Cross Connect Maximum Tire Width

Dickie T

I’m considering the Cross Connect for my first ebike purchase. Most of my riding is done on rails to trails. The stock tire on the Cross Connect is 35mm. My preference would be tires of 38-42mm in width. Has anyone successfully fitted tires in this width range on a Cross Connect?

Not sure on the Connect road bike. Among my top reasons for going to these Yamaha models was the rare use of genuine road biking tires (700x35c)- the difference in efficiency is amazing compared to any other eBike I've ridden. Compensates significantly for the weight penalty paid (still 43 lbs)- any more or MTB-diameter tire and the price paid in weight for the motor and battery seems to me to negate the whole package.

F67

First of all road bike tires are pretty inefficient when riding on crushed limestone/gravel rails to trails, secondly my hope is to set up a Cross Connect with 40mm Schwalbe Almotion 700cc tires which are phenomenal tires. Third part rolling resistance tests prove these tires even at 40mm to have lower rolling resistance than some of the highly reviewed 32mm tires, ie Continental's Gran Prix 4000 All Season tires.

That’s the typical and usual response all bicycle manufacturers give to that sort of a question. My LBS that is a Yamaha dealer recently commented to my question about whether or not the Cross Connect would take a wider width tire than the stock 35mm was...”for sure”. My plan is to have my LBS fit a pair of 38mm tires to a Cross Connect to confirm just how much clearance there is before I finalize my purchase decision.

Did you ever find out if Giant Explore e +4 is available with 500 battery pak swap out ?

Point well made regarding tire width and different brands. FYI the bike in the picture is not a Cross Connect...I think it’s a Cross Core...No front suspension.

The cross-whatever may have narrower frame and fork than the Giant Explore, the latter comes with 45mm gravel tires. I installed 622-47 Schwalbe Marathons and they work great.
The Yammer motor won't have any trouble pulling anything that fits. Just measure your frame clearance and run what you like.

I test rode a couple of e-mtb's with huge tires - 2.5 and 2.8's and they had NO trouble pushing those knobbies on the tarmac. Enjoy your ebike - make it what YOU want it to be.

Did you ever find out about the battery swap ?
Still waiting on an answer...Told LBS that I'm in no hurry and they've got a lot going on more important than my curiosity at this point in time. As soon as I know something I'll get it posted.

I was told by my Giant dealer 500 w/hr is not available for swap or even purchase for Explore e + 4 .

Well , sometimes there are differences with dealers .
Are you still looking at the Yamaha's ?
I test rode the Cross Core and the Cross Current after I purchased my Giant Explore e +4 .
The Giant is a good bike for the money , $2200 , but those Yamaha's are really really nice .
I heard the 2020's are being released , without much change , in December .
Would love to see a commuter step-thru version .

I’m considering the Cross Connect for my first ebike purchase. Most of my riding is done on rails to trails. The stock tire on the Cross Connect is 35mm. My preference would be tires of 38-42mm in width. Has anyone successfully fitted tires in this width range on a Cross Connect?
I have Continental Contact Plus 700 x 42 on mine. I tried 45's but too much. It takes a little adjusting of the front fender but they work great on gravel trails. Bike Tire direct was helpful in determining max size. Some brands (Schwalbe Marathon) seem to be bigger in the same nominal size and don't work. The Continental works.

Sooz , you have the Cross Connect ? How do you like it ?
Had it since Feb only 500miles.Great bike very good in hills. The only thing I don't like is the display, hard to see in bright light. Bought a Giant LaFree for my wife. Would have gotten a cross connect if they offered a low step.

The Cross Core will take a 38mm with fenders and a 40mm without .
As I said in my earlier post, I have Continental Contact Plus City 700c x 42 on my Cross Connect with fenders and works fine, don't know about Cross Core. Did have to adjust the front fender a little but now no interference. I did try 700c x 45, I think Schwalbe Marathon but definitely did not work.

Back