Cross current vs Stromer ST1 elite

Motodaddy

Hi All,

Firstly, I am a new member. I have been commuting by motorcycle for the last 5 years and I’m tired of sitting in stop and go traffic, burning my ass while bicycles pass me:)

Anyways, I want a bike for under $2500 Canadian ($2000 usd) that will make my 15km commute really quick. The commute has some hills but nothing really steep and the roads are smooth. I want at least 45km/hr. Right now Stromer st1 elites are on sale for $2300 and I can get a CrossCurrent s for the same amount. I am leaning heavily towards the CrossCurrent because of the speed.

I value any input and help making this decision as it is not a minuscule investment. All opinions are valued, thank you in advance.

I would buy whichever bike has local dealer support. If both bikes have local dealers pick the one you like the best. I’ve had a Cross Current for 18 months and my dealer has been great about fixing a few issues that I’ve had under warranty. Most of the complaints you see about Juiced are from people who bought online and have no local dealer support.

I would buy whichever bike has local dealer support. If both bikes have local dealers pick the one you like the best. I’ve had a Cross Current for 18 months and my dealer has been great about fixing a few issues that I’ve had under warranty. Most of the complaints you see about Juiced are from people who bought online and have no local dealer support.

I would only have dealer support for the CrossCurrent in salt spring island which is literally across the country. I have local dealer for the Stromer. Apparently the Stromer only does up to 32kms/hr assisted. In your experience do you think that I will miss the extra speed of the CrossCurrent s vs the Stromer on a commute such as mine?

Also what kind of issues did you have btw?

Last edited:
I thought all of the current North American market Stromer ST1’s were 28mph capable. I rode the base model when I cross shopped it against the Cross Current and it went 25mph+. I know some of the older ST1’s were limited to 20mph. A quick test ride will allow you to clear this up.

I’ve had a controller, display, torque sensor and one rear spoke replaced under warranty. The torque sensor was done at the same time as the controller so I’m not sure if it was necessary. The dealer was complaining that they don’t get paid enough in labor reimbursement for warranty work to troubleshoot every possible cause. Also one time a connector came loose and they had to go in near the controller and tighten it. I would’ve been without my bike for many days if I tried to fix it myself. Instead I just dropped it off ay the dealer and picked it up a day later fixed. That’s why I recommend buying a bike with dealer support.

I would only have dealer support for the CrossCurrent in salt spring island which is literally across the country. I have local dealer for the Stromer. Apparently the Stromer only does up to 32kms/hr assisted. In your experience do you think that I will miss the
I thought all of the current North American market Stromer ST1’s were 28mph capable. I rode the base model when I cross shopped it against the Cross Current and it went 25mph+. I know some of the older ST1’s were limited to 20mph. A quick test ride will allow you to clear this up.

I’ve had a controller, display, torque sensor and one rear spoke replaced under warranty. The torque sensor was done at the same time as the controller so I’m not sure if it was necessary. The dealer was complaining that they don’t get paid enough in labor reimbursement for warranty work to troubleshoot every possible cause. Also one time a connector came loose and they had to go in near the controller and tighten it. I would’ve been without my bike for many days if I tried to fix it myself. Instead I just dropped it off ay the dealer and picked it up a day later fixed. That’s why I recommend buying a bike with dealer support.

extra speed of the CrossCurrent s vs the Stromer on a commute such as mine?

Ok. Thanks again. Just inquired and it turns out I have dealer support near me. Now it comes down to just the merits of the bike.

I rode a new st1 platinum today but I didn’t get it up to speed cause it’s -15 degrees here. The older models are what’s on sale and like you say the older st1 top speed is 20mph (new and more expensive st1 platinum hits 28mph but these are more than what I would like to spend).

At this point I’m pretty much sold on the CCS because of the power. Given I have a local dealer is there any reason other than the warranty that I should not get the CCS? It just seems like there’s nothing else that can touch it for the price and for my particular use. Also, aside from the various warranry items, are you happy with the bike? Quality of the components? Etc.

I would just suggest buying the bike through the local dealer. That way they will treat you better if you need warranty work. I think it’s a great bike for the money. I would recommend getting the 17.4Ah battery if at all possible.

