Converting to Electronic Shifting

Looks like I may have damaged the on/off button by pushing it too hard. Archer says that the internal switch is most likely damaged, so I'll have to send the unit back to Archer for repairs.
I re-installed my manual shifter and dialled in my derailleur, since it will probably be a while before I get the repaired unit back (I live in Canada).
My overall positive feeling for this device has diminished somewhat. 😕

Note to anyone reading this post that has an Archer unit on their bike.....be gentle with the power button.

Looks like I may have damaged the on/off button by pushing it too hard. Archer says that the internal switch is most likely damaged, so I'll have to send the unit back to Archer for repairs.
I re-installed my manual shifter and dialled in my derailleur, since it will probably be a while before I get the repaired unit back (I live in Canada).
My overall positive feeling for this device has diminished somewhat. 😕

Note to anyone reading this post that has an Archer unit on their bike.....be gentle with the power button.
Is this the power button on the shifter module? I've found it VERY difficult to turn on and off and complained to them about it.

No, it's the power button on the main unit. I thought that little button on the shifter module was only for putting it into micro-adjustment mode.

No, it's the power button on the main unit. I thought that little button on the shifter module was only for putting it into micro-adjustment mode.
That's what I meant, not the controller on the handlebars. Not sure what they are called?

I've found it very difficult to turn on and off which is ironic as I got this due to difficulty using regular shifters?

I find the button on the main unit to be a real PITA. That's something that is in need of a re-do/upgrade.
Having a tiny button very close to the tiny light is a really bad design. With my finger on the button a can't see the light.

I experienced the same issue as @Deacon Blues. After a couple of months of use, the D1X shifter would not turn on when the power button was pressed. I emailed Archer and Saul, one of their techs, suggested I pry upward with a fingernail on the rubber boot covering the switch. The boot rubber is quite stiff and can get mashed down, keeping the switch depressed.

That was indeed the problem. After freeing it up, Saul suggested I apply a light coat of oil to the boot to soften it and keep it from sticking. That did the trick. the unit is now functioning normally. Thanks Saul!

It appears the best way to use this switch is to press it lightly with a fingernail. That way, you can see the LED. With the rubber boot softened with oil, it takes very little effort to operate.

IMO, it was age, sun exposure and a bit of dust that caused the boot rubber to stiffen & stick. Cleaning and applying more oil occasionally might prevent the problem from returning.

When I get my unit back I will definitely be careful when using the power on/off button. I'll also coat it with a small dose of oil on a regular basis to keep the rubber boot soft and pliable.
Looks like there's a new shifter design in the works....."You'll be happy to hear that our engineers are working on a new shifter design that we hope to have available in 2022. Cheers!"

I'm not sure if Saul's referring to the remote shifter or the on/off power button on the main unit. Whatever the case Archer definitely needs to upgrade that power button. I suspect there are more than a few Archer electronic shifter owners who have had the same problem with their power button.

I'm not sure if Saul's referring to the remote shifter or the on/off power button on the main unit. Whatever the case Archer definitely needs to upgrade that power button. I suspect there are more than a few Archer electronic shifter owners who have had the same problem with their power button.
The reference is to the main unit (shifter) power button mounted on the bike frame, not the remote unit mounted on the bars.

I received an email from Archer Components about a possible issue with water entering the D1X shifter housing.
They suggest performing this fairly simple preventive measure:

It involves sealing the cable entrance to the shifter housing with silicone. It took about 10 minutes to do mine. Most of that time involved re-adjusting the shifter.

I received an email from Archer Components about a possible issue with water entering the D1X shifter housing.
They suggest performing this fairly simple preventive measure:

It involves sealing the cable entrance to the shifter housing with silicone. It took about 10 minutes to do mine. Most of that time involved re-adjusting the shifter.
I also got that email. It's always very dry around here (worse lately with the Southwestern drought) and I don't plan on riding when, if, it's raining here.

I also got that email. It's always very dry around here (worse lately with the Southwestern drought) and I don't plan on riding when, if, it's raining here.
I also rarely ride in the rain. I'm more concerned about transporting the bike in my pickup during wet weather.

I also rarely ride in the rain. I'm more concerned about transporting the bike in my pickup during wet weather.
Good point - just this month I got a 2" Curt hitch installed and now have a Thule carrier. Bike racks are insanely hard to find right now...

Along with the notice from Archer that my electric shifter had been repaired and on its way back to me, I also got the link to the leak prevention video.
I'll add the silicone when I re-install the unit.

