Crosscurrent S Learning Curve

Bruce Arnold

The learning curve with the CCS is not particularly steep, but there is one.

My wife and I were out for a nice long ride today. Beautiful day, but breezy; 15 mph wind, gusting 20. Not bad at all on the downwind segments, but no fun at all on some fairly long upwind stretches.

I usually ride in Eco or 1, as I'm getting back in shape and want the exercise. Today I bumped it up to 3 for riding into the wind on a busy road (wanted to get off it quickly and it ran upwind for 5 miles.) With a quartering wind, 2 kept me moving right along. Also, I could stay in 8th gear most of the time, instead of shifting up and down all the time to maintain cadence and/or speed.

Like I said, not a hard lesson to learn. Just discovering more all the time about how this bike fits into my lifestyle.

The learning curve with the CCS is not particularly steep, but there is one.

My wife and I were out for a nice long ride today. Beautiful day, but breezy; 15 mph wind, gusting 20. Not bad at all on the downwind segments, but no fun at all on some fairly long upwind stretches.

I usually ride in Eco or 1, as I'm getting back in shape and want the exercise. Today I bumped it up to 3 for riding into the wind on a busy road (wanted to get off it quickly and it ran upwind for 5 miles.) With a quartering wind, 2 kept me moving right along. Also, I could stay in 8th gear most of the time, instead of shifting up and down all the time to maintain cadence and/or speed.

Like I said, not a hard lesson to learn. Just discovering more all the time about how this bike fits into my lifestyle.

Hi Bruce, I find that I draw less power by using lower gears and spinning faster when going into the wind. Another benefit is when a big gust comes along it is easier on the knees as you work to overcome it.

Hi Bruce, I find that I draw less power by using lower gears and spinning faster when going into the wind. Another benefit is when a big gust comes along it is easier on the knees as you work to overcome it.

Thanks! Generally speaking I prefer a faster cadence to pushing harder. However, under the circumstances -- busy road and going upwind -- I wanted to make some speed and get onto a lesser-traveled road. So my cadence was actually pretty fast in 8th. Switching from PAS 2 to 3 as needed allowed me to maintain that cadence.

Back