I was on your exact same boat too, really was deadset on getting the Crosscurrent S until I saw that the Stromer ST1 Platinum was on sale for ~$1800 American. So being very conflicted, I called my three closest bike dealers to get an aggregate opinion of the bike. The unanimous consensus was that while the Juiced bikes had a very slight edge in terms of motor capacity and battery, specs weren't everything, and the Stromer was the way to go since it was a built like a tank. As a matter of fact, the first two guys I spoke to said that they planned on ending their partnership with Juiced since so many of their bikes that they sold to customers have had major issues. I was conflicted to the end, but I chose the Platinum, and there was absolutely no looking back. If you can get a good deal on Stromer bikes, I would absolutely recommend it. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I was on your exact same boat too, really was deadset on getting the Crosscurrent S until I saw that the Stromer ST1 Platinum was on sale for ~$1800 American. So being very conflicted, I called my three closest bike dealers to get an aggregate opinion of the bike. The unanimous consensus was that while the Juiced bikes had a very slight edge in terms of motor capacity and battery, specs weren't everything, and the Stromer was the way to go since it was a built like a tank. As a matter of fact, the first two guys I spoke to said that they planned on ending their partnership with Juiced since so many of their bikes that they sold to customers have had major issues. I was conflicted to the end, but I chose the Platinum, and there was absolutely no looking back. If you can get a good deal on Stromer bikes, I would absolutely recommend it. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Ugggh...I’m so conflicted o_O

I have found a used 1 year old Stromer ST1 s (the 28mile/hr green one with carbon fork) for about $2200 cdn. I liked the Stromer and the feeling of the bike was very natural but it is used with 8000kms on it already. I would not have a warranty on this used bike and I really would be taking a gamble on the condition of the battery.

I have also talked to people about the juiced bikes and I think they are a victim of their own success with respect to growing fast but not having adequate customer service to
match the growth but the distributor also said that they are improving this. Vs a used bike I would at least have a warranty with the used bike. Anyways here is what the distributor said:

“Juiced bikes are pretty simple to work on, Tora has targeted a 15-20 minute turn around for any electrical part replacement. Basically, if you have a problem then contact me and I will help with trouble shooting. If we determined that a part needed to be replaced, I would send it out free of charge within the warranty period. You would be looking at about 1 week to get the part in the mail. We maintain our own stock of spare parts here, so you are not relying on the USA customer service. Say you had a motor issue, we would simply send out a new rear wheel, and you could swap it out, and send back the old one postage paid by us within the 1 year warranty.”

Hopefully actions would back up the words.

I have yet to try the cross current s and I would think I have to at least test ride before making a decision. Tomorrow I will test out the Ccs since it arrived at my local shop.

I would not recommend buying the Cross Current as a commuter bike if there is no local Juiced Bikes dealer to take it to for warranty work. While it is true that the bike is pretty easy to work on I’d pay more for a different brand if it meant not having to fix it myself. Literally every issue I’ve had with my Cross Current has been fixed by my dealer within 24 hours and, as a result, I’m very happy with my purchase. Just a suggestion but don’t be that guy who buys the bike online to save a few bucks and then expect the local dealer to provide stellar service if you need warranty work.

I would not recommend buying the Cross Current as a commuter bike if there is no local Juiced Bikes dealer to take it to for warranty work. While it is true that the bike is pretty easy to work on I’d pay more for a different brand if it meant not having to fix it myself. Literally every issue I’ve had with my Cross Current has been fixed by my dealer within 24 hours and, as a result, I’m very happy with my purchase.

There is a dealer near me thankfully. I did visit the shop already but the CCS shipment was still in the box so I did not get to try it out. Tomorrow they will have them assembled and hopefully I will get to test ride.

There is a dealer near me thankfully. I did visit the shop already but the CCS shipment was still in the box so I did not get to try it out. Tomorrow they will have them assembled and hopefully I will get to test ride.

I rode one briefly and was impressed with the extra power (almost 50% more than my CC). One of the cool features is that if you hold the throttle and pedal it gives you the full 20A of power which really helps get you back up to speed quickly.

I rode one briefly and was impressed with the extra power (almost 50% more than my CC). One of the cool features is that if you hold the throttle and pedal it gives you the full 20A of power which really helps get you back up to speed quickly.

Well I’m pretty stoked to give it a go. Will let you know my impressions once I throw a leg over. I have no idea why I’m so excited to ride something with just over 1hp but somehow I am :)

I love my CCS. I got it in September and ride it about 2-3 times a week to commute to work (22 miles round trip). I think it feels really solid and I constantly fly by other bike riders that top out at 20 mph.

I had 2 broken spokes but it was more an issue I had with a bike lock falling off than anything. As all bikes they'll need maintain and up keep. I recommend replacing the tires… as I will do after this season.

Its not as sleek and tucked in like the Stromer …. ex externally routed wires…but its all tied down nicely and the black ones look nice IMO.

I agree with the bigger battery as I have a charger at work. And in SoCal it doesn't get really cold but the battery does perform differently now in the "winter" then it did in September when it was in the 80s+

I would hesitate about a used bike as you don't really know how the battery was cared for and stored. I can have a really short life and replacing a battery is pretty costly. If your going to plunk down some cash make sure its new.

my .02

Andy

I love my CCS. I got it in September and ride it about 2-3 times a week to commute to work (22 miles round trip). I think it feels really solid and I constantly fly by other bike riders that top out at 20 mph.

I had 2 broken spokes but it was more an issue I had with a bike lock falling off than anything. As all bikes they'll need maintain and up keep. I recommend replacing the tires… as I will do after this season.

