Creo SL Comp Carbon EVO Vs SL Expert

mvbike

Region
USA
I am torn between the Creo SL Comp Carbon EVO and the Creo SL Expert (2021 model). The reason I am choosing the the non-EVO version of the Expert is color related - I basically like the Smoke/ Black/ Carbon color. I would actually ask the dealer to swap of the tires for the wider 38mm version found on the EVO if I go the SL Expert route.

The Comp Carbon EVO is $6,750 while the 2021 Expert is a spendy $9,000. What you get for the money is Ultegra Elect. shifting, carbon wheels, and the road remote (the ability to change modes on the handlebar-this does really appeal to me). These upgrades do seem worth it but I really don't think the bike will ride appreciably better - any input from anyone who has had experience with either of these models would be appreciated!

Best,
MVBIKE

some thoughts -

DI2 shifting is sweet, but the GRX group is very nice and I much prefer the feel of the GRX levers to old-school Ultegra levers. YMMV.

Carbon wheels, MEH. I require them on my mtb, but they don't seem necessary on a motorized road bike.
The R470s are pretty light in any case, and by the time I put on 42 or 45mm tires the % weight dif would be even less.

Having a remote support level switch on the bars is (or in my case would be) nice, but I don't change the support level that often.
I can wait for the upgrade to become available.

And... the EVO comes with a dropper post. That was important for me - I even switched to a model with 90mm travel.

Finally, keep your eye on the road ahead, not the bike! ;) But have fun in any case!

2021 Creo SL Smoke/Black Carbon owner here. 550 miles, owned 30 days. 68 years old with a history of road/gravel bikes, the last three S-Works Roubaix/Diverge. Wanted more miles despite less stamina. Started off switching out the tires for 38mm Pathfinder Pro tires thinking stability. They are heavy and the cornering is less than nimble. Defeated the feel of a road bike (for me). After 75 miles switched to the 30mm Turbo Pro tires that came with the bike. Lost one pound weight-wise and suddenly the bike was flying. Only change from stock is the saddle. Splurged on the Specialized S-Works Power with Mirror. Never have I experienced such comfort despite the price (hard to track down). The Ultegra groupo is sublime. Brakes and Di2 shifting is as sublime as one would expect. I specifically wanted Shimano components and Di2, if the S-Works would have been Dura Ace Di2 that would have been my choice. What's not to like, a 45 mile ride averaging 19.7 mph. It's all better going faster. You will never regret going with this bike.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 7.51.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 7.51.14 PM.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 1,484
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 7.51.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 7.51.37 PM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,080
I own a 2020 Creo SL Expert Evo. The one with Di2 and carbon wheels and Ultegra. Make sure you're sure you like GRX shifters. The GRX Di2 shifters have a really tall bump on the top front of the hoods. I found that bump to be really constraining when riding in the hoods. Granted the Ultegras also have a bump there, but much easier to grip the shifter on the hoods.

Electronic shifting is in the eye of the beholder and I love it. And the value of carbon wheels is hard to quantify, but I think the combination of the highest grade carbon frame Specialized makes plus the carbon wheels make the bike a true performer with the motor on...or off.

I find the only flaw in my bike to be the tiny fiddly buttons for changing the power mode. Even if you change infrequently it is a pain to find them while riding and always requires taking your eyes of the road...and nearly impossible to press with winter gloves. I can't wait for the damn remote buttons to be available.

Really the only two differences between Evo and not are the dropper post and the knobby tires. I switched mine out for pavement only tires and a regular seatpost.

I own a Comp Carbon Evo and it has been excellent, Covered about 600mls in the 2 months I have owned it and enjoyed every minute riding around the Peak District up to 20% climbs ( England) have changed the seat(diabolically hard) never use the dropper post and will be changing to 42mm tyres when the 38s wear out, I personally would not pay the extra as the gear changes with the GRX are great, Terrible roads around here so I don't need carbon wheels and 95% of the time I leave it in eco mode having tweeked it in the Mission Control so don't need remote shifting.

Wow this is my first post to this forum - I did not expect such a response! I want to thank everyone for the insightful and thoughtful posts.
You have all giving me plenty to consider - I will post my final decision soon!

Best to you all and happy trails!

MVBIKE

I own a 2020 Creo SL Expert Evo. The one with Di2 and carbon wheels and Ultegra. Make sure you're sure you like GRX shifters. The GRX Di2 shifters have a really tall bump on the top front of the hoods. I found that bump to be really constraining when riding in the hoods. Granted the Ultegras also have a bump there, but much easier to grip the shifter on the hoods.

Electronic shifting is in the eye of the beholder and I love it. And the value of carbon wheels is hard to quantify, but I think the combination of the highest grade carbon frame Specialized makes plus the carbon wheels make the bike a true performer with the motor on...or off.

I find the only flaw in my bike to be the tiny fiddly buttons for changing the power mode. Even if you change infrequently it is a pain to find them while riding and always requires taking your eyes of the road...and nearly impossible to press with winter gloves. I can't wait for the damn remote buttons to be available.

