contact protection when battery is removed??

TumaloTed

Thinking there should be some sort of weather protected plate that covers the battery contact points when the battery is removed?? Do any brands offer that? I keep hearing that batteries will last longer if removed when too cold or too hot or when being transported on a bike rack, but then the contact points are subject to weather, rain, dirt, grim. Solutions?

Great question - eg we're supposed to remove the battery when transporting by car, but no way am I going to leave the terminals exposed to the elements or risk a plastic bag being blown off ( for environmental reasons) . Some sort of cap would be really nice - a 3d printer project for someone to build one for yamaha / brose / bosch?

Yes I would like to see this for my battery as well. Great idea and maybe someone can construct one and sell it online.

A follow up question would be if transport ebike outside on a bike rack (behind travel trailer in my case) with the battery in place for months at a time, how much would that shorten the life of a 400wh or 500wh battery?? I'm going to get a cover for the bike, but not convinced that would protect the contact points if the battery was removed, but maybe if also wrapped plastic around downtube as suggested above??

For downtube battery locations, a blend-in type cover when battery is removed would make the bike look like a regular bike instead of an ebike, making them a smaller target for theft. If all of us bug the manufacturers for battery covers, maybe that might come to pass eventually?

A number of very good products that spray on and have a long life. Many designed to keep moisture off and prevent corrosion. From avionics, but there are others. ACF50, Boeshield, and several major lube makers have similar products. Works on a aircraft, works for me,

Back