crank arms for pw motor

kit holmes

I get a lot of peddle strikes with my haibike yamaha pw ebike .
Considering shorter crank arms to help with this.
Yamaha PW motor has square tapered crank arms, Are they the same as standard mountain bike parts?
Maybe a different offset?

The right arm is rather unique in that right arms usually have a spider for the chainrings to attach to, which is not the case with the right arms on Yamaha motors. So you cannot walk into any LBS and buy a set of arms; they would need to be special ordered through Haibike.

Yamaha PW motor has square tapered crank arms, Are they the same as standard mountain bike parts?
If your bike has full suspension, check your rear shock's sag. If it's above 25-30%, that can cause increased pedal strikes (some say 20-25%).

Last edited:
Thanks, I've ridden standard mtb's for about 30yrs, hardly ever have strikes on them.
Maybe something to do with the wider Q factor on my ebike.
Plus, there's a different peddling cadence compared to my standard bikes, might contribute.
Usually happens over very rocky small boulder stuff only.

Any thoughts on fitting a longer shock to increase the height?
Ask your mechanic, but I believe FS bikes are designed for certain size shocks. Increased height might affect geometry, which could affect handling. Maybe not in a good way...

I did & he said the same thing.
I was thinking of replacing a 184x44 with a 190x51.
I can't understand how 6mm in length will even be noticed.
My current shock has done about 8000k & I was going to replace it anyway.

I just replace my Haibike Sduro crank arms on Yamaha PW motor with Shimano Steps E6000 crank arms.
Q factor went from 200mm to 180mm. Changed from 175mm length arms to 170mm.
They fit right up no problem.

I just replace my Haibike Sduro crank arms on Yamaha PW motor with Shimano Steps E6000 crank arms.
Q factor went from 200mm to 180mm. Changed from 175mm length arms to 170mm.
They fit right up no problem.
Hi, same here, too many pedal strikes on my allmtn 5.0, after your report I ordered the Shimano E6000 and will mount them. Wish there were 165. THe Q factor is listed at 189 though, the bike has 180 right now.

So, for you all that did the shimano crank arm change that reduced the Q factor,is there still enough clearance between the arms & the chain stays? I'd hate to have by shoes hit the frame while peddling. ):

No shoes hitting the chainstay for me. I have about 15mm or 3/4 in. between the crank arm and the chainstay.
Yes, Shimano claims 189 Q factor, but I am sure that is with the arms mounted on a Shimano Steps motor.
Shion, how do you com up with Q factor of 180mm on your bike right now?
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/bridgestone/1991/pages/bridgestone-1991-13.htm

I just rechecked my bike with the E6000 crank arms... about 190mm.
But noticeably narrower than with the stock Haibike/FSA crank arms. They are the same weight.
But I like them as 175mm crank arms were too long for me. I m 5'8".

I must have measured wrong.... again.
Q-factor with the E6000 crank arms on my PW motor is more like 180mm.

No shoes hitting the chainstay for me. I have about 15mm or 3/4 in. between the crank arm and the chainstay.
Yes, Shimano claims 189 Q factor, but I am sure that is with the arms mounted on a Shimano Steps motor.
Shion, how do you com up with Q factor of 180mm on your bike right now?
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/bridgestone/1991/pages/bridgestone-1991-13.htm

I just rechecked my bike with the E6000 crank arms... about 190mm.
But noticeably narrower than with the stock Haibike/FSA crank arms. They are the same weight.
But I like them as 175mm crank arms were too long for me. I m 5'8".

You are 5'8, interesting, I'm 5'6" and I find the theory of optimal position very important, I'm excited to receive and mount the shorter cranks soon and see what it feels like. Unfortunately I couldn't find 165mm cranks for this mounting system. I measured the Q factor more precisely and is barely 190mm. Distance from chainstay 30mm.

The PW-X motor is narrower. I find pedal strikes on this Allmtn 5.0 with standard 175mm cranks an untolerable defect that also others complain about.
Well, although it is tough enough bike and works well enough, it's an overpriced toy (dealers eat 25-35% of that price by the way).
You have to spend more money to get a serious ebike, I can say this without a long experience.

Last edited:
2017 Haibike w/ Yamaha PW and Shimano E6000 170mm crank arms.

Attachments

• Overland Bike copy.jpg
    Overland Bike copy.jpg
    609.9 KB · Views: 880
Back