I was looking at the various Creo models and some have electronic shifters as a feature. When I consider having to insure my smartphone is charged and my Wahoo is charged and my headset is charged and my bike battery is charged, the last thing I want is one more thing to charge. Getting to where I need a charging station for our bicycles and accessories.

i agree in concept, even charging my little rear blinky light gets annoying. it’s a main reason IMO to go with di2 over eTap, since the di2 battery lasts 1500+ miles, depending on how often you shift.

of course, it would be great if ebikes had a standardized, reliable power bus connected to the main battery and wired throughout the frame with waterproof ports at key locations so aftermarket things could just be fed from the main battery. but that ain’t gonna happen 😇

I received my repaired shifter a couple of days ago and yesterday I installed it back on my Cannondale Lefty 3.

What a PITA. :mad:

The app, which is needed for the install, does not work well with an iphone. It took many, many tries to get the app on the phone to connect with the shifter.
Then, when trying to dial in the gears the shifter did some really weird things. Each time I shifted up, using the app, to the next gear the Archer shifter dropped the chain back down to the smallest cog. I then had to, using the micro adjustment button on the app, move the shifter back up to the correct gear.

I had to do this 11 times! :mad::mad:

After I finally dialled in the gears I mistakenly turned off the app before pairing the remote to the main shifter. When I realized what I'd done I tried get the app to recognized the shifter again......no dice.
After a dozen tries, including deleting and re-installing the app I gave up and went back to my computer to write Archer a less than complementary email.
After having my coffee I went back out and tried connecting the app the the shifter again and to my relief it worked. I was then able to pair the remote to the shifter.

Happy days......not so fast.

When using the remote the shifter would sometimes move two gears when I only pressed the remote button once. I used the micro button on the remote to move the chain back up to where is should have been.
I had to do this multiple times.

I finally got everything dialled in, but I haven't taken the bike for a ride yet to see if everything works properly on the road.

I definitely would not recommend an Archer shifter to anyone who only has access to an iPhone (like me). The app does not work well with an iPhone....at all.
Archer needs to fix their app ASAP.

I still like this product, but given what I've gone through I wouldn't buy it again. I know that others on this thread have had zero problems with their Archer shifter, but that isn't the case for me.

I received my repaired shifter a couple of days ago and yesterday I installed it back on my Cannondale Lefty 3.

The app, which is needed for the install, does not work well with an iphone. It took many, many tries to get the app on the phone to connect with the shifter.
Then, when trying to dial in the gears the shifter did some really weird things. Each time I shifted up, using the app, to the next gear the Archer shifter dropped the chain back down to the smallest cog. I then had to, using the micro adjustment button on the app, move the shifter back up to the correct gear.

After I finally dialled in the gears I mistakenly turned off the app before pairing the remote to the main shifter. When I realized what I'd done I tried get the app to recognized the shifter again......no dice.
After a dozen tries, including deleting and re-installing the app I gave up and went back to my computer to write Archer a less than complementary email.
After having my coffee I went back out and tried connecting the app the the shifter again and to my relief it worked. I was then able to pair the remote to the shifter.

When using the remote the shifter would sometimes move two gears when I only pressed the remote button once. I used the micro button on the remote to move the chain back up to where is should have been.

I finally got everything dialled in, but I haven't taken the bike for a ride yet to see if everything works properly on the road.

I definitely would not recommend an Archer shifter to anyone who only has access to an iPhone (like me). The app does not work well with an iPhone....at all.

I still like this product, but given what I've gone through I wouldn't buy it again. I know that others on this thread have had zero problems with their Archer shifter, but that isn't the case for me.
good info. Ya screwing around with shifting sucks. I only like perfect shifting as I shift so much. Shimano needs to make a electronic 10 speed mob shifter. all their ultegra and up are now electronic shifting

Too bad about all the trouble you're having. Unfortunately, if you have less than an 11 speed cassette, Archer is about the only choice you have for electronic shifting.

I'm not sure which iPhone you have. The only issue I had with my iPhone XS was not knowing you have to pair the phone to the shifter FIRST without turning on the remote. Once I did this, the setup went smoothly.

FWIW, I've heard that close proximity to fluorescent lighting can cause Bluetooth interference.

Did Archer actually repair your shifter or swap it for a new one? If they repaired it, something might have been damaged in the process.

I honestly don't know if they repaired it or replaced it. I'm leaning towards a replacement, but I'm not 100% sure.

I really dislike the on/off button. Way too small and fragile. I've been told that the next version will have a different/better on/off button.

The power button does indeed need a redesign. As you say, they are working on it.

My big complaint is the battery compartment. You have to lift up the rear of the bike and hope the batteries slide out. Most of the time, they don't, and you have to take the shifter off the bike and shake them out. The small magnet idea works on some batteries but not all. It depends on the amount of ferrous material in the battery shell. Hopefully, that issue will be addressed in the redesign as well.

Back