Priority Current — Enviolo vs Shimano

RetiredKevin

Region
USA
I’m interested in purchasing a Priority Current, but I can’t decide upon which gearing system to choose: Enviolo or Shimano. I am curious about the differences in riding experiences between the two. It looks like the Enviolo has a wider gearing ratio, but I’m not sure which one would have more topside gearing when riding fast. Also, does anyone have any experience assembling the Current? I’ve watched the videos, but I’m curious as to how easy or difficult assembly has been for owners.

You should ask them what is the sprocket and chainring size on both models, then with the gear ratio info of the hub, we can calculate where the extended range is (low or high).
That said, you may also be able to change the gear ratio coverage by changing sprocket or chainring size. So wider gearing ratio would give you the ability to expand the top side gearing if that is what you want. This is assuming the belt size can be worked out with the different sprocket / chainring, so not necessarily trivial.

I can't comment on the riding experience comparison, but continuous variable transmission is definitely nice.
With the Enviolo, you could eventually upgrade to the Harmony Automatiq (with a bit of skills), if fully Automatiq gear changing is appealing to you.

Last edited:
You should ask them what is the sprocket and chainring size on both models, then with the gear ratio info of the hub, we can calculate where the extended range is (low or high).
That said, you may also be able to change the gear ratio coverage by changing sprocket or chainring size. So wider gearing ratio would give you the ability to expand the top side gearing if that is what you want. This is assuming the belt size can be worked out with the different sprocket / chainring, so not necessarily trivial.

I can't comment on the riding experience comparison, but continuous variable transmission is definitely nice.
With the Enviolo, you could eventually upgrade to the Harmony Automatiq (with a bit of skills), if fully Automatiq gear changing is appealing to you.
Thank you scrambler. It’s funny that you mentioned the Automatiq upgrade. I would be interested in having that as an option on the Current. Unfortunately, Priority doesn’t offer it at this time. It could be something to consider in the future.

Some people have retrofitted the Automatiq shifter/controler on a regular Enviolo on the R&M homage.
Enviolo has installation procedure videos, and there is a thread on how it was done by an Homage owner on this forum.

RetiredKevin
Enviolo or Shimano

- did you decide and make a choice? I hope you found a bike you like!

A little late chiming in but I was unsure about the exact same choice. I was seriously considering the Priority Current with the Shimano because that was the only choice at Costco Next, at the time. But I had more interest in the Enviolo with the continuous gearing over the 8 speed Shimano. I admit I've never tried the Shimano - it also probably works well.

My own biggest priority in a new bike was a belt drive and internal gear hub. I couldn't test ride any in the middle of a Minnesota winter so I took a chance and went with Enviolo.
I ordered a Zen Samurai with the Enviolo and I have to say I LOVE IT. Both the bike and the Enviolo. It shifts smoothly, it's very comfortalble and no fuss no muss being internal gears.
It wasn't hard to get used to, after a chain and derailleur, and it's much quieter. I couldn't be happier. I'll also admit that I only have about 155 miles on my bike so I'm not an expert.

Thanks kneebenderbiker — No, I have not purchased a new bike as of yet; I’m going to test ride a Specialized bike at a local store that includes a Gates belt drive and an enviolo hub. That should give me a feel for whether or not I like the enviolo (even though it is on a different brand of bicycle).

From maintenance point of view belt drive wins hands down. We've two ebikes that are used regularly for commuting and leisure rides. I'm forever servicing derailleur drivetrains, that is just my labour doesn't include cost parts which is ongoing.

Great. Have fun. A test ride is a good idea. I can't imagine the Enviolo hub and belt drive work much differently on different bikes. IDK
Do you know about getting a Priority Current at Costco Next? Very good value and I just checked they have the Shimano and the Enviolo in both colors and various sizes.
I've read of folks on here getting a Costco membership just to buy this bike since it's significantly cheaper - like 20% less.
I don't recall reading anything about it being difficult to put together while I was doing my research. But finding a shop that can help with adjustments and such is a good idea.
I managed to put together my Samurai without difficulty. I didn't have to open the box because the entire end was missing :oops:
The bike was damaged so they built me a new one - I arranged to have it sent to a shop - less chance of damage in my rural delivery area. Worked out well.

One can argue the advantages of getting a bike locally if you like the Turbo Como or whatever you test ride. Dealer networks and all that. Usually more money though.
As far as the Automatiq shifter, Evelo Omega comes with Enviolo Automatiq - not sure how that compares to Harmony. Evelo is currently having a big sale right now and they have a good reputation around these forums. I was very tempted by the Atlas.

Back