Cube Hybrid 400 – 2018 Model – Bosch Performance CX Slip Problem [VIDEO]

wweighteenzz

Hello!

I was excited to receive my first electric bike yesterday only to find this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y3vwjxbx1myv74q/IMG_4319.MOV?dl=0

I'm demonstrating using walk mode, when I put the wheel down the engine starts slipping.

If I turn the engine off and turn the crank the same thing happens:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y3gmfbz8zi5nf7d/IMG_4321.MOV?dl=0

The slightest pressure/resistance will trigger the slip.

I managed to take a quick 30 meter ride before this started happening.

I've contacted the seller but no feedback yet, I'm hoping for an easy fix at the LBS + reimbursement.

What do you guys think? Is it an easy fix or will I have to send it back to Germany?

Cheers

It looks like in the second video the chain isn't on the front cog properly. I could be mistaken, I'm viewing on a smartphone. I did watch 3 times though.

Thank you!

That's what I thought.

How is this even possible straight from the factory?

Let's hope they do a full motor replacement straight from Bosch. Perhaps a bad batch of motors may have slipped through??

Swedish futboll team is winning 1-0 -My bad, Germany just got a goal to tie the score.

Good luck with your Dealer and Bosch. Please keep us posted.

actually these sorts of mid drive motor issues are fairly common. So don't be 'shocked' or surprised. We just don't hear about it much here in the US because we still only buy a very small fraction of the units that are sold in European countries. In Europe there are quite a few forums that are very upfront and riders who use these ebikes much more frequently than we do generally here in the US, and depend upon them for regular commuting. Here is just one of many boards that illustrate things happen with these mechanical pieces of equipment....

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/bosch-ebike-motor-reliability.29700/

Just hope and pray you have a very responsive dealer, who also has a great relationship with their supplier, who has also hopefully an excellent relationship with Bosch, so you aren't out of an ebike for very long. P.S. I am not slamming Bosch, as these are all very sophisticated pieces of machinery, and it happens to all brands. But I am merely pointing out, there are many 10's of thousands more sold in places like Europe, and so if there are issues they tend to show up more rapidly out on the internet. It doesn't mean there is a higher rate of failures. Just trying to say don't be 'surprised' by any of this, and just take it in stride. Its in warranty, and they'll stand behind it, I'm sure. We do have very high expectations here in the US relative to other countries when it comes to our 'material' goods. You'll have a smoother time by re-setting expectations, and just taking it easy and let these people take care of you.

Here's an update.

Found an LBS that was open on Sunday, they told me flat out to return the bike. They had heard about the issue on their Bosch certification course but never actually seen it. The internet shop I bought it from offered me €40 in repairs but that's just not going to happen now, they have a great return policy so it's going back on Monday.

To be honest I got cold feet from the whole experience so I've already ordered a different bike with the Shimano E800 locally. It cost slightly more but the components are better and the battery capacity is larger. Next time I'll have better support just around the corner, having to look at your bike and knowing you can't ride it for weeks is a terrible feeling.

6122-exp-909--970x600-high.jpg

Last edited:
Thats why I´d never buy a bike from a online shop.

Would be like buying a car from a internet shop, who´d even do that?
If I invest so much money into something, I want somebody close who I can turn to if I have problems.

Well thats only because they´re pretty unique.
If it would be a totally normal car, I doubt many people would go that lenghts.

I for myself wouldnt by a car without being able to check it out first.
And I wouldnt by a tesla anyways.

Back