Coyote encounters

"​

The City of Toronto has revealed the locations in which two dogs were taken from backyards and killed by coyotes earlier this month.
The city issued a warning to pet owners last week following the incidents and advised that dogs and cats should never be left alone outdoors, but it did not reveal where in the city the two tragedies had occurred.
"Toronto Animal Services is aware of two incidents this month where dogs have been taken from their homes (backyards) near ravines and killed by coyotes," reads a city statement sent to blogTO by email Thursday."

I wish more people would heed that warning. Coyotes consider small dogs and cats of any size as fair game. That's true pretty much anywhere you go....

One guy that lives a couple blocks away here in Florida didn't believe me when he came around looking for his obnoxious little $hit zoo that had been running loose frequently for weeks. That dog liked to come by and stir up our (fenced) dogs, then poop in the yard.

It wasn't until he lost a SECOND dog, just like the first one, about a year later that he started to keep the 3rd dog on a leash while outside taking care of business. Never mind the emotional cost, but that's a pretty fair chunk of money loosing 2 dogs like that, and the cost of a 3rd to learn that lesson. Talk about stubborn (stupid?) and learning the hard way....

Most advanced nation on the planet and we have millions of hogs and coyotes running rampant across the land. Makes you wonder. 🤔

I wish more people would heed that warning. Coyotes consider small dogs and cats of any size as fair game. That's true pretty much anywhere you go....

One guy that lives a couple blocks away here in Florida didn't believe me when he came around looking for his obnoxious little $hit zoo that had been running loose frequently for weeks. That dog liked to come by and stir up our (fenced) dogs, then poop in the yard.

It wasn't until he lost a SECOND dog, just like the first one, about a year later that he started to keep the 3rd dog on a leash while outside taking care of business. Never mind the emotional cost, but that's a pretty fair chunk of money loosing 2 dogs like that, and the cost of a 3rd to learn that lesson. Talk about stubborn (stupid?) and learning the hard way....
And it might do a little bit of good if officials posted warning signs instead of pretending that we are in the coytote territory, and so downplay the danger. As if it's always been that way.

People need to become aware about toddlers left for short times in back yard playpens and so on. The coyotes moved into urban areas because they are safe and the apex predator there.

Last edited:
There is an article about how Coyotes and even wolves live in downtown Chicago, how their sleeping places are literally a foot away from heavy pedestrian traffic and no one even is aware they are there. They are out at night so empty downtowns is the perfect place to be. We have them here in the mountains that separates Los Angeles into distinct areas (and creates the valley that holds in the smog). People fear them when, really, they are important features of a healthy system. We are also seeing owls more than before (and they are dying because of rat poisoning) but when they are here, we have less rodent problems.

They say that the coyotes avoid humans and when they take out a dog/baby it is not for food but alpha responses. Interesting stuff!
I dont believe there are wolves in chi town . Link to the article please .

While riding an otherwise deserted Chicago lakefront trail at 3am I once was briefly accompanied by a coyote jogging along on my left side. That was a great feeling for a city dweller.

Wolves would be hard to imagine downtown, and I have ridden / snowshoed / hiked around wolves in northern MN, but there are some forested areas where I've encountered deer on rides from the mag mile.

Same thing I think . We have Yotes ,Bobs , Cougar, Javalina in my neighborhood and none of them has ever given me as much of a problem as the rattlesnakes in my yard and laundry room at one time .
Cougars get the occasional stray dog here. Coyotes keep the feral cat population down. I´m mighty
glad I don´t have to worry about rattlesnakes in the laundry. Do they really taste like chicken?:rolleyes:

I’ve only seen one coyote (while on bike)...it took me a moment to register it as such. I have heard them though so they’re here. The precipitous drop of my groundhog population I attributed to them. My calves are safe because of my territorial donkey. We DO need more wolves who besides impacting the coyotes might thin the numerous scary (particularly on my bike) deer

I’ve only seen one coyote (while on bike)...it took me a moment to register it as such. I have heard them though so they’re here. The precipitous drop of my groundhog population I attributed to them. My calves are safe because of my territorial donkey. We DO need more wolves who besides impacting the coyotes might thin the numerous scary (particularly on my bike) deer
When I 1st moved here there used to a concert every night, coyotes, with tree frogs in the reed section. Frogs have been completely gone. I rarely see a coyote, let alone hear them. Wildlife in general has declined
considerable around here. WWF said recently that wildlife globally has decline 68% since 1970.
That´s pretty scary.

Let’s just say some wildlife has declined (okay most) but at five pm tonight I had seven deer in the up pasture right by my deck...I’m no hunter, but the neighbor’s kid got an 8pointer in the back this year. I see a roosting tree for the turkeys still active but they’ve fallen off with the big houses. My bird feeders is where the die off suggests itself the most with the varieties diminishing. I did coast down a hill last year to see a bald eagle sitting on a road killed deer.

