Crosscurrent Rear Disc Pad Full Contact?

youth

Do the disc brake pads on your CC(s) make full contact with the disc? On my original CC there's a portion of the pad (top part) that doesn't & while it still brakes fine I think it increases wear on the pads & also the disc if you let the pads wear down enough.

Just want to see if this was a design flaw or a one off with my frame.

These things being simple and mechanical are often imperfectly implemented. If you want to, grind or file down the feet of the caliper mount to make the pad fully engage the rotor. Mine doesn't, either. I won't bother with such fiddly work. The slightly reduced contact area means slightly less brake power and slightly greater pad wear. It just is not that important. But you do have a point! And my reply is, it works, it is OK-enough, and there is a professional jig by Park Tools that could rectify the issue painlessly, but just not for free.

You can make all corrections with a simple file and a lot of patience.

It should not be surprising, that these simple/complex things are made by humans who, for the salaries they earn and the time constraints they are forced to work within, cannot produce perfect goods. It is evident, however, that they try.

I am pleased, however, with the great number of things that our slaves, our poorly paid Chinese laborers, get right for us for ten cents on our dollars.

Last edited:
I wanted to know that it wasn't just me. I have access to a machine shop, but I'll have to ponder if just facing the mount adapter will leave enough engagement thread or cause any structural issues because I'd have to take off at least 1mm. It's can be problem if you let it wear to where the pads are pushing on each other. The brakes start to make a different noise when this happens though.

Just kind of surprised to see the misalignment. I imagine these are set in place in a jig so I wouldn't blame the welder. I'm guessing this is fixed for the CCS though.

Back