Creo Expert EVO Chainring Help

covert

Region
USA
City
Los Angeles
I have a 2022 Creo Expert EVO with a SRAM X-SYNC, 44T chainring and SRAM NX Eagle PG-1230, 12-speed, 11-50t cassette on a Rival eTap AXS system. I find that I am spinning out too often. It seems like a 50 tooth chainring might be better for me, but not sure if that would be too far of a step up? I've seen the Wolftooth chainrings, but I have no idea how to determine which one would be compatible with my bike. Any advice there?

For comparison, the setup on my Roubaix is 46/33T chainring with SRAM Rival, 12-speed, 10-36t cassette.

I have a 2022 Creo Expert EVO with a SRAM X-SYNC, 44T chainring and SRAM NX Eagle PG-1230, 12-speed, 11-50t cassette on a Rival eTap AXS system. I find that I am spinning out too often. It seems like a 50 tooth chainring might be better for me, but not sure if that would be too far of a step up? I've seen the Wolftooth chainrings, but I have no idea how to determine which one would be compatible with my bike. Any advice there?

For comparison, the setup on my Roubaix is 46/33T chainring with SRAM Rival, 12-speed, 10-36t cassette.
Have a look at https://www.bikecalc.com/gear_ratios This will help you to work out your ideal gearing. As you will see, the difference between a 10 and 11 is surprising. I can highly recommend Garbaruk chainrings if you are looking to change the front ring. You need 110BCD 5 bolt Narrow Wide and they do all sizes from 36 to 50. Had one on for the last 1000 miles and faultless. Nice and light to, half the weight of Praxis

Have a look at https://www.bikecalc.com/gear_ratios This will help you to work out your ideal gearing. As you will see, the difference between a 10 and 11 is surprising. I can highly recommend Garbaruk chainrings if you are looking to change the front ring. You need 110BCD 5 bolt Narrow Wide and they do all sizes from 36 to 50. Had one on for the last 1000 miles and faultless. Nice and light to, half the weight of Praxis
Thanks for the tip. I looked at a few of the gear ratio calculators and while my goal is to get as close to the top and low-end gearing of my Roubaix, I have no idea how to determine the actual impact. It seems like either a 48T or 50T would be appropriate, but I feel like I'm guessing.

You did provide me with valuable info I could not find "110bcd 5 bolt narrow wide", thanks!

I wonder if I should just buy both and see which one feels better

Thanks for the tip. I looked at a few of the gear ratio calculators and while my goal is to get as close to the top and low-end gearing of my Roubaix, I have no idea how to determine the actual impact. It seems like either a 48T or 50T would be appropriate, but I feel like I'm guessing.

You did provide me with valuable info I could not find "110bcd 5 bolt narrow wide", thanks!

I wonder if I should just buy both and see which one feels better
Put in the gearing of your Roubaix to the calculator, so that get to figures. Then pop in what you think the Creo should be and the calculator will confirm

Put in the gearing of your Roubaix to the calculator, so that get to figures. Then pop in what you think the Creo should be and the calculator will confirm
I guess the part I don't know is how far off 4.36 vs 4.55 is compared to 4.60 on the top end and how far vs 0.96 vs 1.00 compared to 1.28 on the low end. I think I'll mostly be okay on the low end since I usually only use the larger chainring on the Roubaix. There were only one or two times when I came across a hill where I actually needed the lowest gear (and motor).

I'm leaning towards the 48T because it's in the middle? But not sure if that's the right thing to do.

For reference here's the Roubaix config
Screen Shot 2022-06-26 at 12.43.20 PM.png

Current Creo Config
Screen Shot 2022-06-26 at 4.32.02 PM.png

Creo Config w/ 48T
Screen Shot 2022-06-26 at 4.31.14 PM.png

Creo Config w/ 50T

Screen Shot 2022-06-26 at 4.30.33 PM.png

Might want to double check the 2022 spec on the Sram X-Sync chainrings. Pretty sure the 2022 Creo models with Sram use a 4-arm 107BCD spider, in lieu of the 5-arm 110BCD spiders used on the 2021 models.

4.6:1 vs 4.0:1 is a huge difference, as you’ve noticed! i ended up at 4.4 for the top end on my creo, and 4.72:1 on my non-electric road bike. my guess is that unless you’re really cranking the descents, you’ll be happy anywhere from 4.4 or maybe 4.5 and up, which is “close enough” to your roubaix. if you really aren’t worried about the low end, wolftooth or garbaruk chain ring (assuming they have one with correct BCD and count!) is a very easy way to remedy.

Might want to double check the 2022 spec on the Sram X-Sync chainrings. Pretty sure the 2022 Creo models with Sram use a 4-arm 107BCD spider, in lieu of the 5-arm 110BCD spiders used on the 2021 models.
Thanks for the tip, when you say 4-arm, is that the number of bolts?

4.6:1 vs 4.0:1 is a huge difference, as you’ve noticed! i ended up at 4.4 for the top end on my creo, and 4.72:1 on my non-electric road bike. my guess is that unless you’re really cranking the descents, you’ll be happy anywhere from 4.4 or maybe 4.5 and up, which is “close enough” to your roubaix. if you really aren’t worried about the low end, wolftooth or garbaruk chain ring (assuming they have one with correct BCD and count!) is a very easy way to remedy.
Thanks for that context, is 4.36 (48T) close enough to 4.4? I'm leaning towards that to keep the low gearing available for tough ascents. I don't mind spinning out on steep descents, I don't like spinning out on flat and flat-ish terrain.

BTW I have no idea what BCD means 😬

Thanks for that context, is 4.36 (48T) close enough to 4.4? I'm leaning towards that to keep the low gearing available for tough ascents. I don't mind spinning out on steep descents, I don't like spinning out on flat and flat-ish terrain.

for me, 4.36 would be “close enough.” definitely on the low side by road bike standards, but you shouldn’t be spinning out on the flats with that. 31mph at 90RPM:

85C9FA27-AAF6-4590-8F38-670929945D57.jpeg

BCD is “bolt circle diameter,” very simply how big is the circle that the bolts holding the chainring to the crank are :)

to replace the ring you need one with the same spacing and number of bolts. and the right bolts.

for me, 4.36 would be “close enough.” definitely on the low side by road bike standards, but you shouldn’t be spinning out on the flats with that. 31mph at 90RPM:

View attachment 127307

BCD is “bolt circle diameter,” very simply how big is the circle that the bolts holding the chainring to the crank are :)

to replace the ring you need one with the same spacing and number of bolts. and the right bolts.
That is very helpful, thanks so much!

Yes, 4 arm means 4 mounting bolts. 👍

The current non Evo Creo Expert comes with 10-42 and 46 chain ring. My Creo came with 11-42 and 46, I spin out at 29 to 30 mph. A 50 up front might hit the chain guard.

Back