Really the only two differences between Evo and not are the dropper post and the knobby tires. I switched mine out for pavement only tires and a regular seatpost.
2021 Creo SL Smoke/Black Carbon owner here. 550 miles, owned 30 days. 68 years old with a history of road/gravel bikes, the last three S-Works Roubaix/Diverge. Wanted more miles despite less stamina. Started off switching out the tires for 38mm Pathfinder Pro tires thinking stability. They are heavy and the cornering is less than nimble. Defeated the feel of a road bike (for me). After 75 miles switched to the 30mm Turbo Pro tires that came with the bike. Lost one pound weight-wise and suddenly the bike was flying. Only change from stock is the saddle. Splurged on the Specialized S-Works Power with Mirror. Never have I experienced such comfort despite the price (hard to track down). The Ultegra groupo is sublime. Brakes and Di2 shifting is as sublime as one would expect. I specifically wanted Shimano components and Di2, if the S-Works would have been Dura Ace Di2 that would have been my choice. What's not to like, a 45 mile ride averaging 19.7 mph. It's all better going faster. You will never regret going with this bike.
This is one of the bikes and colors I am considering - it really looks gorgeous! I have to say it is selling me on the looks alone!
Sounds like you are really enjoying it. Thanks for the input.

Since the only differences between models are wheels, seat post, and Di2, many of us choose their bike by color. I bought the Comp in white/red and swapped the road tires for 38s. I had a dropper post on a previous bike and rarely used it so I saw no reason to buy the EVO in a drab color.

This is one of the bikes and colors I am considering - it really looks gorgeous! I have to say it is selling me on the looks alone!
Sounds like you are really enjoying it. Thanks for the input.
On the Specialized website the color combination is a bit dull. But if you want an understated monochromatic look this is it. The satin gray is much better in person. Let me know if you want more pictures I am happy to shoot some.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 11.13.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 11.13.37 AM.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 765
@wmason, more photos would be appreciated. I am another reader of this site, and am considering whether to go with the Creo SL Comp Carbon or the Creo SL Expert. Also, if any readers have ridden both, is there a difference you can feel between these bikes? Also, is the weight difference/DI2 shifting significant? Enough to justify the price difference?
Thanks much!

@wmason, more photos would be appreciated. I am another reader of this site, and am considering whether to go with the Creo SL Comp Carbon or the Creo SL Expert. Also, if any readers have ridden both, is there a difference you can feel between these bikes? Also, is the weight difference/DI2 shifting significant? Enough to justify the price difference?
Thanks much!
I believe that the Expert is a better buy. Most people upgrade their wheels first, with the Rovals that will not be necessary. There would be a weight difference because of the wheels, and the Ultegra group is pretty light, though having the battery makes weight a little less of an issue for some folks. The Range Extender weighs close to two pounds yet the two times I've used it I barely noticed it's presence. The first image shows the two-tone difference between the smoke gray and the raw carbon. I like the raw carbon because you can see the layup.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 12.33.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 12.33.52 PM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 837
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 12.34.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 12.34.46 PM.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 785
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 12.35.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 12.35.00 PM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 708
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 12.34.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 12.34.06 PM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 808
I believe that the Expert is a better buy. Most people upgrade their wheels first, with the Rovals that will not be necessary. There would be a weight difference because of the wheels, and the Ultegra group is pretty light, though having the battery makes weight a little less of an issue for some folks. The Range Extender weighs close to two pounds yet the two times I've used it I barely noticed it's presence. The first image shows the two-tone difference between the smoke gray and the raw carbon. I like the raw carbon because you can see the layup.
Each to their own, £2000 seems like a massive price difference for a pair of wheels and electronic shifting.

Thank
I believe that the Expert is a better buy. Most people upgrade their wheels first, with the Rovals that will not be necessary. There would be a weight difference because of the wheels, and the Ultegra group is pretty light, though having the battery makes weight a little less of an issue for some folks. The Range Extender weighs close to two pounds yet the two times I've used it I barely noticed it's presence. The first image shows the two-tone difference between the smoke gray and the raw carbon. I like the raw carbon because you can see the layup
Thanks for posting the additional pictures - it really is a very nice looking bike! I am leaning towards it - the reason it is a bit trickier for me is that some of my riding will be off road (about 40%) so I would end of putting 38mm tires on it anyway. However, it would be nice to have the carbon wheels when I do ride on the road. I will probably have the 30mm and 38mm tires and switch them - in the winter I expect to go south and do mostly road and in the summer it will be a combination of road and gravel/trails.

Thank

Thanks for posting the additional pictures - it really is a very nice looking bike! I am leaning towards it - the reason it is a bit trickier for me is that some of my riding will be off road (about 40%) so I would end of putting 38mm tires on it anyway. However, it would be nice to have the carbon wheels when I do ride on the road. I will probably have the 30mm and 38mm tires and switch them - in the winter I expect to go south and do mostly road and in the summer it will be a combination of road and gravel/trails.
My initial intention with this bike was to ride on crushed stone trails which is why the 38 tires were installed. But after a couple of rides that included a fair amount of pavement it was clear that for me I wanted to focus on roads rather than trails. I think this is due in part to the speed attainable with the Creo. The 38 Pathfinder Pro tires were quite good on the trails even when damp. So you may be right on target with your thoughts.

Back