Creo at 1000 miles

Saratoga Dave

Quick update. My Creo went over 1000 miles the other day, exactly three months since I got it. I have a Giant Toughroad that I ride also, so they sort of take turns.

This is the Bargain Basement Creo, the SL5 Aluminum frame. Almost every bike I’ve had since the 90s has been aluminum, so no reason to change now.

So thanks to some of our friends here who pointed me at this thing - eLevity, Kahn, Mschwett, and of course Prairie Dog, among others - I have enjoyed riding it more than any other bike I’ve ever owned. It is just outstanding, hard to come up with enough superlatives to describe it.

This has nowhere near the power of my Toughroad or my Civante (which this replaced). A different story altogether. The Creo is ready to run at all times, but it expects you to bring your A game as well. I feel so much more involved in the ride on this, very much like a good acoustic road bike. I spend a great percentage of time riding it unpowered, and when I do kick it into Eco, I have it programmed to deliver quite low assist (and increased miles). Sport is for the more serious hills at 55/80, and Turbo, which hardly ever gets used, is at 100.

This is the road version, with two modifications: I swapped out the 46 tooth chainring for a 42 for more hill climbing oomph, and put Pathfinder Sport 42mm tires on it. Even with the bigger tires, it is a very fast, super smooth bike. I do just enough low level gravel on it that I wanted to up the tire size from the 28s (or is it 30s) that it came with. Pumped up pretty hard, the ride is comfortable and brisk.

Future Shock is a way bigger deal than I expected it to be. When I ride the Toughroad over the same gravel or dirt paths a day after doing them on the Creo, I am quickly reminded of how nice it is.

Don’t really know what else I haven’t already said in other entries. With the Tour de France currently on, I have a deal with myself that I am not allowed to turn the race on unless I have already done 30 miles each day. Can’t wait to get out there in the morning for those couple of hours! Truly a wonderful bike, would recommend it to anyone who has loved riding a good road bike but just needs a little boost now. Puts you right back in the game.

I guess I would add that this has turned out to be a great piece of fitness equipment as well. I’ve been on ebikes for for six years now after a long history of riding and five years away from it, but this one has really upped my leg strength and endurance far more than the more powerful ones I have used. I find myself charging up hills with the same enthusiasm I used to have on my Cannondale touring bike back in the 90s, in the days when I sought out every hill I could find just for the hell of it. 71 next month and super happy to still be out here doing this stuff.

A great write-up Dave! I share a similar sentiment for my Vado SL although it is a different e-bike than the Creo.

I am happy for you, Dave. You seem to have found the perfect match for your experience, fitness level and taste. The Creo is one of the best ebikes made and with so many options and configurations.

Quick update. My Creo went over 1000 miles the other day, exactly three months since I got it. I have a Giant Toughroad that I ride also, so they sort of take turns.

This is the Bargain Basement Creo, the SL5 Aluminum frame. Almost every bike I’ve had since the 90s has been aluminum, so no reason to change now.

So thanks to some of our friends here who pointed me at this thing - eLevity, Kahn, Mschwett, and of course Prairie Dog, among others - I have enjoyed riding it more than any other bike I’ve ever owned. It is just outstanding, hard to come up with enough superlatives to describe it.

This has nowhere near the power of my Toughroad or my Civante (which this replaced). A different story altogether. The Creo is ready to run at all times, but it expects you to bring your A game as well. I feel so much more involved in the ride on this, very much like a good acoustic road bike. I spend a great percentage of time riding it unpowered, and when I do kick it into Eco, I have it programmed to deliver quite low assist (and increased miles). Sport is for the more serious hills at 55/80, and Turbo, which hardly ever gets used, is at 100.

This is the road version, with two modifications: I swapped out the 46 tooth chainring for a 42 for more hill climbing oomph, and put Pathfinder Sport 42mm tires on it. Even with the bigger tires, it is a very fast, super smooth bike. I do just enough low level gravel on it that I wanted to up the tire size from the 28s (or is it 30s) that it came with. Pumped up pretty hard, the ride is comfortable and brisk.

Future Shock is a way bigger deal than I expected it to be. When I ride the Toughroad over the same gravel or dirt paths a day after doing them on the Creo, I am quickly reminded of how nice it is.

Don’t really know what else I haven’t already said in other entries. With the Tour de France currently on, I have a deal with myself that I am not allowed to turn the race on unless I have already done 30 miles each day. Can’t wait to get out there in the morning for those couple of hours! Truly a wonderful bike, would recommend it to anyone who has loved riding a good road bike but just needs a little boost now. Puts you right back in the game.

I guess I would add that this has turned out to be a great piece of fitness equipment as well. I’ve been on ebikes for for six years now after a long history of riding and five years away from it, but this one has really upped my leg strength and endurance far more than the more powerful ones I have used. I find myself charging up hills with the same enthusiasm I used to have on my Cannondale touring bike back in the 90s, in the days when I sought out every hill I could find just for the hell of it. 71 next month and super happy to still be out here doing this stuff.

i have the toughroad....have you adjusted the power level of toughroad? eco is at 50%, eco+ 75% normal at 100% (rarely ever use) and other 2 level are pointless becuase i would win the tour de france easily at that point.

The toughroad give me around 100 miles for 500wh battery at speed of 21-24mph avg. (road tires) (eco mode)

so...i m looking at replacing it with a creo...

what distance do you get on the creo vs toughroad considering they ahve different battery? witch one do you prefer? witch one as the noisest engine?

ideally i would get to test drive one but there are non available and trying to see if i would like it as much as my toughroad.

