Credit Card Warranty

psy1

I am in the market for my first eBike. Seems like a lot of people have warranty issues, mostly resolved by a lot of back and forth with the manufacturer or dealer. An eBike seems like an ideal product for using a credit card to get the one-year warranty extension. Has anyone actually used the credit card warranty? Which card did you use, how easy was it to access the warranty, and how effective was the outcome?

If you deal with the more established sellers, like Rad, ought to be a decent warranty.

The Visa warranty, which I have never used on anything, doesn't apply to motorized vehicles, so I presume that leaves out ebikes.

I wonder how your story ended up? I'm on the lookout for an eBike, but the store insists I provide them my CC details for warranty. I feel a bit skeptical about it

I've used the extended warranty offered by credit cards several times... but not for an ebike.
I don't know of a credit card that extends the warranty on a motorized vehicle.

Hey there! I haven't personally used the credit card warranty for an eBike, but I've heard that it can be a great way to get some extra protection.
I wouldn't count on it - unless you are planning on something from WalMart or similar where you can show up in person, bike in hand. Support for bikes sold on Amazon are generally a disaster if you need it. Some will not...

If you're planning on bikes sold direct to customer (DTS) it's a pretty good idea to have some due diligence under your belt. And don't use the number of negative replies found here - without knowing what kind of numbers the manf. is doing. The Rad bikes for example, as mentioned above, have a lot of negative reports - but when you compare that number to the number of bikes they've put on the road, you see the complaints are in a vast minority....

My credit card company provides extended warranty coverage on most purchases but there is fine print to read. I would check first before buying.

Relying on credit card company extended benefits is not without some risk. Even though my credit card covers vehicle damage on rentals, I always take the insurance through the rental agency anyway. I adopted this policy after a coworker had an incident with a rental car. He declined the rental agency insurance and opted for his credit card coverage instead. He was T-boned at an intersection when a drunk ran a red light. Thankfully, no one was seriously hurt but the rental was totalled. The fine print on the rental contract stated that he was immediately responsible for the vehicle damage. He filed a claim with the credit card company but he had to pay over $12K to the rental agency while the claim was being processed. He eventually got the money back but it took over 6 months while the credit card company investigated the incident.

My credit card company provides extended warranty coverage on most purchases but there is fine print to read. I would check first before buying.

Relying on credit card company extended benefits is not without some risk. Even though my credit card covers vehicle damage on rentals, I always take the insurance through the rental agency anyway. I adopted this policy after a coworker had an incident with a rental car. He declined the rental agency insurance and opted for his credit card coverage instead. He was T-boned at an intersection when a drunk ran a red light. Thankfully, no one was seriously hurt but the rental was totalled. The fine print on the rental contract stated that he was immediately responsible for the vehicle damage. He filed a claim with the credit card company but he had to pay over $12K to the rental agency while the claim was being processed. He eventually got the money back but it took over 6 months while the credit card company investigated the incident.
Well the car rental company can ask for the money immediately.. but I for one would not have paid them. I would have told them to deal with my insurance. Period.
As far as credit card extended warranties usually work... They are an extension of the manufacturers warranty. Anything that needs to be repaired uses the same procedure as the manufacturer and/or service centers who in turn supply an invoice or estimate for which you will be reimbursed up to the amount charged to your credit card. If the item can't be repaired, sometimes they ask for a invoice of a similar replacement product.

Back