Considering A Windshield Or Fairing For Winter Riding

Below 10 deg F I wear 6 layers, Uvex safety glasses with side shields, and wrap the helmet vents with saran wrap . I wear a welders helmet liner for the ears. I wear farmer mittens, with oven mitts over them. I wear 2 layers socks, and combat boots. There are no windshield wipers or defroster on a bicycle. Army trucks lacked such frills during 1979 Reforger exercise in W. Germany. !st Infantry Division ordered all trucks to drive around through the snowstorm with the windshield folded up out of the way.
If the glasses fog up, I take them off. My vision is 20/100 without glasses, adequate for seeing cars obstacles pedestrians but not for reading street signs. Dry snow, safety glasses are good. I don't ride over 20 mph in that weather. Never over steel plates or grates and never over ice. The only car I own is driven by the wife: I do all shopping & errands off the bicycle. There is a city bus if I have several hours to waste standing at the stops.

Last edited:
It is my opinion only but I ride a lot during winters. A windshield or fairing make sense only if you have a powerful motor on your e-bike and would only ride on the throttle (I am sure @PCeBiker will be proud to demonstrate his windshield!) Otherwise, the air drag makes the idea rather poor.

I recommend you run a Forum search with the words "Winter" and especially "Minnesotan" (search for titles only). It will give you ideas how people ride e-bikes in the winter, and you wouldn't rather find a mention of a windshield there.

Google Velomobile CA (stands for Canada, not California). Also found under "Rainforest Designs". Steve Schleicher (sp?) used to design and build kayaks and paddles, then transitioned to bikes (and trikes) with full enclosures. He's been doing this for several years, and still has his website up, so he must be having some success. Expensive, obviously, but worth checking out for an all-weather bike. Power options available, it says. (I thought I already made this post, so it may be elsewhere. Sorry if it is a duplication).

It is my opinion only but I ride a lot during winters. A windshield or fairing make sense only if you have a powerful motor on your e-bike and would only ride on the throttle (I am sure @PCeBiker will be proud to demonstrate his windshield!) Otherwise, the air drag makes the idea rather poor.

I recommend you run a Forum search with the words "Winter" and especially "Minnesotan" (search for titles only). It will give you ideas how people ride e-bikes in the winter, and you wouldn't rather find a mention of a windshield there.
actually thats not true. but a small one wont do much. When i had my long wheel base recumbent it had a good fairing and it made a big difference. I only had the plastic fairing but it made a big difference. my coasting speed downhill was crazy. but it was also noisy like a giant speaker. this was one of the fastest bikes like 65mph I think.
Used-Gold-Rush-White-Carbon-Fairing-1600x1024.jpg

actually thats not true. but a small one wont do much.

I agree.
My small one doesn't do much, but I'm sure you'll agree that my e-bike looks way less stupid than without the windshield,..

20230604_110440.jpg
20231002_121109.jpg
20230717_122008.jpg

I'm not into Form Over Function, but in this case, I really think that my ebike looks better with the 5 pound motorcycle windshield installed.

I can always duck down in front of the windshield if All Hell Breaks Loose and it's raining, but I don't like leaning on the bars.
Or even holding them for that matter.😂

Sorry if this brings motorbike wrath into this thread, but riding into a strong headwind, you can be hitting motorbike wind speeds.

I've dabbled with various accessory wind shields on motorbikes - it's a long story involving a previous neck injury. A surprisingly small deflector can have huge improvements in comfort - but you have to be prepared to fine tune angle / position, and get creative if you want laminar air flow ( no buffeting) . Something like the madstad adjustable shield at the upper edge of a regular screen. ( don't waste $ on the brand version, there are plenty of copies) .

On my current motorbike, a simple custom moulded screen with lip does a reasonable job - but it's designed to keep wind off my lower chest whilst still allowing clean air at helmet height ( because I use this bike for technical riding where I want to stay cool) . You'll notice it's mounted with a gap between it and the headlight cowl - getting air to flow both sides of a screens upper edge is really important for reducing buffeting ( I sail a lot , and when racing we put a LOT of effort into keeping the back of the sail flowing clean air )

20230405_131542.jpeg

you wouldn't rather find a mention of a windshield there.
Well that's really not true. THERE ARE4 SUCCESSFUL FAIRINGS. One of the best makers has sadly lost his hardware guy. I have had several windscreens with fair to mis; and results. In the end they are more nuisance than they are worth in the current market. A clever fellow with metal work and mounting knowledge could have a nice fairing. But again, I think better suited to a eM obility vehicle. Any fairing will still dump cold air on your forehead. When the darn thing fogs out and your eyes are above the screen. Sub freezing riding in my world is better with my helmet balaclava and quality fog free goggles. It was 19F on my ride home tonight. Arctic goose down parka 700 fill goose down and...
IMG_0999.jpeg

Heavy mittens with inner glove sturdy canvas trousers and long johns Like boots with silk socks covered by REALLY. thick merino wool socks. Snow means Sorel time. But we're in a record warm winter. I've not missed a day in weeks.

10F and below and the game changes. Pretty risky. Not so mush the cold as the cagers that are definitely not looking out for eBikes.

And feet can be more difficult to stay warm and not have huge boots,

Back