Cordless Electric Lawn Mowers

Drew

What do you all think about cordless electric mowers? I need to replace my old 19" non-propelled gas mower for my city-sized lot. I can replace it with another gasser for around $200 but of course I am intrigued by electric!

(I am interested only cordless - tried a corded mower for a while and the cord is quite inconvenient).

Last edited:
I agree with Mike, does it have changeable batteries so you could have an extra when needed, do they have a one you could try? Otherwise go with gas, something with a turbo charger on it for the thick stuff.

it's gonna suck a lot of amps, and draw down any battery PDQ

Yep, I have already seen quite a few reviews stating it takes several charge cycles to mow an entire lawn, turning an hour's chore into an all day task.

does it have changeable batteries so you could have an extra when needed

The cordless mowers I've looked at so far have interchangeable batteries that work with other yard appliances in the same system (e.g. string trimmers, blowers, edgers, even a chainsaw).

But it looks like extra batteries are generally priced to cost nearly as much as the mower.

Last edited:
Some of the cordless gear will have the additional utility of running an ebike. The EGO line uses a higher voltage battery.

My Great Grandfather used a cordless mower. No battery issues at all.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-09 at 10.28.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-09 at 10.28.47 AM.png
    267.2 KB · Views: 428
I have a black % decker edger that has an attachment to make it a lawn mower and it mows my lawn no problem. These things have lithium batteries in them and they are powerful enough to mow just about any lawn. I use this one to edge my lawn when I'm done and it does it all on 1 battery with power to spare. You said you have a city size lawn so I think this will work great for you without breaking the bank. Iv'e had mine for almost 3 years now and it still works fine. Obviously I wouldn't recommend this if you have a large lawn. Mine is a 20'x15' size yard. https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER...Format=grid&impressionTimestamp=1554825335647

I've just bought one of these:-
https://uk.ryobitools.eu/garden-tools/lawn-mowing/rlm13e33s/rlm13e33s-1/
and so far I'm impressed.

As a lawn mover it's as good as any other mains cable powered mower I've used, it doesn't have the power of my old petrol mower for tackling the overgrown or tought stuff, but it is a fraction of the weigth which makes it easier to manhandle. The resulting cut is is good and the battery life sufficient, but not great. Historically cheaper electric mowers have been semi dispoable things, they last a few years but ultimately it's just cheaper to buy a new one every five years that have it repaired. Ryobi seem to have a good name with their other power tools so hopefully some of their engineering has gone in to this mower. Time will tell.

I bought an Ego 56V 21" mower non self propelled to replace a Honda self propelled of the same size, it uses a 56v 5ah pack (14S2P), it take me 40mins to mow the front and back lawns, that's after I do the edges with Ego multi tool where I can change the head for an edger, line trimmer, pole saw..., Then I finish and clean up with Ego blower, so say an hour all up by then the battery is just starting to dump.

I've had this mower and tools for 2 years plus, mower Blade is easy to keep sharp and to replace, no smell, no vibration and hence no numb hands, it's quiet where you can have a conversation with someone without yelling, the mower even has headlights so if it gets dark while mowing late you can see where you are going.

Battery take an hour to charge with the fast charger

I'll never go back to petrol powered, this mower is just as good as the Honda at half the price, Ego have a back pack for the batteries, hmmm, backup battery for the e-bike.

Just mowed my 1/2 acre of lawn yesterday with a 70's vintage American reel mower 16" Model1414-16. Mows really well as long as you do not let the grass get too tall between mowing cycles. Blades are easy to keep sharp and you get an extra work out at the same time.

We bought a 20” Greenworks battery operated mower more than 3 years ago because my wife wanted to mow some small patches of lawn that the lawn guy kept mangling with is big tractor mower. It has worked so well that that the lawn guy now just does the fields and we do all the near buildings lawns. We have also purchased and use a small chain saw, pole saw, string trimmer, blower and hedge trimmer that all use the same batteries. Each tool is relatively inexpensive if you already own the batteries. All the tools work well for most jobs. I don’t use them for tasks where a gas powered tool is needed like cutting cords of firewood or blowing tons of leaves in the fall. I can’t compare to other battery operated systems but it is my understanding is that there are several that work well.

Late, but I’ll throw in my two cents. I have a Ryobi cordless powered mower and it is fantastic! I used to have a reel mower, but since we go on vacation once a summer for two weeks, it always had trouble after those trips. Plus the Ryobi cuts better. Also, I bought a Ryobi backpack leaf blower that uses the same batteries. It is insane how quiet that thing is even though it has massive, gas-like power. I am pretty sure it’s rated at 59db and it is definitely much quieter than my old handheld electric corded leaf blower. I wish the landscrapers would switch to these, I can’t stand the whine of the gas-powered ones all over our neighborhood. There are plenty of other tools with this system, including a string trimmer that I own and that works well enough.

I just purchased an E-go self propeld 54 v. Piece of Engineering Genius. IMO. My yard is small , it is perfect for me .It had high ratings on Google search , and I see why. So glad the mobile repair man didn't call me back to fix the pull cord on my Toro fossil burner.

We also have an Ego and it is great! We have a large yard, and just about the time my back tells me it is time for a break, the battery needs recharging. So we both recharge, and I finish the lawn. I hate gas mowers, hate the stink, they pollute like hell and you can easily torque your back out yanking the starter rope, so I have always had electric, and went through a lot of corded ones. When we finally bit the bullet and spent the bucks for a cordless one, I was very pleased that it could handle our yard.

Back