Thanks great info...I purchased the GoPro Fusion which covers rear and front, but returned it as I heard they are coming out with a new version soon,

Last week got tired of all the el-chepo cameras that keep breaking down/stop recording and giving me a hard time and decided to replace them all with this BlueSkySea gadget for motorcycles.
More than likely it is a major overkill however I don`t care, so far I like it a lot, guess time will tell if this was a smart or really dumb idea.
It can be hard wired or run of a portable battery pack, I choose the convenience of battery pack, it will run for about 6 hours on a full charge.
The recording is in 1080p front and back and uses 10 Gb of sd card space per hour, video and 20 pictures that i have taken on 1st run.
Here are some pictures of it installed on my Teo Fat Bike.

Attachments

• IMG_20190929_110615.jpg
    IMG_20190929_110615.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 433
  • IMG_20190929_110624.jpg
    IMG_20190929_110624.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_20190929_110714.jpg
    IMG_20190929_110714.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_20190929_110725.jpg
    IMG_20190929_110725.jpg