Continental eRuban Plus Tires

Ravi Kempaiah

Region
Canada
City
Halifax
Last year, Schwalbe released an E-bike-specific tire, Johnny Watts designed to handle varied conditions and they were released in high volume sizes.

Continuing the trend, Continental is releasing eRuban Plus tire.

1617156422649.png

I think these finally made it stateside:

I received one of two tires from Amazon today. Sounds like the other tire and full stock is coming in a week or so.

I've been using these for about a week, 27.5x2.60, I was surprised how smooth and fast they are on the pavement. Don't notice any difference from my Super MotoX tires as far as rolling resistance, if there's any it's not much. They are a bit soft cornering, but not too bad. I'm significantly faster off road on the trails I ride which are hardpack, rocky, sandy, I'm running 16 psi, and they feel great. Also have some Johnny Watts I haven't used yet, don't think I'll be installing them any time soon, having too much fun off road on these, and not losing hardly anything on the street.

Last edited:
These Continental eRuban Plus tires are of poor quality. I've wasted a pair of 27.5x2.30.
First, the rubber are too soft and thin compared to Schwalbe HS468 27.5 x 2.25. The puncture resistance is not at the same level. eRuban Plus is not a heavy-duty tire and I've got punctures on both of them within 200 miles, which happened within 3 days. Unlike Schwalbe HS468 where you normally notice the punctures after riding home, eRuban cannot hold the air immediately. It loses air way faster and I have to pump the tire on the road. It cannot hold the shape after patching the tube. And the shipment of the tires cost me a month because they are newly manufactured in China, not in Germany.
So far I have done 15,000+ miles with Schwalbe tires though the rear tire already has 10+ various punctures it does hold the shape firmly since last winter. Just saying rubber cannot beat meatal and glass. The only way is to make the rubber thick and robust. When I noticed how soft and tacky the eRuban Plus tire is I knew this isn't a good sign.

Bummer to hear about your experience..

I can't share that sentiment, I'm enjoying the eRuban Plus tires. I've got a few hundred miles on mine so far. I greatly enjoy the ride over the Super MotoX and traction on soft surface trails and gravel. No issues with flats, but I didn't have any with the MotoX either.

Bummer to hear about your experience..

I can't share that sentiment, I'm enjoying the eRuban Plus tires. I've got a few hundred miles on mine so far. I greatly enjoy the ride over the Super MotoX and traction on soft surface trails and gravel. No issues with flats, but I didn't have any with the MotoX either.
I need to repeat this. This is not a heavy-duty tire. It's only as good as a 10-mile casual Sunday groceries commute.
If the road has metal splinters of 18-wheel, 22-wheel and you ride at least 50 miles a day from rural to urban. This tire won't last within 3 days.

Totally disagree with the previous poster, I have over 1000 miles on the 2.60's and they've been top notch performers. I ride about 70% road and 30% offroad, and have a plenty of power, 2500 watts, and I've had these up to 40 mph on the road and they are fast and smooth, and I've run downhill runs through rough rocky terrain, as well as gravel roads, I run them at 15 psi offroad and they rip, they've held up beautifully, barely any wear on the tires, although the rear has a tiny bit of wear. Any tire that passes the Euro E50 test has to run for 24 hours at 50 kmh with a heavy load, over 2 times the rated load, so that's not going to be a measly weak tire. I previously ran Super motoX and they are also excellent tires, just more road oriented and not as versatile as these. I think these ride just a bit softer than the MotoX, the knobs seem to give a bit of extra cushion.

Last edited:
You've missed the point. A heavy-duty tire is one that has enormous punctures but still holds up. You haven't had a puncture against metal or glass so it seems your road condition is good, unlike mine. My road is like a scrapyard full of 18-wheels and debris. Rubber is not metal. Every bicycle tire has punctures but not every one of them can hold up the shape or the air. ERuban is not good for me. Once the tire has a puncture it is done.

We purchased a Giant FastRoad E+ EX Pro for me, and a Giant Liv Thrive E+ EX Pro for my wife last August. Can’t say enough about those ebikes and how they have performed, but this comment is for the Continental eRuban Plus Reflex 27.5 x 2.3 clincher tire. The Giant’s came with a smooth road surface tire that didn’t provide the versatility I was looking for on these bikes as we were heading out for a six week, cross country, national parks tour in a motor home last September and wanted to be able to ride and explore those parks and other places, regardless of terrain. The bikes have very “mountain bike” type of ride and handling, albeit non suspension, so I was depending on tires to help there. I’ve put about a thousand miles on them and have not had so much as one problem, flat or bad handling. I’ve ridden on pavement (full pressure at 55-60psi and anywhere from 10 to 50 miles on a ride) and they fly smoothly and handle sweet, even on wet roads and fast curves (these bikes are Class 3 pedelecs 28mph), and I like to ride in a “sporty” manner, so handling is important. I have also ridden on various single track mountain bike trails (reduced pressure 25-35psi) from the North Cascades, to Glacier, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Theodore Roosevelt, Acadia, Great Smokey Mtns.,and Yosemite National Parks. Some packed dirt, others gravel, some craggy rocky climbs and even one time for about five miles along the shell dunes seashore at Bridgeport, CT. In every situation the eRubans performed flawlessly. The Giant Fastroad bike has been called an SUV of bikes, to which I wholeheartedly agree, and the eRuban tires give it true SUV versatility, regardless of terrain.

We purchased a Giant FastRoad E+ EX Pro for me, and a Giant Liv Thrive E+ EX Pro for my wife last August. Can’t say enough about those ebikes and how they have performed, but this comment is for the Continental eRuban Plus Reflex 27.5 x 2.3 clincher tire. The Giant’s came with a smooth road surface tire that didn’t provide the versatility I was looking for on these bikes as we were heading out for a six week, cross country, national parks tour in a motor home last September and wanted to be able to ride and explore those parks and other places, regardless of terrain. The bikes have very “mountain bike” type of ride and handling, albeit non suspension, so I was depending on tires to help there. I’ve put about a thousand miles on them and have not had so much as one problem, flat or bad handling. I’ve ridden on pavement (full pressure at 55-60psi and anywhere from 10 to 50 miles on a ride) and they fly smoothly and handle sweet, even on wet roads and fast curves (these bikes are Class 3 pedelecs 28mph), and I like to ride in a “sporty” manner, so handling is important. I have also ridden on various single track mountain bike trails (reduced pressure 25-35psi) from the North Cascades, to Glacier, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Theodore Roosevelt, Acadia, Great Smokey Mtns.,and Yosemite National Parks. Some packed dirt, others gravel, some craggy rocky climbs and even one time for about five miles along the shell dunes seashore at Bridgeport, CT. In every situation the eRubans performed flawlessly. The Giant Fastroad bike has been called an SUV of bikes, to which I wholeheartedly agree, and the eRuban tires give it true SUV versatility, regardless of terrain.

Thanks for this review and for sharing your experience.
We will order a few of these for testing and I do believe they can be a great alternative for Johnny Watts or Energizer Plus Tour.

Reporting in again.. I've got a thousand or so miles on mine: No flats.

Blows the Super Moto-X away in all aspects. I don't even feel like it rolls much slower. Really opened up a lot more riding to me.. so much more capable off road.

Thank you ! Your post helped me pull the trigger and I just purchased a Thrive ! I got it 25% off, so am completely stoked ! I’m ordering those tires too. I also just received fantastic winter riding boots, so I am ready to ride (well, soon, when the bike is ready to pick up) some cold Northumberland Ontario hills !

Back