CrossCurrent S - New Model

My CCS arrived today. Everything looks good out of the box. No damage, wheels are mostly true and spokes are tight, which is nice for a bike in a box. Battery looks mostly charged, too. Just topping it off now while I perform the installation of the front wheel, pedals and light. None of the installation / support documentation or videos on their site seem to be tailored to the CCS yet, but there's not much to it. Pretty psyched! I hope the rest of you get your deliveries soon.

The original CC brakes are/were HD-E710 which use the same pads as the Tektro Aurigas. I don’t think the new Cross Current S brakes are going to be a step down from the original Cross Current. It is true that the HD-E715 is a better brake but those were never offered on the Cross Current.
The original CC does have HD-E715 brakes.

The original CC does have HD-E715 brakes.

Sorry, I get the 710’s and 715’s confused. The Cross Current has the 715’s which use the Auriga sized brake pads. The 710’s use bigger rotors and beefier pads. I tried to upgrade my CC to a 203mm front rotor and ordered the 710 caliper adadpter which doesn’t work with the 715 caliper. That’s when I learned that the 710’s and 715’s are quite a bit different. More info here

Good to hear the the CCS comes with the 715’s. I have no complaints with the brakes on my CC.

Last edited:
All I can say is I ordered a ocean current that was advertised clearly as having 500 to 720 watts not 350 to 500 watts and in order to get what I paid for they wanna send me a new frame and me send mine back, I do all the work of swapping everything around, then I pay for a new controller and LCD display, who knows what that will cost, all in order to get the LCD that I originally ordered and they discontinued. I'm not spending another dime on this P.O.S. clearly false advertising and your mouth overloading your butthole. They will never get another dime from me and I'm in the process of talking to my lawyer but I doubt it does me any good, probably wind up just taking the loss. Good for them that I live across country or I would really be a pain in the ass. From now on I will make sure I know what I'm buying.

Ok, just to clarify on the open forum. Rooster, we apologize for this issue. As stated in the many support exchanges: it may appear that our designers were intentionally trying to make your bike obsolete at the moment you bought the bike, this is not the case.

When the OceanCurrent was originally designed it was spec to use a 6-Transistor controller. The downtube has a bend at the top in keeping with the classic lines of a beach cruiser. The bend makes it difficult to fit the controller which is rectangular in shape.

We moved to the 9 Transistor controller for some Current-Series e-bikes as it is easier to manage it thermally since some 6-Transistor controllers could struggle with heat. But the 9 Transistor controller is physically even bigger. And could not fit the OceanCurrent frame.

The CrossCurrent S and CrossCurrent Airs do not have much difficulty to fit the longer controller as the downtube is straight.

We later asked the frame company to adjust the tooling used to make the bend in the downtube. After a bunch of tries they managed to get the 9-transistor controller to fit and still maintain the cruiser look.

Now with all the Current-Series e-bikes using the EXACT same controller, it makes it much easier to stock parts and service bikes in the field.

So in short, there are some bikes in the field that would be very difficult to fit the longer controller, less than 200 units. Of all the bikes in the field only one customer requested a 9-Transistor upgrade from the 6-Transistor controller. This is one of your support tickets and we have a Tech following it to completion.

All this was made clear in many support exchanges and we decided the only way would be to change the frame of the bike and you agreed as you stated to be a mechanic and comfortable with the swap.

We put in a very special order of 1 black OC frame to the factory that can fit the 9-Transistor controller. It is understood that it will take some time to work its way through the supply chain to you, but we would eventually make this right.

I hope this helps clarify this issue.

Hey irl, there's one report in the comments on the Juiced Facebook page of someone receiving their CCS. Is that also you, or are there two bikes reported in the wild now?

Neither the facebook nor reddit posts are mine.

Took my CCS on its inaugural ride today, just a 6 miler around town. Rear derailleur tension needs tuning - kept skipping gears, or would shift after hitting a bump. The roads in my immediate area are too shitty to go full speed for long -- tires inflated to 60psi still transfered a lot of the nastier patch jobs in the pavement. That said, the CCS definitely has plenty of power. This thing's a beast!

