Cozy cruising fat bike

Ebikefevercure

Finally had time to scrub the chain and tires... I put this up for anyone looking to make their fat bike more cozy with a budget in mind. I can ride 15 miles in jeans without a bad bottom feeling. I was also staring at the dysfunctional Voltbike I can't ride yet so, the living Rover needed some love and attention too. I also like to "see" the mods put on before I purchase and other videos have been a guide me.

The wide bars are great on the 30mph tarmac downhills with the fatty Supercell tires. I'm more confident at 30mph with mech 203mm going down where animals (skunks), and people appear from the bushes, literally. Hydraulic calipers with 203mm rotors might dangerously tweak your stock forks on front so 180mm max but, rear wouldn't be an issue. Since I kept it mechanical I'm not worried.

Hope you enjoy the short video...

Last edited:
Thanks, friend!

It is a head-turner. Camera doesn't do it justice. Most people on the path say something nice when I pass by... It has a lot of black, the way I like it... Every single person who has ridden it praises my saddle. I swear by it, on a fat bike is a must.

Very nice mods on the Rad!

The Rad is a very comfy fat tire bike and very stable at higher speeds of +25 mph. My Rad is way more comfortable at any speeds compared to my old Transeo GT 700X40C commuter bike. I like there are a lot of mods from larger battery, convert to mid-drive, forks, brakes, etc... The only thing lacking is the selection of different fat tires choices compared to other thinner tire (e)bikes.

My original plan was to get the Rover, get experience and up my ebike IQ for a year or two, and purchase a more specialized ebike like a mid-drive. I like the jack-of-all trades rover so much, I haven't thought about upgrading to any other brand after almost 2 years and +4500 miles.

Love what you did with the bag to conceal the battery! Did you mod the bag or is someone making those? Any chance of some close-ups of the bag? One of the things that I liked about the Yukon more than the Rad Rover was the more streamline look of the integrated battery. I get that the Rad's battery mounting makes it easier to gut the bike at a later date if you want, but I don't foresee wanting to do that. However, that bag does a nice job of making the Rad Rover look like a regular fat-tire bike.

I'm test riding a Rad Rover next week at Rad Power Bikes' Seattle store while on business in the area. Was supposed to be this week, but travel plans changed. I'll see how it compares to the Yukon. Really wish Rad Power would work with me on that ridiculous $400 shipping charge when Voltbike charges only $170 AND the bike comes completely assembled except for the handlebars and pedals.

Hey @PCDoctorUSA ; check out how the throttle works on both bikes. I think the Volt bike might not give you full 750w power at any PAS level from 0-5 like the Rad. I think the Volt also provides less power as the battery is depleted. I still get full 750w power in PAS 5 or with the throttle until I get to 1 bar or less on the battery. Not 100% sure; but, I think those were the some of the limitations for the 2016 volt (might not be an issue with the current volt bikes).

Hey @PCDoctorUSA ; check out how the throttle works on both bikes. I think the Volt bike might not give you full 750w power at any PAS level from 0-5 like the Rad. I think the Volt also provides less power as the battery is depleted. I still get full 750w power in PAS 5 or with the throttle until I get to 1 bar or less on the battery. Not 100% sure; but, I think those were the some of the limitations for the 2016 volt (might not be an issue with the current volt bikes).
Good to know. I've been keeping in contact the with the Voltbike Ambassador who let me try his 2018 model, so I'll ask him to check on those things for me. He did tell me the bike has been great for his commute to work and he's already experienced the joy (cough..cough) of repairing a flat.

The Yukon and Rover are the same bikes with minor aesthetic alterations unless you get the upgraded component version, obviously...

I've hated the look of the battery since 1st site. I used an Ibera "Large" triangle frame bag $14 Amazon. I'll be honest I could have made it prettier but, I just wanted it together on day 1... 3 bolts hold the battery's rack to the frame, remove rack. You will need to disconnect the wires through the frame and pull out the grommet that holds it in place. Cut a hole in the bottom and pull wires through, then reinsert grommet with wires, be patient it was a task, although, important not to tear it up. Bolt the rack inside, baddabing...
15296125108285079333248825150711.jpg
15296125390739185983128966467536.jpg
15296125390739185983128966467536.jpg15296125108285079333248825150711.jpg15296127286561132067519871891929.jpg

Lol im hanging out in the garage looking at stems online getting the notifications so, i answered.

I may buy a new bag and use a soldering iron to make a nicer wire exit. I like it so, people can't tell.

Perfect timing then. I'm just stuck behind a desk waiting for someone to call me so I can tell them, "Have you tried turning if off and back on again?" :(

Something I didn't add is Fat tires throw puddle water in your face! Full fenders are a pain to remove and clean around routinely. I vehemently advise on a front wheel guard at the least. I used Origin8 front Fat Grime guard. I haven't used the their rear fender. I like minimalism for aesthetics and weight. It only took 1 time "parking lot water" flung in my face and I was done.... I also use a Roswell (see my avatar) Handlebar bag when I need the extra space since the Ibera is mostly full of battery. Blackburn bottle boss cage fit the side bolt with washers in between the frame. That's it for now. Manitou forks are on next seasons purchase list.

Thanks for all the interactions! I needed this forum to learn so, I hope I can help the next.

Last edited:
I've got both a Topeak beam rack and their more conventional Explorer rack, and both have Topeak's rail system to accept my Topeak trunk bag with side panniers. One of the panniers started to rip after several months of carrying my dress shoes for work back and forth. I finally got smart and bought a second pair of shoes that I keep under my desk. Anything to lighten the load.

Anyway, I figured if I went with a fat tire bike that didn't come with a rear rack that I'd try to see if the Explorer rack would clear the tire. I'd use the trunk portion of the bag for repair tools, spare tube, etc. and use the pannier that's still intact for my clothes. That's about the extent of my cargo. I don't use my bike for running errands due to high rate of personal property theft in Hawaii.

I don't get a lot of rain in New Mexico. My biggest worry is doggy poo on side walks and horse poo on the trails. I use the Planet Bike Big Buck fender and my Topeak rear rack with quicktrack systems acts like a rear fender. My feet still get a little wet or muddy with the fender; but, not as bad without. I don't think full fenders would work with my Saris platform rack since it secures on top of both tires.

I ended up doing the same thing with my Luna Cycle triangle bag with cutting holes to mount and making a hole at the bottom/rear for the battery tray wires. The Luna bag has held up pretty well with +20 month with it.

Last edited:
Back