Creo - Al vs Comp Carbon

tbar23

Hi Specialized fans,

I am starting to lean towards a Creo SL for a commuter (see thread here: Commuter eBike for cyclist
Has anyone done any back-to-back comparisons of Al vs Comp Carbon?
With the Future Shock and some wider tires running low pressure and tubeless, I’m thinking that there is not much reason to go with carbon for a commuter. I could save the $1500 and apply towards range extender battery.
I would be adding fenders and a rack (and likely carry at least one pannier), so the weight difference won’t really matter.

Does anyone know how wide of a tire will fit a Creo? (Just found a cyclingtips.com article that claims up to 42mm).

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Before the virus hit I had a chance to take both models for a test ride. I only noticed two small differences between the two ebikes:

1. The carbon bike was more compliant in the rear. The aluminum model felt stiffer-not as comfortable.

2. I was surprised that I was able to notice the power difference between the two bikes on a really steep, short hill. I rode up the same hill on both bikes, one right after the other. The second ride up the hill was on the carbon bike and the hill felt easier. The only reason I can think of is the approximately 4 pound difference in weight between the two models.
I couldn't tell any difference on a slight incline or on the flats.

Conclusion: I'd buy the aluminum model. The slight differences isn't worth the money (for me).

Thanks @Deacon Blues - I think I saw your post about the hill elsewhere and it briefly gave me pause. Then I realized that my route is reasonably flat and I would be adding another few pounds with fenders, rack and panniers. At that point (plus me), the percentage weight changes just aren’t that significant.

Of course, that same line of thinking gets me wondering whether the SL1.1 motor and 460Wh battery are enough ...

Yeah, it has dropout eyelets as well as a rear rack seat collar and a fender mounting point where the seat stays and seat tube meet. My understanding is that theses features exist on both the E5 Al version as well as the carbon frames.

I read somewhere (here in the forum?) that the alloy and the carbon versions have slightly different mounting points/threads, the alloy version slightly more.
I can have a look at my Comp.

Deacon I understood your comparison from the two frames that the difference for you was more than "slightly". But maybe I interpreted it the way I wanted it to read... ;-)
Afaik many carbon frames are also slightly faster (especially uphill) than the alloy version because of the better stiffness in the drive train. I had the same impression when testing several gravel bikes 2018 and I don't think it's just because of the weight difference, which is normally maybe just around one pound, also between the E5 and the comp with the same components.

As my use is gravel and there's no E5 Evo, my point of view was: Gravel bar, dropper post, gravel tires what I all wanted, so the real price difference for me between E5 and Comp is around 1000€. At the end it's even less as I'm using the future shock adjustment more than expected, so also future shock 2.0 is an advantage over 1.5.
Still a lot of money just for a better frame material but it's the best carbon/frame spezialized makes, not the medium carbon they also offer for other models. And there are other brands which claim similiar prices for their carbon frames.
What also made me go for carbon, that I lost completely my former fear that I will damage a carbon frame sooner/easier than an alloy frame in daily use. I saw a few videos where they tortured a carbon and an alloy frame of the same bike in serveral ways and the carbon one always stood much longer.
And even if some components of the Comp are dissappointing for the price, a good frame is a good base for tuning while an alloy frame always stays. But the higher carbons models from Expert on are much more pricy just for the better parts.

None of this points maybe a reason for you, but I wouldn't decide it just theoretical. As E5 and Comp are the same apart from the frame and future shock, they are easy to compare. Try a longer test ride on both versions and then decide.

I did like the carbon Creo better, but the difference between the Comp E5 and Turbo SL Expert (the bike I rode) was a whopping $3500.

The carbon bike was better, but not THAT much better.

Yeah, it has dropout eyelets as well as a rear rack seat collar and a fender mounting point where the seat stays and seat tube meet. My understanding is that theses features exist on both the E5 Al version as well as the carbon frames.
You will need to source a seat collar for the carbon. I used another brand that was slightly bigger than spec, and it held.
Also, in my rack install, the lower eyelets are too close to the thru axel lever, preventing rear wheel removal. So you will need to replace that part also if a rack on a Creo is your goal.

Back