Its not as sleek and tucked in like the Stromer …. ex externally routed wires…but its all tied down nicely and the black ones look nice IMO.

I agree with the bigger battery as I have a charger at work. And in SoCal it doesn't get really cold but the battery does perform differently now in the "winter" then it did in September when it was in the 80s+

I would hesitate about a used bike as you don't really know how the battery was cared for and stored. I can have a really short life and replacing a battery is pretty costly. If your going to plunk down some cash make sure its new.

my .02

Andy

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this Andy. I kind of feel the same way about gambling on a used bike when there’s a battery involved. As far as tires go I would be upgrading to the Schwalbe marathon plus as a dealer installed upgrade if I purchase the bike. Unfortunately it was raining today and the dealer did not let me ride. Just got to see the bike in the flesh and I’m overall pretty impressed. I kind of like the way that it looks exactly like a cross bike should and it doesn’t feel at all “cheap” in any way. Surprisingly light too. I’m pretty sold on this so just waiting on the final quote with the tires.

any updates on this?
I'm also cross shopping, and the CCS is a top contender. Are those $1800 ST1 Platinums still around? I haven't found that price. Maybe ~$2500, I saw...

any updates on this?
I'm also cross shopping, and the CCS is a top contender. Are those $1800 ST1 Platinums still around? I haven't found that price. Maybe ~$2500, I saw...

Umm, yes but it’s totally opposite of what I was thinking initially. So I tried a few bikes and in the end there was a great deal on a cube cross hybrid allroad with a bosch cx motor and I went for it. I learned that the legal limit for e-bikes is actually 32kms so as a law abiding citizen I opted to go for something with a lot of torque to get me off the line to that 32kms as fast as possible. This makes sense to me as my commute has a ton of stops anyways. In the end I could not be happier with the bike, it’s beautiful to ride and the feeling of the motor is so natural and responsive. In any case that’s what happened, doesn’t help you with your decision between the two but my advice is if you spot an awesome deal on a bosch mid drive give it a try.

I started reading this forum about 8 months ago when I was deciding what bike to buy, and was interested in the CCS. The comments I'm going to make are based on general impressions of the feedback here over that time, and not what I'd call truly data-driven. That being said, I think the experiences the two dealers had that led them to stop carrying Juiced Bikes products are based on old information. Ask them what time period they are talking about. If you look on this forum, there are quite a few complaints from the first shipment of the CCS. Broken spokes, shipping damage, stuff like that. Tora listened to customer feedback and made changes. If you look at the second shipment -- started moving out in late November -- you don't see those same complaints. It just can't be coincidence. I got mine 6 weeks ago, have a little over 200 miles on it now, and I'm so happy with it. There are improvements I'd like to see made -- there's a thread on the Juiced Bikes subforum about upgrades people would like and I agree with most of them -- but those are not complaints, just enhancements. Take this with all the salt you wish, but consider that the dealers you talked to may have outdated information, made the best decision they could under the circumstances, and probably have their hands full with running a shop and not doing on-going research about what's happening at Juiced.

I agree with the Stromer comments--I started with a stromer as my road bike and am adding a Biktrix Juggernaut Ultra HD/fat tire. My local shop will service both---but the stromer is more common if that matters..and holds its value.

I started reading this forum about 8 months ago when I was deciding what bike to buy, and was interested in the CCS. The comments I'm going to make are based on general impressions of the feedback here over that time, and not what I'd call truly data-driven. That being said, I think the experiences the two dealers had that led them to stop carrying Juiced Bikes products are based on old information. Ask them what time period they are talking about. If you look on this forum, there are quite a few complaints from the first shipment of the CCS. Broken spokes, shipping damage, stuff like that. Tora listened to customer feedback and made changes. If you look at the second shipment -- started moving out in late November -- you don't see those same complaints. It just can't be coincidence. I got mine 6 weeks ago, have a little over 200 miles on it now, and I'm so happy with it. There are improvements I'd like to see made -- there's a thread on the Juiced Bikes subforum about upgrades people would like and I agree with most of them -- but those are not complaints, just enhancements. Take this with all the salt you wish, but consider that the dealers you talked to may have outdated information, made the best decision they could under the circumstances, and probably have their hands full with running a shop and not doing on-going research about what's happening at Juiced.

I agree with you that the crosscurrent is a great bike and my reason for not getting it has less to do with the reviews or perception of reliability and more to do with my infatuation with the bike I ended up with. I really think that the crosscurrent platform Is more of an “open source” kind of modular setup where the user has a lot more programming options to tinker with it whereas with the Bosch motor you kind of get what you get. Another reason for me not getting the crosscurrent has to do with my local dealership which I felt was shady AF. The guy did not do a great selling job and was not inspiring any confidence so the thought of going back there with a problem was not appealing. Having said that, if I did not get the cube bike I think I would have gone with the crosscurrent vs the Stromer.

Back