I guess we would have to define value. I would ask from a buyer perspective did your money get you something of use, worthwhile, or the worth of something compared to the price paid for it? Now I could have spent $2, 500 on another brand ebike in May. $800 more than Cross Current S, but I get 4 extra months of use out of the bike (full summer). By the time the snow comes, you may be 6 months of ebike use compared to 2 months with Cross Current. At the one year return, May 2017, you get 8 months of use out of $2,500 bike vs. 4 months out of a $1,700 bike (+$800), before depreciation vs extra spending cash over time period. That's where I would associate the risky transaction with not getting value for my money, because I do factor in that time from payment to delivery as zero tangible return.

I don't disagree with your logic. For you, the value proposition is a lot different than for me. For what you're trying to achieve, a full car replacement, and with a $2,500 alternative that you'd be happy with, the math is significant and in hindsight, buying a different bike in May may have paid off for you.

For me, I'm not going to be able to fully replace a car (that dang snow thing again), and I'm already bike commuting some, so it will be a much more incremental change in car expense for me - probably 1-2 add'l day a week out of the car, except Dec-Feb during which I rarely bike commute anyway. So financially, waiting isn't a big deal. I've researched what bikes I'd be happy with if I didn't buy the CCS. Right now, those bikes are running around $3,000-3,500. The bikes around the CCS price point all have some deal-breakers for me: either poor range, underpowered motor, not the bike style I want, lacking torque sensor, pre-configured with all the commuter gear I need, class 3 that can be user-configured to class 2 (Minnesota law needs to catch up, until then, I want to have ability to self-set to class 2 easily as needed), etc....

So even if I don't get my bike until such time that I really can't use it till spring, the question is will there be another bike available before I get this one with near these same specs and price. Right now I'm wagering the answer is no - I don't think those $3,500's are dropping near $2,000 by spring. Of course if that changes or if another new bike appears that meets the bill, I can cancel my pre-order and get that one instead. I thought about this a lot before ordering, because having not ordered until mid-August I knew there was a risk of waiting until the second shipment for my bike. Yeah, it's not my ideal wish, but I'd rather get in line for the CCS now than wait until spring to confirm that there is no other bike near $2,000 for these specs, and then have to get in line then.

Great discussion. So yes, in conclusion, I believe this bike is best for semi-passive and informed perspective buyers. For the price point there may not be a more fully equipped ebike. I would advise to look into the track record of delivery timelines. Launching the Ocean Current, Cross Current Air, Cross Current S, as well as the Hyperfat within six months is a lot of work. The business communication has room for improvement. My main gripe was the lack of communication that there wasn't a black m/st produced between order, less than a week after bike was announced, until after shipment left China and arrived in San Diego. Long story short, was not willing to wait extra time, and had alternate local used bike options. However, we found a resolution and I am awaiting shipping confirmation for a m/st aluminum ccs. Will need extra time as it's being freight shipped, but hope to follow up with review, pics, upgrades.

Hi folks, just wondering about the CrossCurrent S for people who get it with just stock/standard settings. Their web site does not detail a charger of any kind, or at least presently I am not able to see information about any kind of charger included in the base price of $1699. Does anyone know what kind of charger is included and/or have any comments about what is the standard charger included in the CrossCurrent S?

Hi folks, just wondering about the CrossCurrent S for people who get it with just stock/standard settings. Their web site does not detail a charger of any kind, or at least presently I am not able to see information about any kind of charger included in the base price of $1699. Does anyone know what kind of charger is included and/or have any comments about what is the standard charger included in the CrossCurrent S?

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Earlier this year I purchased the 2017 CC, but with the arrival of the CC-S on the market, this has now been discontinued. Could someone out there let me know if any upgrade options will be available to CC owners such as myself. Of particular interest to me would be upgrades to the motor that would offer additional support and overcome the loss of speed experienced when making hill ascents.

