Cruising speed

This is all very interesting information, I don't have an ebike yet but I'm hoping and expecting to get one sometime in February when it's supposed to be scheduled for delivery.

I’m 18 mph or so. On down hill today 35 mph. Eco and tour up.
I need another gear. Any ideas?

I’m 18 mph or so. On down hill today 35 mph. Eco and tour up.
I need another gear. Any ideas?
Others have reported good results increasing their chain ring tooth count and/or changing their cassette for a smaller cog. The Search function should bring these threads up for you.

I have the 1000w Ultra with 30 Ah batteries so can afford to be heavy on the throttle.
So I thought :) If you say you're a weak rider, you're only providing perhaps 10% of the ride power with your own legs Terry. Still. I haven't heard a word on your average speed.

What is your average cruising speed on an ebike?
Regular cruising speed in still air on 200w PAS is 17-18 mph, rear hub drive fatty bike, mostly in a striped but unprotected bike lane. At that speed my legs are getting some noticeable workout, but I'm not sweating (ick in winter clothing).

So I thought :) If you say you're a weak rider, you're only providing perhaps 10% of the ride power with your own legs Terry. Still. I haven't heard a word on your average speed.
I thought I answered 20-25 mph on my first answer?

Obviously it’s less if I’m on a busy pavement with people walking about, so it’s a bit of a loaded question.
Do you mean average on a quick trip to the shop, or average on a long run of 30 miles on the open road or do you mean average on the lifetime of every trip I’ve ever done my bike?
If I’ve got open road with no one in the way it’s 20-25 mph. I know that because I see it so often looking at my display.
Just checked my bike computer. It says on a 64 mile trip (3 x to the beach and back on 3 different days) my average speed was 8.9 mph, my Max was 38 mph. I probably go just 4 mph or whatever along the beach front as it’s quite busy with people out with dogs and kids etc.
Happy now bro 🙂

I just meant Terry the instant speed has nothing to do with the trip average speed. Say, 10 miles in the city?

Where I live, Edinburgh city, it is dangerous to walk never mind cycle! Ha ha!
I usually head on the roads which is keep up with traffic speeds (20-30 mph) or on the paths alongside the main roads when I get out of the city centre which are open pathways that are cycle friendly They’re like 3 or 4 meters wide. Some even have a line down the middle to split for direction of travel. Even on side roads my bike will sit at 20mph easily just on the throttle. The thumb throttle isn’t easy to keep at a steady speed like a twist throttle. I wish we lived closer, I’d give you a shot and you’d see. I mostly sit around 20 unless I’m around people. I have MS and have been mostly confined to a wheelchair for the last 4 or 5 years. I’m just getting my walking/cycling strength built up again. Hence the “weak” legs. I had pneumonia and pluiracy twice in quick succession before the COVID pandemic and my MS has got better as I’ve recovered from them. Quite remarkable really! So capitalising on that while I can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Terry. If we lived close, I would invite you for a 75 mile ride, buddy :)
To be equal on the health terms, I suffer from blood overpressure, arteriosclerosis and diabetes ;) I can hardly walk. I can pedal, though. I don't boast about 20-25 mph. Today's 42 km ride resulted in 18.6 mph although I did everything to ride fast in downpour and against 13.8 mph wind at 9 C. Yet, I don't use the throttle or a kilowatt motor... "Cycling" is the word. Not e-scooter.

Last edited:
Meh.... 75 miles.... easy! 25-30 mph all the way and still have enough to get home 💩

i usually keep it over 20mph because im trying not to be late for work lol, with my cruiser its probably around 19mph unless im throttling because my chain ring is just to small, to much spinning to keep it over 20, i need to replace it.

Will you please make such a ride and record it in Strava before we meet.
I’ll do a 120 mile run @ 45mph all the way. I’ll not even slow down to get on or off the bike. I can get on straight out of a treble back flip! That’s with a stone in my shoe too, you should see me do it when I’m wearing my mankini and flip flops! True story! 💪

I’ll do a 120 mile run @ 45mph all the way. I’ll not even slow down to get on or off the bike. I can get on straight out of a treble back flip! That’s with a stone in my shoe too, you should see me do it when I’m wearing my mankini and flip flops! True story! 💪
Thanks, but no. Mental picture was bad enough....

i usually keep it over 20mph because im trying not to be late for work lol, with my cruiser its probably around 19mph unless im throttling because my chain ring is just to small, to much spinning to keep it over 20, i need to replace it.
That’s your Christmas present sorted then... lol

Back