Like yours, mine is a 2018 and incompatible with the app. As we speak, however, it is at the bike shop since it has recently started cutting off power whenever it feels like it… just shuts everything down. The bike shop guys are talking with Giant, and I may end up with a new head unit which i believe you got as well. In the meantime, it’s all Creo, all the time.

They’re very different, for sure. I have enjoyed every mile I ever put on my Toughroad, and I hope to have it for many more… near 7000 now. But there is no doubt that the Creo is the best single bike I ever owned. You really have to find one and try it out, to see how it suits you.

Granted the battery is much smaller, but given that the bike is much lighter and motor less powerful, and you can ride it so much with no assistance - and dial the Eco way down - you can get a lot of range out of it. Beyond that, there’s just an intangible (to me, anyhow) sense of quality to it that makes it such a blast to ride. And the Future Shock, which I attached zero importance to when I bought it, has proven to be a major player in the overall comfort of riding it day after day.

All that said, though, if I could only have one bike, it would be the Toughroad or maybe the newer Revolt, if it has the same genetics. It’s a truly excellent all rounder, road and gravel, and has a ton of power for the steep stuff. At the bottom of a four mile climb, I want to be on the Toughroad every time! But it would break my heart to ever step away from that Creo. Good thing I’ve got both.

Both engines about the same level of noise. The Creo has maybe a little more whine to it, but neither is anything approaching annoying. I do see from another message that you replaced the crank on your Giant with a 50 tooth, which tells me you’re a strong cyclist, so that may lessen the issue of lower power out of the Creo. If you can come to terms with its climbing abilities as far as the area where you live, you couldn’t go wrong with it.

Like yours, mine is a 2018 and incompatible with the app. As we speak, however, it is at the bike shop since it has recently started cutting off power whenever it feels like it… just shuts everything down. The bike shop guys are talking with Giant, and I may end up with a new head unit which i believe you got as well. In the meantime, it’s all Creo, all the time.

They’re very different, for sure. I have enjoyed every mile I ever put on my Toughroad, and I hope to have it for many more… near 7000 now. But there is no doubt that the Creo is the best single bike I ever owned. You really have to find one and try it out, to see how it suits you.

Granted the battery is much smaller, but given that the bike is much lighter and motor less powerful, and you can ride it so much with no assistance - and dial the Eco way down - you can get a lot of range out of it. Beyond that, there’s just an intangible (to me, anyhow) sense of quality to it that makes it such a blast to ride. And the Future Shock, which I attached zero importance to when I bought it, has proven to be a major player in the overall comfort of riding it day after day.

All that said, though, if I could only have one bike, it would be the Toughroad or maybe the newer Revolt, if it has the same genetics. It’s a truly excellent all rounder, road and gravel, and has a ton of power for the steep stuff. At the bottom of a four mile climb, I want to be on the Toughroad every time! But it would break my heart to ever step away from that Creo. Good thing I’ve got both.

Both engines about the same level of noise. The Creo has maybe a little more whine to it, but neither is anything approaching annoying. I do see from another message that you replaced the crank on your Giant with a 50 tooth, which tells me you’re a strong cyclist, so that may lessen the issue of lower power out of the Creo. If you can come to terms with its climbing abilities as far as the area where you live, you couldn’t go wrong with it.
i will definitly try to find one and test it. I m right at the limit of regaining my old fitness and losing weight where the toughroad is more rocket then i need and i could enjoy less assistance. i love climbing and on the toughroad...even the level 2 is too much help. But yep..that 500wh battery is GOLD!

i hope your toughroad get sort out. for me, the new head unit allowed me to tune the engin down. but i did lose the ''walk'' function. i hope it works for yours...such a fun machine. mine is derestricted so when i want to go really fast and go up in level 4-5...it really become a motorbike!

the creo look amazing.....more refine!

Let’s see here, mid June, so 14 months old and the Creo is passing 3400 miles now. Zero issues still.

I did buy it road remotes this spring, which I now realize are a necessity, and I finally put away the iPhone and got it a Garmin Explore 2. Lots of data to play with, and it turns out that a bike computer is indeed superior overall to the phone. I held out a long time!

Bought a range extender also, but I find I don’t bother with it most of the time. My rides still tend to be in the 30 mile range. I will be doing some longer stuff this summer though, in and around the Adirondacks, so it will see some usage then.

As before, cannot recommend the Creo highly enough. Still puts a smile on my face and a sense of well being every single time I ride it. When the new motor version drops, it should be even better if they leave the rest of it alone.

Depending on the ride, my Cannondale Neo Lefty 3, with the Bosch gen 4 motor and 500W battery, can get phenomenal mileage out of one charge, depending on who I ride with.
If I ride with my seniors group I can do most of the ride without power. The last ride we were on I covered 65km and only used 15% of my battery. Often, if I ride by myself, I usually keep the power on level 1, travelling at a faster pace and use more watts. Riding by myself I can usually get around 140km on a single charge.
Lately, when I ride by myself I've been upping the power level, because power is addictive and hyper-milling, after a while, becoming boring.

Having said that, I still really enjoy riding my Giant Defy carbon road bike. The hills.......not so much. :p

Lately, when I ride by myself I've been upping the power level, because power is addictive and hyper-milling, after a while, becoming boring.
As of the last couple of weeks I find myself doing the same as you mentioned above :)
My rides are typically 34 miles w/2400' of cumulative elevation gain. If I average 15mph I use about 64% of the 625wh battery.
Upping the average to 16.5mph about 85% but it definitely puts more smiles :):):) on my face.
This is weekdays....hardly no traffic....weekends not advisable .

I ride the River Mountains Loop Trail near Henderson, NV almost exclusively .

Back