Converting thumb throttle to twist throttle

Roflo

OK guys, this is my first real post so be kind if this is common sense. I just ordered my first electric bike ,a 20" inch fat tire Volt Mariner limited edition yesterday ,that has not arrived yet. I love everything that comes stock with it, with the exception of a thumb throttle. Is it possible that the thumb throttle could be taken out and a twist throttle could be installed. The rear motor hub is an 8Fun 500 watt, battery 48 Volt, 10.4 ah.
If it can be done, which mod kit is recommended for changing out the throttle? Is it an easy modification or should it be done professionally? Any possible problems I should be aware of? Any links to these kind of throttle mod kits is greatly appreciated.

My first ebike kit had a twist throttle. It really is tricky. A couple of times, the bike took off on me while I was walking it.
I switched it to a thumb throttle and have only used thumb throttles on later e-bikes.

You can buy twist throttles for $10-20 on ebay. They're about all the same but the connectors vary. Three wires, +5, ground, and signal. Easy to figure out with some electronics skills.

I believe there might even be some left handed models.

I will give the thumb throttle a try, but for the few bikes I tried I liked the twist throttle the best. I believe there are full throttle or half throttle option, is that correct? I believe I tried the 1/2 throttles and that seemed to work great. Thumb throttle seemed counter intuitive to me but that could be because i am not used to it.
Any brands and /or good links for standard 1/2 throttle replacement kits. Is motor size or battery power anything I need to be aware of when purchasing a replacement throttle or they all pretty much work for any EBikes

agree with Harry, I like the thumb throttles much better

When you get your bike look at the plug for the throttle and then maybe email Luna a pic and see if they have that one ...

I've seen more dumped bikes from twist throttles. Took them off, especially my loaners. Riders forget to shut down when moving bike around and inadvertently twist...ooops....crash.

California eBikes ships First class tracked. Cheap shipping.

I will give the thumb throttle a try, but for the few bikes I tried I liked the twist throttle the best. Thumb throttle seemed counter intuitive to me but that could be because i am not used to it.
I have a small quad bike with a thumb throttle and a motorcycle with a twist throttle. I switch from one to the other without thinking about it. I have certainly never felt the need to change the thumb throttle to a twist throttle but there are times, on long straight roads for example, when I would prefer a thumb throttle on the motorbike. I'm sure you will get used to your thumb throttle very quickly.

How much work would it be to convert a twist throttle to a thumb throttle? Could any bike shop that works on ebikes do it?

Easy. Unless theres a combination brake lever shift control. That said, thumb throttle s are much safer in my experience with many customers.

Yes, to be clear, I was kind of switching the subject and asking about changing FROM twist throttle TO thumb throttle.

Confusing...but either way not difficult for a shop, half hour max.

We make a thumb throttle attachment for the twist throttle. Best of both worlds!!

www.1859nw.com is where they can be found. It's like a win win situation with the twist throttle..

Twist throttles are responsible for more disasters than a thumb throttle. A silly design IMO. Leave twist to motorcycles and the nutters on 40MPH bikes.

Back