Could the Aventure be a Rad Rover killer?

Jimmy666

Attachments

• aventure-electric-bike-lifestyle-2.jpg
    aventure-electric-bike-lifestyle-2.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 229
  • aventure-ebike-real-world-testing.jpg
    aventure-ebike-real-world-testing.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 229
Of course, I just bought the new version Aventon Level, and I have been having a lot of fun with it. I then saw that this bike was released. I'm still not sure what I would have purchased though, if both were available at the time. I ride less for commuting and more for regular (none boring) exercise, and I'm not a big fan of the 'fat' tires. I know the ride is maybe a bit more comfortable, but I have a suspension seat, and that worst case scenario of running the battery dry or having a system failure would not leave me working this bike back to where I began with no assistance - and I live in and around a lot of hills. There are some upgrades though. Integrated lights, better, more user friendly display, maybe a better motor. I'll ride the Level until it's ridden out, and then see what Aventon has to offer in a few years.

I just googled the Aventon Aventure step through and saw it is $300 more than the Rad Rover step through so not sure how it would be the death of the rover.

And don't write off the Rad until it has a chance to respond - "so to speak". It has dominated it's sector for many years with the current design, and is arguably due for a significant update. Like automobiles, model generations are seldom perfectly aligned by release year, and the new guy's reign may or may not last... ;-)

I realized there is a $200 dollar price difference rather than $300. I thought Rad had only raised it's price by $100. Guess I'm glad I bought mine last year for $1499. I watched the video's and it looks like a nice bike but saw nothing in particular that would make me buy one over the Rad. The only thing I saw on the Adventon that I thought was really stupid was where they put the brake light. You put a rack with panniers on it and it will cover that light so it can't be seen.

The pricing for this beast is crazy good for what you get. Hell even the accessories are cheaper. Thoughts on the new Aventure? How many of you are getting one? https://www.aventon.com/products/aventure-ebike
After reading the reviews for the Aventure I cancelled my Rad Rover order and ordered the Aventure today. Seems like a no-brainer. I would have likely spent another $500 adding a new controller and hydraulic brakes to the Rad Rover. The aventure has shipped already (<1 day) and will arrive Tuesday. Rad couldn't tell me when the Rover would arrive.

After reading the reviews for the Aventure I cancelled my Rad Rover order and ordered the Aventure today. Seems like a no-brainer. I would have likely spent another $500 adding a new controller and hydraulic brakes to the Rad Rover. The aventure has shipped already (<1 day) and will arrive Tuesday. Rad couldn't tell me when the Rover would arrive.
Congrats on the purchase. You’re about to have some fun.

I have a fully upgraded RadRover and a new Aventure. I think the Rover still wins in a race but the Aventure is my new daily driver.

I have a fully upgraded RadRover and a new Aventure. I think the Rover still wins in a race but the Aventure is my new daily driver.
What did you upgrade the Rover with? The Aventure is great bike, only put 50 mile son it so far, my neighbor has a Rad Rover, i'll ride with him and compare notes.

I have a fully upgraded RadRover and a new Aventure. I think the Rover still wins in a race but the Aventure is my new daily drive
What makes the Aventure your daily rider over the Rad Rover? Curious how you think the two compare since you're familiar with both.

What did you upgrade the Rover with? The Aventure is great bike, only put 50 mile son it so far, my neighbor has a Rad Rover, i'll ride with him and compare notes.
I upgraded the controller (35 amp), motor (upgraded from the 500 watt Bafang to the 750), and brakes (mechanically actuated hydraulic brakes). There are quite a few YT videos about these upgrades. They basically turn the Rover into a super powerful beast. Most of the parts are here: https://electrobikeworld.com/t/rad-power-upgrades

What makes the Aventure your daily rider over the Rad Rover? Curious how you think the two compare since you're familiar with both.
First, compared to a stock RadRover, the Aventure crushes on speed and power. But I've upgraded my Rover so that isn't a concern for me. But the Aventure still wins.

I'm 5'9" with a 30-inch inseam so the smaller frame is awesome. The big benefit is that the pedals are lower which means I can put my feet down from the saddle but still get a full leg extension. The lower pedal height and slightly more forward geometry moves the rider's weight lower and forward which makes the Aventure feel more lively yet also more stable. Although the lower height also means you need to be mindful of pedal position on trails and in tight turns. The geometry is set up so the bike feels locked in. Riding with no hands is completely solid. The Rad isn't quite so tight as it has a more traditional Mountain bike geometry. I ride primarily on gravel trails, roads, and greenways. Hardly any single track or technical riding.

I think I prefer the way the pedal assist is set up on the Aventure. It is speed based instead of just a power setting which means you can set it and forget it and it still gives you plenty of power when climbing hills.

Also, the Aventure is better looking (my opinion). The integrated battery is awesome. And the extra bosses on the downtube allowed me to mount a lock. And almost every component on the Aventure is just a bit nicer.

The Rad is a tank. The Aventure feels like a sporty SUV.

I agree with your assessment between the two ebikes, integrated batteries look
Way better and are more protected than a strap on plastic box That looks like it was put there as an afterthought. Better brakes, more power, no need for upgrades because the original parts
Fall short of what is expected.

Back