Cube vs Cube vs Cube

The 625 battery is longer, by about 70mm. I have a 625 in my Allant 9.9 and a 500 in my Topstone Neo Carbon3 so I measure them. This is why it is not available in some smaller size ebikes. It just needs a long enough down tube to contain it.

I have not heard of any ebike in which the two are interchangeable. Once you have a bike with a 500watt battery, if you want the 625watt, you need a different bike. The only option you have is to purchase a second battery and an OEM cover for it so it can be quickly swapped out and then there is the issue of where to carry it on the bike. They are long and do not fit in most bike bags and you should never carry a Lithium Ion battery in a backpack.
I am waiting for my order for the Cube Kathmandu Hybrid Pro 625. While shopping, my local bike shop rep offered me other Cube bikes with a 500 battery (Touring and one if my memory serves me right) and offered to upgrade to a 625 battery for a few 100$. Not sure exactly how much, but much less than the cost of a 625 battery.

So it is fair to assume that a 625 would fit in some 500 Cube bikes.

Just ask your dealer for a swap!

Now I just hope the the bikes will be delivered as promised.

I would inquire with either Cube or Bosch. There is a Bosch brand sub-forum here with active participation by Bosch service techs who are quite prompt at answering question of this sort. https://electricbikereview.com/forums/forum/bosch/ There is also a Cube forum. I don't know if anyone from Cube is being helpful there but there are plenty of Cube riders who might have the answer for you. You can find the brand forums by clicking at the top of this or any page on forums then on Discussion By Brand and User reviews and then scroll down to the brand you want to learn about.

The 625 is 70mm longer than the 500, so unless the 500 is a bike already set up for a 625 with some kind of custom built spacer I have not heard of, to keep a 500 from rattling around in there, I doubt the dealer can do what he said he would. I have a 625 in one of my bikes and a 500 in another and have measured them side by side.

You made be doubt my LBS......

I went to the Cube European site, and they do propose the 2 battery sizes for the same model. Same frame sizes. I only checked the Kathmandu PRO 500 and they do offer the 625 variant (bottom left of the screen). Must be spacers or same size battery pack with different number of cells. I guess that they can offer more models with different battery sizes this way :

Capture d’écran, le 2021-03-24 à 17.03.51.png

You made be doubt my LBS......

I went to the Cube European site, and they do propose the 2 battery sizes for the same model. Same frame sizes. I only checked the Kathmandu PRO 500 and they do offer the 625 variant (bottom left of the screen). Must be spacers or same size battery pack with different number of cells. I guess that they can offer more models with different battery sizes this way :

View attachment 82697

I told you how this is possible on my last post above! The upper mount is movable between two positions covering both batteries! Its not only Cube doing that, and I actually find it a very clever solution.
I can send photos of mine if you want to see what I mean.

I told you how this is possible on my last post above! The upper mount is movable between two positions covering both batteries! Its not only Cube doing that, and I actually find it a very clever solution.
I can send photos of mine if you want to see what I mean.
I believe Trek does it too. The base battery on the Allants is the 500wh, but the website says you have three battery choices.
However off topic.....I ruled out Trek simply because they couldn't find me a Stagger+8 and the +7 does not come with a stagger frame. I just had to have a trapeze frame. At 66, throwing a leg over a bike is likely to get more difficult, not any easier.
I opted for the Cube Kathmandu EXC 625 over the Pro because the bump in cost was worth the upgraded components to me and I wasn't wild about the 'lunar/grey' colour choice.
Back on topic.....Each to their own, and I can understand someone's budget constraints but I'd go for the Cube with the bigger battery. CN

I took a closer look at a Kathmandu Hybrid One e500. I can confirm there's a mounting point clearly labelled in the battery cavity for a 625 battery, there's more then enough room for it.

Supplies are dwindling faster in my area (the Touring Pro I was looking at is now sold out), its a tank of a bike (large 58cm frame) but I am leaning towards this one now before its gone. No one seems to know when new stock will arrive, it could be next month, the fall, or next year, depending on who you talk to.

I took a closer look at a Kathmandu Hybrid One e500. I can confirm there's a mounting point clearly labelled in the battery cavity for a 625 battery, there's more then enough room for it.

Supplies are dwindling faster in my area (the Touring Pro I was looking at is now sold out), its a tank of a bike (large 58cm frame) but I am leaning towards this one now before its gone. No one seems to know when new stock will arrive, it could be next month, the fall, or next year, depending on who you talk to.
That is cool to know it has that some bikes have the flexibility to accommodate both. Does it look to be easily moved with a few tools in the field so you can swap a 625 and a 500 quickly during a ride? I presume you move the lock plate and the contact plate remains in place.

I have a Trek Allant 9.9S with a 625 watt battery. I see no way to move the locking plate down nor any added holes 70 mm down the side of the downtube where a key could be inserted. I don't think this model was offered with anything but a 625. Perhaps that is an option on the Allant 7 or 8.

Ultimately, it is the rider and his/her riding preferences and style. I have Cube cross 500 and I have found that after 1200 miles of riding, I am not a distance rider. At my age (62) my rear end gives out before the battery does! My rides are more like 20~25 miles so a 500 watt battery never has been an issue for me.

Ultimately, it is the rider and his/her riding preferences and style. I have Cube cross 500 and I have found that after 1200 miles of riding, I am not a distance rider. At my age (62) my rear end gives out before the battery does! My rides are more like 20~25 miles so a 500 watt battery never has been an issue for me.
Keep going at it. That may change. I am 70,, started riding three years ago. I used to have to stand up on the pedals and flex my glutes to ease the discomfort, every few miles after the first half hour of riding. Now it happens much less frequently and then only after 1.5 -2 hours. Aside from finding the right saddle, my backside has slowly but surely toughened up since 2018 to where I often bring a second battery on rides.

Back