My wife has repeated chased deer out of the yard for eating her flowers. There´s a doe had triplets she
used to parade out front. They all grew up, but I only see her with the two does lately. Our paths often cross
when I ride. she has no fear of me. I pause, & we have little chats from time to time. One evening a few
years back I was thinking of hunting. The next morning I went out; there was an old buck standing in my
cart port as an offering. I declined. The freezer was full anyway.

Last edited:
Deer are cool, beautiful to watch, until they come into YOUR yard. They can wipe out any and all blossoms available quickly. And a 4' fence around your vegtable garden? Child's play. They hop right over that effortlessly, eat (and trample) their fill, and right back out just as easily.

Coyotes do like turkeys. They do not often co-exist. When we see turkey, it's because the coyotes haven't been around in quite some time.

I do not believe healthy (non rabid) coyotes (or wolves for that matter) are dangerous to humans. Have no ill will regarding either.

The idea of having coyotes present in ANY environment should be no surprise or cause for warning signs (unsightly in any environment as well). Nor should any other creature. That should be a matter of common sense. Like the stupidity of walking a small dog on a trail abutting water in Florida. Duh! There is no legitimate reason to let ANY small critter you care anything about to be outside wandering loose unattended.

Deer are cool, beautiful to watch, until they come into YOUR yard. They can wipe out any and all blossoms available quickly. And a 4' fence around your vegtable garden? Child's play. They hop right over that effortlessly, eat (and trample) their fill, and right back out just as easily.

I agree. We live on a rural 21 acre estate and the deer come right up to the house. They have little fear of us since we don't usually harass them. The exception is when they get into my wife's garden. You can hear her yelling at them a mile away! We usually plant deer resistant flowers but if they get hungry enough, they'll eat anything.

We have friends who have a small orchard. They installed a 4' fence but as you say, they just hop over it. They replaced the 4' with a 6' fence but they even jump that one too. Out of desperation, they got a pair of Irish Wolfhounds which roam the fenced in acreage. Now when the deer jump the fence, they quickly become dog food.

Coyotes do like turkeys. They do not often co-exist. When we see turkey, it's because the coyotes haven't been around in quite some time.

I do not believe healthy (non rabid) coyotes (or wolves for that matter) are dangerous to humans. Have no ill will regarding either.

The idea of having coyotes present in ANY environment should be no surprise or cause for warning signs (unsightly in any environment as well). Nor should any other creature. That should be a matter of common sense. Like the stupidity of walking a small dog on a trail abutting water in Florida. Duh! There is no legitimate reason to let ANY small critter you care anything about to be outside wandering loose unattended.
It's different here. We never had coyotes when I was young, and people are unaware. Also about half are newcomers and don't know there are coyotes. Just before they came up to visit us, a baby was playing there with Dad not even close.
Before, people left their babies in shaded playpens or play areas in the yard. It wasn't like this before, so old residents and new need to be warned.

I agree. We live on a rural 21 acre estate and the deer come right up to the house. They have little fear of us since we don't usually harass them. The exception is when they get into my wife's garden. You can hear her yelling at them a mile away! We usually plant deer resistant flowers but if they get hungry enough, they'll eat anything.

We have friends who have a small orchard. They installed a 4' fence but as you say, they just hop over it. They replaced the 4' with a 6' fence but they even jump that one too. Out of desperation, they got a pair of Irish Wolfhounds which roam the fenced in acreage. Now when the deer jump the fence, they quickly become dog food.
Coyotes will likely still be here after we´ve rendered ourselves extinct; they are real survivors. Other
species are not so clever. In this country road kill has made a large contribution to animal decline.
Before I left Colorado, after a very harsh winter, they filled dump trucks with hundreds of dead deer
on the hwy. Here in WA a few years ago some mystery disease all but wiped out the deer in my area.
The survivors all now have very dark coats & the population is just a small fraction of what it once was.
Pheasants, & quail have disappeared along with most of the small game. Feral cats, they do keep the rats down though.

Last edited:
Coyotes will likely still be here after we´ve rendered ourselves extinct; they are real survivors. Other
species are not so clever. In this country road kill has made a large contribution to animal decline.
Before I left Colorado, after a very harsh winter, they filled dump trucks with hundreds of dead deer
on the hwy. Here in WA a few years ago some mystery disease all but wiped out the deer in my area.
The survivors all now have very dark coats & the population is just a small fraction of what it once was.
Pheasants, & quail have disappeared along with most of the small game. Feral cats, they do keep the rats down though.Rrtoad kill? they call that commerical dog food
Road kill can go into dog food, so can lab animals. When the cheap dog food label says "meat", not "chicken" or "boar" or "beef", that is what you are getting.

Note: "Rrtoad kill? they call that commerical dog food" was not in john peck's post. What I began to type was inside his quote box by accident

Last edited:
Back