Convert front wheel to quick release?

sunfish

Region
USA
My wife has a Velotric T1ST and would like to convert the front wheel bolt to a quick release skewer. Has anyone done this?

Yeah, I had a closer look and would entail all of that. Not really worth it. Actually the hex head bolt is probably more secure anyway. Just have to remember to carry that allen wrench in the tool kit now!

Yeah, I had a closer look and would entail all of that. Not really worth it. Actually the hex head bolt is probably more secure anyway. Just have to remember to carry that allen wrench in the tool kit now!
its a hex head? so it sounds like a through axle? you can get them but you would have to know exactly what it is the right length and thread and size. there is no standard. my trek has the hex but my tandem has a shimano quick release. so no tools but you have to work out what one you need so going to a shop is the best way.

It is a thru-axle. No can do. Just carry an Allen key. A thru-axle is better. No adjusting the brakes each time the wheel comes off for transport. It is faster to change the wheel and stronger for safety.

Guys: Quick release levers for thru-axle do exist. These are compatible with very specific bike frames and forks. For instance, you would easily (but at high cost) buy the MTB standard QR thru-axles (Boost: 15x110 mm front and 12x148 mm rear) or non-Boost ones: 15x100 mm front and 12x142 mm rear). However, such hubs are not very common for many e-bikes and using a regular hex wrench is the normal practice.

For instance, the front hub in my Vado SL is 12x110 mm, for which I could not find a QR thru-axle.

Has it occured to you that a QR thru-axle would make it easier for a thief to steal your wheels?

Last edited:
As I mentioned in a previous post, the existing axle is probably more secure than a QR unless you make a habit of removing the wheel and taking it with you all the time. Pain in the butt AFAIC.

As I mentioned in a previous post, the existing axle is probably more secure than a QR unless you make a habit of removing the wheel and taking it with you all the time. Pain in the butt AFAIC.
Well, I owned a Giant Trance E+ with QR thru-axles and I admit I even liked it, as I did not need to think of the tightening torque after the wheel replacement. The QR handle moved to the usual position (12 o'clock) will tighten your wheel at exactly the same torque (or rather, strength) each time.

Of course, I never left my Trance unattended outside.

Back