Cross Current and trailer

lark

Hi all

Hoping to gather some experiences here that anyone might have had hauling a bike trailer with cargo with their Cross Current. Like which trailer and roughly how much weight carried and how fast able to go on flats and whether in throttle or PAS. Thinking throttle mode would be most indicative as it takes differences between riders out of the equation. But whatever you know. Heck, if you've tried this but only with another brand that's helpful too.

Or even info on loaded saddle bags is good.

Now that bigger batteries have come out perhaps more people will be trying this. I'm to far from any bike shops with juiced or any ebike to try it myself. Love to get more independent of car though.

Last edited:
I asked them a similar question last month:
"Finally, I plan on using a Burley Travoy trailer to carry my gear when I'm detailed to different firehouses.."

Here was their response:
"If you pulling trailers we suggest use the our U500 which has more pulling power and way more range up to 32Ah of battery capacity. That is the truck of the e-bike world and relied on by many industrial users and delivery companies. We do not suggest to use any sort of sporty e-bike for heavy trailer pulling. It just can't really handle it."

I was kind of surprised as it's only about 40-45 lbs including the rolling trailer.

I asked them a similar question last month:
"Finally, I plan on using a Burley Travoy trailer to carry my gear when I'm detailed to different firehouses.."

Here was their response:
"If you pulling trailers we suggest use the our U500 which has more pulling power and way more range up to 32Ah of battery capacity. That is the truck of the e-bike world and relied on by many industrial users and delivery companies. We do not suggest to use any sort of sporty e-bike for heavy trailer pulling. It just can't really handle it."

I was kind of surprised as it's only about 40-45 lbs including the rolling trailer.

That sounds to me like a stock answer from a company rep not paying attention. Nobodies talking about pro delivery or industrial use.

Obviously for many people the u500 is too one dimensional because they only need to haul a heavy load of groceries once a week. For the rest of week they will enjoy commuting or light errands far more on a faster, lighter sportier bike. plus have suspension if they chose

In the real world few can or at least want to own several special purpose bikes and would like to compromise some for simplicities sake, if not financial.

Many now use a regular bike to commute and a trailer to haul. Why wouldn't this be a big improvement in terms of calories expended? Unless of course the CC frame really sucks more then a regular bike and can't handle it.

Now, (off the subject of this thread) as far as comparing CC to other sporty brands for trailer purposes, it might be one could do better. This because other bikes offer mid drive motors and such. Higher torque. CC is oriented more toward speed not work. But mid drives reportedly much harder on chain and ring, maybe cogs. Also juiced offers much bigger batteries and a throttle. major winning points for me.

You have the trailer, why not try it and report?

Last edited:
I use a Burley Travoy trailer with my Haibike full-suspension mountain bike. I had to improvise an extension for the trailer hitch to clear my big wheels (27.5-inch wheels with 3-inch tires). I use it to carry my photography gear, which is only 11 lbs. My Haibike's Yamaha motor is rated at 250W, so it's small compared to motors on Juiced bikes, but it puts out 80 Newton-meters of torque, which is more than most bikes. Nevertheless, it doesn't feel like I'm pulling anything, there is no drag. Nor does it seem to have decreased my range. The only issue is that my bike did not come with a kickstand. I am waiting for Amazon to deliver the one I bought. I hope it fits, it works, and that I won't have to find a post or a tree to lean my bike against when I'm using the Travoy trailer.

I take my two small kids to school daily with my CrossCurrent and WeeHoo Igo 2 trailer ((Link Removed - No Longer Exists)), probably close to 100 pounds of cargo including trailer. It works wonderfully, and my kids love it. Steep hills require some serious pedaling, but I can certainly feel the assist. It's far easier than when I used my non-electric bike. The throttle doesn't do much when the trailer is on, but I bought a CC because of its sporty feel, not as a scooter. In short, I think a CC would be more than sufficient to pull a 40 lb trailer, as long as you don't mind pedaling.

I purchased my CC and Burley D'lite about a month ago, so I can put my car away for summer and transport to work and take my two little one to daycare. I live in an area full of hills (steep hills) but luckily only have to travel about 5 miles. the assist is superb in helping me up the hill with the 80+ load I'm towing (plus my 180). I still have to work pretty hard on some hills that are almost vertical but it's incredible that I can make it through them in the first place. Also, pretty obvious the battery take quite the drain in a short time with all this work.

I take my two small kids to school daily with my CrossCurrent and WeeHoo Igo 2 trailer ((Link Removed - No Longer Exists)), probably close to 100 pounds of cargo including trailer. It works wonderfully, and my kids love it. Steep hills require some serious pedaling, but I can certainly feel the assist. It's far easier than when I used my non-electric bike. The throttle doesn't do much when the trailer is on, but I bought a CC because of its sporty feel, not as a scooter. In short, I think a CC would be more than sufficient to pull a 40 lb trailer, as long as you don't mind pedaling.

Thanks Jax,
Are you saying that using just the throttle and not pedaling the 100 lb trailer doesn't move or very slowly? Is this on flats? Does seem like just using throttle is a good test for sake of comparison as it removes the riders strength or effort from equation.

So any idea how strictly throttle on flats would do with 40 lb trailer?

I purchased my CC and Burley D'lite about a month ago, so I can put my car away for summer and transport to work and take my two little one to daycare. I live in an area full of hills (steep hills) but luckily only have to travel about 5 miles. the assist is superb in helping me up the hill with the 80+ load I'm towing (plus my 180). I still have to work pretty hard on some hills that are almost vertical but it's incredible that I can make it through them in the first place. Also, pretty obvious the battery take quite the drain in a short time with all this work.

Interesting report, and encouraging.

If you stop on a steep hill can you get going again? (actually was worried this could be problem even without trailer)

Must say I wish I knew why i'm not notified when thread is added to when I have chosen to be notified. Didn't work when joined, then it did, now it hasn't for awhile

I weigh 200 and hauled my boys in my weehoo double trailer (total weight of 120 lbs) last weekend on a 15 mile ride. No problem at all on the flats, but I struggled on a few of the bigger hills when the battery was down to a single bar. I have the 10.4 Ah extended battery on my CC. I've also pulled my son on his WeeRide Co-Pilot Bike Trailer and didn't even notice he was there most of the time. If he pedals I don't notice any lessening of the battery life.

https://www.amazon.com/Weehoo-Kids-...0&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=weehoo+double+trailer

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BD45NEK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Back