Converting rear hub from freewheel to cassette

Haystacks

I've got 90% of a rear hub bike due to the fact i have basically replaced everything except the frame on my bike so i've decided to build a hardtail rear hub ebike. The only parts i'm likely to use are the 1000w hub and screen, i'll be pairing these with a 1500w controller.

My main dislike with the hub is the fact its freewheel, i absolutely hate the tourney drivetrain which it came fitted with and found that upgradeability was vitrually zero until i discovered this :-

bafang-fatbike-engine-rmg06-cover-with-cassette-base.jpg

However, the hub i have is not branded bafang but it is absolutely identical to the RM G060 1000w except for the word Bafang.

Has anybody done this? Am i correct in thinking that it may be as simple as changing the side casing for this or is this a bit hopeful?

Experiences and observations most welcome.

I'm pretty sure you can spec. a Bafang out either way (cassette or freewheel), so it would be no surprise here if that side cover were the only difference one vs. the other. I'd just be careful that it didn't change the drop out dimension too much (135mm). -Al

Can you just change the splined part? or do you have to absolutely change the whole plate?

Looking at the 2 plates, it looks like they are trying to maintain the 135mm width of the motor with the way those plates are formed. You can see in the pics above one forms a "concave" shape, while the other is "convex". That in mind, I'm going to say you'll need to change the plate - assuming you want to maintain the same dropout width.

Looking at the 2 plates, it looks like they are trying to maintain the 135mm width of the motor with the way those plates are formed. You can see in the pics above one forms a "concave" shape, while the other is "convex". That in mind, I'm going to say you'll need to change the plate - assuming you want to maintain the same dropout width.
Thank you.

I've got 90% of a rear hub bike due to the fact i have basically replaced everything except the frame on my bike so i've decided to build a hardtail rear hub ebike. The only parts i'm likely to use are the 1000w hub and screen, i'll be pairing these with a 1500w controller.

My main dislike with the hub is the fact its freewheel, i absolutely hate the tourney drivetrain which it came fitted with and found that upgradeability was vitrually zero until i discovered this :-

View attachment 71733

However, the hub i have is not branded bafang but it is absolutely identical to the RM G060 1000w except for the word Bafang.

Has anybody done this? Am i correct in thinking that it may be as simple as changing the side casing for this or is this a bit hopeful?

Experiences and observations most welcome.
the technology of hub motor is very mature, bafang and other brand has a tiny difference

Back