Creo Carbon EVO Issue

Brew

Hello All. My 3 month old Creo developed a pretty loud, clickity clickity that would drive anyone mad after only a few miles.
I think I narrowed it down to the motor and dropped it off at the dealer, just waiting for a call but will keep you all posted with the fix.

When I had the bike on the stand powered up I feathered the rear brake while turning the crank, definitely could hear something in the motor area.
I rebuilt my egg beater pedals because I've had them make noise in the past but that wasn't it.
We will see what they say, maybe the bottom bracket is loose but it sure was louder then any other creaking I've had on other bikes.

Is your Creo stock with no add-ons? A friend was dealing with a creak that turned out to be a loose part on an add on rack that would make noise under certain loading conditions.

Well Specialized instructed them to shim the none drive side crank arm. They claim the noise went away however I haven't had a chance to test it out yet.
The tech did say they had another one in with the same issue and they shimmed it out but the noise continued so they replaced the motor.
Crossing my fingers.

Another thing to do is pop the TCU display off the top tube, pull out the cables and use some bubble wrap and electrical tape to dampen them. Those hard plastic cables are pretty loud against the fiber frame.

Well had to take it back, started my ride okay for the 1st mile and slowly became worse. After 20 miles it was just as bad as before.

I could see cables making that sound over bumps and with certain vibrations but it only happens when pedaling.

The motor was replaced and it was quiet for 15 miles then came back. Contacted Specialized and they had me bring it back to the shop and the Specialized turbo expert will apparently work with them to fix it.

The motor was replaced and it was quiet for 15 miles then came back. Contacted Specialized and they had me bring it back to the shop and the Specialized turbo expert will apparently work with them to fix it.
Both my wife and I had the motors replaced recently on our 2020 Creos within a month apart of each other. No clicking noise but more of a discernible squeak. Not impressed by these past events but can’t say enough about the LBS (Specialized dealer) that had both bikes back to us in a very short turn around time. Hope that you are able have your issue resolved soon.

So PDog, were they replaced under warranty or did you have to pay for them?
I wonder if they are new motors or just rebuilding the problematic ones they swapped out.

In the mean time I have my Orbea Gain I'm using, really like it but it doesn't go to 27! :)

So PDog, were they replaced under warranty or did you have to pay for them?
I wonder if they are new motors or just rebuilding the problematic ones they swapped out.

In the mean time I have my Orbea Gain I'm using, really like it but it doesn't go to 27! :)
Both were replaced on warranty. I provided video footage to the dealer to bolster the claim submission. I did question the LBS where I took the bikes in about the replacement motors but have yet to hear back.

Update:

After the motor was replaced the noise was gone for about 150miles and then started again. Contacted Specialized and they told me to bring it back and their Turbo expert would work with the LBS to track down the noise.

After 3 weeks of waiting I went there to ask the status and was told they could not hear the noise so I just said fine and took the bike back.
The 1st three rides after I did not hear it either but on the fourth outing it started up mid ride.

Something I noticed early on was that the front sprocket seems loose but being under warranty I didn't want to mess with things but now I said F it.
Found the pinch bolt and tightened it to spec. After that the noise was gone for a few rides and then came back strong as more of a creaking then a clicking.

Loosened the pinch bolt and cleaned the splines and then shot some grease in them and re-torqued the pinch bolt, the noise has been gone for 5 rides now.

It's too bad they couldn't figure this out but at least now I know...

….
Found the pinch bolt and tightened it to spec. After that the noise was gone for a few rides and then came back strong as more of a creaking then a clicking.

Loosened the pinch bolt and cleaned the splines and then shot some grease in them and re-torqued the pinch bolt, the noise has been gone for 5 rides now.

It's too bad they couldn't figure this out but at least now I know...

pinch bolt? what kind of creo has a pinch bolt on the crank arm? are you talking about the 8mm main bolt through the spindle?

No, the spider that holds the front sproket on the splined motor shaft has a pinch bolt that keeps the spider on tight (supposedly)

Front Sprocket Pinch Bolt.jpg

No, the spider that holds the front sproket on the splined motor shaft has a pinch bolt that keeps the spider on tight (supposedly)
ahh! interesting. i’ve changed the cranks and chainring on mine but never touched that one. pretty low torque spec.

Had the same issue on my Vado SL 5.0. I had put it on the bike stand and noticed I could move the chain ring a little bit laterally and the noise it made when I moved it sounded like what it did when riding. I was lucky to self diagnose it.
It is odd that that turned out to be your issue as they would have removed the cranks to replace the motor and I assume they would have tightened the bolt when the crank was installed after the motor replacement.

1st time, I did notice that the ring was loose but wasn’t sure if it was supposed to be or not. The shop heard the noise and replaced the motor. When I got it back the chain ring was tight but after 100miles or so the noise came back. The chain ring was maybe slightly loose but again I didn’t want to mess with it.

2nd time, I think they tore into it put it back together took it out and said they couldn’t hear anything. So I pick it up and sure enough I didn’t hear anything either until the 3rd or 4th ride. When I returned home I found the chain ring was loose so I tightened it to specs and the noise went away.

The noise came back after a few more rides but more of a creaking this time rather than a clicking. The chain ring was ever so slightly loose. At that point I loosened it up, sprayed degreaser in the spline area to clean it out and then sprayed some lithium grease in there. Tightened it up to specs and it’s been quiet for over 100 miles so far..

Side note: I picked up a Roval Terra CLX Boost wheelset so I can switch between gravel and road tires. These are my 1st carbonfiber wheels and they feel great. Also got ride of the dropper seat post, never see myself using it. The bike is just the way I want it now.

Back