Launching the Ocean Current, Cross Current Air, Cross Current S, as well as the Hyperfat within six months is a lot of work.

Yes, perhaps biting off more than Juiced can chew in it's current capacity to launch so many new ebikes too quickly, continuously changing specs during production instead of having them finalized before offering product for pre-order, delayed shipping and delivery and poor communication and follow-up.

Tora, I'm not saying that your guys purposely did anything, I'm saying you advertised this bike clearly stating on the ebr video that it would produce up to 720 watts with the existing 6 fet controller and you are lucky to get 500 watts. I have put taller tires, 52t crank and still can't get an extra mph out of this thing and the top speed with throttle only is 18 mph. I would be satisfied if I could get an off road mode but it wouldn't matter because it would just burn this controller up. I just want the LCD display so I have the ability to set perimeters and maybe bypass limitations and with the new controller and LCD display I would think I could put to use the wattage this motor is capable of . That's all I want, I'm not trying to be a pain in the ass, I just want what I paid for and I paid for the 17.4 ah battery which is capable of a lot more. Had I known it was gonna turn out like this, I would have gotten the bike for $1000 on Amazon, believe me, I don't like going through all this crap. Thanks very much.

What we are trying to explain is the LCD display will not have all the functions or may not work correctly with the 6 Transistor controller.

To take full advantage of the features of the LCD display, both Display and Controller must be swapped.

We can send you the LCD display, but basically it will just show the speed and let you select the assist modes. This will be extremely disappointing, so we canceled this option.

We will later put out an upgrade kit for the bikes in the field to upgrade to the 9-Transistor controller and LCD display in keeping with our philosophy of backwards compatibility when ever possible.

Apparently the black cross currents m are out of stock along with black step thru not being produced. I would think that would be one of the most popular options. I wonder how many were produced? You will need to choose between red, aluminum, or waiting. In the Juiced boxing video there might be less than 20 black bikes shown.

Last edited:
Apparently the black cross currents m are out of stock along with black step thru not being produced. I would think that would be one of the most popular options. I wonder how many were produced? You will need to choose between red, aluminum, or waiting. In the Juiced boxing video there might be less than 20 black bikes shown.
I see your point - but oddly, most, if not all, of the few pictures I've seen of CCS in the wild seem to be black ones.

Give it a little time. The internet travels at the speed of light, but it takes a surprisingly long time for new products to get out in the wild.

We started making the CrossCurrent in late 2013, it was first shown publicly at Interbike 2014. More or less exactly the same -just a different kind of torque sensor.

Just now people are starting to hear about it and we are coming towards 2018!!

On top of this, a very small percentage of customers actually buy the bike, take the picture, download the image from their phone to their computer, sign up to be a member of the forum, then upload the image. So please be patient, it will surface.

@Rooster and @ebikeHIgh. I can understand your frustrations but I'd cut Tora some slack. I've done business in China for over 15 years in industrial manufacturing applications. It's not easy to design/pilot/prototype/ramp up and commercially produce. All in a short time p period with iterations and improvements at each stage. I've been following Tora's updates for both the CCS and HYPE. It's remarkable that he's kept up the communication on top of the day to day challenges.

It seems that Rooster accepted the compromise offer extended while not understanding the difference between controller and display. Tora is trying to make you whole. He doesn't deserve to be dissed biblically from what I can see in the thread.

So for the CCS, 5 frame sizes across 3 colors means 15 fundamental builds. It's unrealistic to expect that the first container will have a few of each. Perhaps the spec sheet could be updated with "planned sizes" and ETA for each.

And ebikehigh, I suppose I'd be disappointed if my $2000 + was tied up an extra month or two. But your getting a world class bike at a game changing price point from an honest guy. Your patience will be rewarded with this ground floor opportunity. Otherwise cancel your order and build a kit bike that suits your needs. On second thought, consider an Amego from Toronto. You might be very happy with Virginia's CDN$ prices on a German built bike.

Last edited:
Back