Crank set change

redhotlava

Hey guys, can someone help me with the tools required here please?

I need to replace my crank set, I have the replacement pedals and crank set from Rad.

So far I gather I need a
-22mm crank puller
-Torque wrench
-Pedal wrench (I just want one, I know they sent the tool but it's dinky)
-What size allen wrench or hex key do I need to get the crank arms off?
-Any other tools I'm missing?

What grease or anti-seize do you recommend?

THANKS!!!!

You need a tool to remove the crank arm bolts. It might be an 8mm hex key, or if the crank has a dustcap over the 22mm threads, there will be a 14mm bolt head underneath; in that case you will need a 14mm socket. If they crank puller does not have a handle, you will need a wrench to screw it into the crank arm, and a wrench to tighten the extraction bolt itself. An an 8" or larger adjustable wrench is fine for that. I use whatever grease is handy; some people even use petroleum jelly. I have never used ant-sieze on crank bolts or pedals, but there is no reason why you cannot.

You need a tool to remove the crank arm bolts. It might be an 8mm hex key, or if the crank has a dustcap over the 22mm threads, there will be a 14mm bolt head underneath; in that case you will need a 14mm socket. If they crank puller does not have a handle, you will need a wrench to screw it into the crank arm, and a wrench to tighten the extraction bolt itself. An an 8" or larger adjustable wrench is fine for that. I use whatever grease is handy; some people even use petroleum jelly. I have never used ant-sieze on crank bolts or pedals, but there is no reason why you cannot.

Thank you for the info Nova!

A single allen wrench is a buck or two, while a whole set is $5-8. Best to buy a folding set and keep it in your emergency bike tool kit.

You don't really need a torque wrench for pedals.

No torque wrench...just tighten the crank, and check periodically... you're pulling onto a taper. Pedal, any 15mm wrench. Pedals cannot loosen, as they're reverse threaded. Get a set of hex keys....crank probably 8-10mm. Any grease...you're preventing seizure on dissimilar metals, which occurs in crank, pedal, and stem.

Last edited:
Back