Creaking frame

Jan1of1

My Haibike has almost 2,000 miles on it. Recently it has developed an annoying creaking sound when I'm pushing down on the pedals (no noise when coasting). I have taken the pedals and cranks off the bike and checked them out - they're in perfect shape. The problem may be frame flexing. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Any suggested solutions other than 1) wear earplugs or 2) get a loud radio? Thanks in advance.

I had the exact issue with my 2016 XDURO Trekking S RX with 2,150 miles. I thought my frame or the torque sensor in the motor drive was acting up. I tightened every single fastener on the bike. One crank bolt moved a small amount, but almost every fastener under the seat could be tightened. The sound disappeared. Check you seat bolts. I also like to put a tiny bit of grease on the pedal threads, and on the crank bolts and fittings.

Rich
Thanks for the tips. Very difficult to isolate the source of the sound, though as I wrote, it only happens when I'm pushing on the pedals. I'll check the seat bolts - might be the problem and the sound is radiating through the tubes.... I'll let you know and thanks again.

I saw a video on youtube about checking seat bolts. When pedaling, you're rocking your butt back and forth. Easy to think it's the pedals! I was getting a creaking and almost a popping sound. I thought I could even tell at what position the pedal would make the noise. Hope your noise goes away as easy as mine did!

I had some creaking on my trekking RC; it was the motor bolts. I removed them, added some threadlock and torqued them to spec. The creaking went away.

Hey, my bike did that as well and I totally couldn't place the sound. It turned out to be the seat post was above the safety line. I learned that the seat post really needs to extend into the bike a certain length or you are stressing the frame and causing creaking. New, longer post and I was good. Not sure if that is your problem or not but something else to think about. Good luck.

I've had the creak on bikes too. Most often it was the seat-tube/seat-post. I remove the post from tube, clean both very good, then use a good quality synthetic grease on the post where it inserts into the tube. Install post to desired point and tighten clamp fastener very tight (maybe 15 to 25 nm, check your manual). Has always resolved the creak for me. I do this service once a year. If you don't have the grease use some vaseline. It won't hold up to heat well and will likely need to be reapplied more often, but will do in a pinch.

Seat post for me as well. Happens regularly after a few months of riding. Pulling out the post, wiping it off, lightly re-lubricating and reinstalling fixes it in 5 minutes. It was enormously annoying before I figured this out!

Update. I pulled the seat...checked to make sure everything was tight (it was); greased the seat post. Then checked motor bolts. They were a little loose so I tighten those up - creaking continued. It really is tough trying to isolate a noise while riding the bike! Thought it might be coming from the battery and where it mounts on the bike. Removed battery and rode bike - it still creaked. Then I checked to see where battery mounts onto the frame - very loose and that is where the creak is coming from. Now I've got to figure out how those things are mounted on the bike frame.... I'll keep you posted.

Well that wasn't the problem so now I'm going to take the cover off the motor and retorque the bolts holding the motor to the frame....

My Haibike has almost 2,000 miles on it. Recently it has developed an annoying creaking sound when I'm pushing down on the pedals (no noise when coasting). I have taken the pedals and cranks off the bike and checked them out - they're in perfect shape. The problem may be frame flexing. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Any suggested solutions other than 1) wear earplugs or 2) get a loud radio? Thanks in advance.

If you have not determined the source of the noise I believe I can help you. I have two 2016 Haibikes. The bike I ride the most is a Haibike Sduro Hard 7 SL. I currently have just over 7,300 miles on this bike. I encountered the same creaking noise when applying full torque to the crank when starting out or riding up hills. Long story short, it turns out that the holes that are cast in the motor are larger in diameter than the 9mm diameter bolts that secure the motor. I removed the bolts and noticed the wear pattern on the shank of the bolts from the motor shifting under load. As a temporary fix I put some light grease on the shaft of the bolts and re-torqued them. This worked for about 100 miles but at least I knew what the problem was.
As a permanent fix, and I am pretty sure this will void any warranty, I used a 10mm reamer to enlarge the mount holes in the motor casting. I inserted a 10mm stainless steel tube cut to the width of the motor. The inner diameter of the tube is 9mm, same as the mounting bolts. re-assembled and re-torqued the bolts and have not made any more creaking for over 5000 miles now. I believe this is a design error but after numerous phone calls I realized I would need to repair this on my own or live with the noise. The same thing happened on my other Haibike Sduro SM at 1000 miles so I knew exactly what I needed to do. I am 6ft 4 and weigh about 215 lbs so I suspect lighter riders may never encounter this problem.

Back