Converting to Electronic Shifting

I'm adding this info to the D1X shifter thread in case it helps others with a similar problem.

I've read elsewhere of D1X users having an issue with slow shifting. Archer has added a battery upgrade which boosts the voltage and increases shifting speed:

The $60 kit includes 3 L-Ion cells, which replace the original 2 cells, a 4 position charger and a new snazzy looking red battery door.

At this point, I'm not sure if the upgrade is worth the price. In my case, I was able to increase the shift speed by simply cleaning and lubing my derailleur. Keeping the chain & cassette clean also helps. Using this approach, I reduced the shift time to less than a second using the original batteries. Maybe not good enough for competitive cycling but certainly good enough for me.

PRO's
1 - The higher voltage reduces the shift time by an advertised 50%.
2 - The 4 position charger lets you charge the 3 shifter batteries, as well as the one in the remote, all at the same time. The old charger held only 2 batteries.

CON's
1 - At $60, the upgrade is fairly expensive.
2 - The operating time is reduced from 80 to 25 hours.

Personally, I only have to charge the original D1X batteries around 3 times per season. This would increase to 6 or 7 times with the new batteries and I would gain only a modest improvement in shift speed. Others however might find this a useful approach to solving slow shifting speed.

I haven't decided whether or not to give this upgrade a try. I'll post again if I do.

I thought about the battery upgrade, but like you I've decided to stay with the batteries that came with the kit.
I don't find the shifts that slow and I'm not usually in a riding situation where I need really quick shifting and I don't want to spend another $60, which would be $75 CAN for me, plus Canadian taxes.
What speed I would like to see increased is the time it takes for my main unit to recognize the remote shifter.

When you press down on your remote shifter to connect to the main unit do you do a quick jab, or do you hold the button down for a second or two?

I thought about the battery upgrade, but like you I've decided to stay with the batteries that came with the kit.
I don't find the shifts that slow and I'm not usually in a riding situation where I need really quick shifting and I don't want to spend another $60, which would be $75 CAN for me, plus Canadian taxes.
What speed I would like to see increased is the time it takes for my main unit to recognize the remote shifter.

When you press down on your remote shifter to connect to the main unit do you do a quick jab, or do you hold the button down for a second or two?
I usually hold one of the shift buttons down for about one second. I haven't tried a longer or shorter press so I don't know if it makes a difference. I do get unexpected results though if I forget to break the Bluetooth connection with my smartphone by selecting "Disable and Ride" on the Archer app.

I can see this upgrade being useful for extreme downhill or competitive road riders but it's of little benefit to me at this point.

I have a new ebike coming and the company offered to install an Archer kit with the Shimano 11 speed setup.
I declined. I like the Archer wireless shifter, but not enough to buy another one.

I'm just curious if anyone has converted their Specialized Turbo Creo SL from mechanical shifting to DI2. I'm thinking of dong that. Any comments would be helpful.

***** Update *****
I was going to add electronic shifting to one of my other bikes and discovered Archer has a new model, the D1X Trail (Gen 2). I have almost 400 miles on it now and so far, I like the improvements.

The awkward to replace individual cell batteries have been replaced with an integrated battery pack that clips to the bottom of the shifter body. It's easily removed and snaps into an included USB charger base. The advertised battery life is 30 hrs. run time or 3 months of standby.

The problematic power button has also been replaced with a shock sensitive on/off system. In my case, just unloading the bike from the rack provides enough shock to turn it on. Both the sensitivity and timeout duration can be adjusted via an app. On a recent bike trip, I used it for 5 full days of riding and didn't have to touch the shifter at all. I just let it time out. Afterward, the app battery gauge showed more than half a charge remaining.

IMG_003358.jpg
IMG_003359.jpg

I also replaced the push button handlebar remote with the paddle shifter. The push button model was a stretch to reach with my thumb. The paddle is easily reached without loosening my grip on the bars. The remote's internal battery can be recharged while riding if necessary via the bike's USB port.

IMG_003363.jpg
IMG_003365.jpg

Installation with my Shimano 10 speed derailleur took around 20 minutes including the app setup time.

Overall, I'm pleased with the product improvements but I'm not wild about the proprietary battery. Replacements are $50 but in reality, the original will likely outlast the bike.

Archer has a sale going on now in case anyone is interested:

Last edited:
ya the 1 second would suck as I shift so much. can you program it to shift say two gears at a tine when shifting to a larger cog? but sometimes choose one?
The old Gen1 model had that feature but I never tried it. I see no mention of it in the instructions for the new model.

Archer now has a power cable adapter for their new D1X Gen 2 shifter that allows it to be powered by the e-bike battery:

It is designed for Bosch systems but it can be used with any 12V power source by simply clipping off the connector. 36V, 48V & 52V bikes with no 12V outlet need an adapter capable of providing a stable .5A output such as this one:

New, more affordable 1x12 SRAM wireless shifting released this month
https://road.cc/content/tech-news/sram-apex-xplr-axs-first-ride-review-301887?amp

Not sure of pricing for just shifter, derailleur and 12 speed cassette, but based on the previous version, hoping for under $600-700

Might finally convince me to go from single speed analog bikes and e-bikes.

p.s.- want the benefit of no cable stretch or related shifter maintenance

Last edited:
Back