Compressor godsend

ritestuf

bike pic.jpg

Bought this electric compressor for $25 at Home Depot. No more 60 or so pumps with the floor pump again!
The Supercells I put on it go from max 20 psi to 15 in 2 days. Prob down to like 8psi in 4 days.
No way am I going to stand there pumping madly like a 2-man railroad dolly...NOT!
This bad boy airs the tires up from 8 to 20 in about 30 seconds while you stand there. And the gauge glows in the dark!

Same here. I’ve been using an electric compressor for years. Way easier than all that pumping. And also have one that runs on dc current that I can carry in the car.

Bought this electric compressor for $25 at Home Depot. No more 60 or so pumps with the floor pump again!
Sounds like you don't drive :).... Of course compressor is better! I'm using 12V compressor that is normally laying in my trunk, cost me $10 on Amazon, though the gauge is not backlit. Might get acquainted with a small 48V compressor too, that you could carry with you and use if needed.

Last edited:
I've been using the Viair 90P Portable Compressor since 2016, Amazon, $75: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MXL71A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got it mainly for my cars since it is such a pain in the butt just adding a few PSI at a gas station on my vehicles. It connects to the car battery and very small and compact to toss in the hatch for road trips with the bikes. I recently just added the Ryobi P737 One+ Power Inflator, Amazon, $25: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017JIWT9U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had the battery packs for other Ryobi tools. The Ryobi is powerful enough to use on my cars and bikes. This is what I use now because of its small size and it is always ready to go. The Ryobi is small enough to fit inside my pannier on my Topeak rack bag if I wanted. I still keep a Topeak Mountain Morph hand pump in my Rover at all times (same issue of +100 pumps for a few PSI increase).

ryobi.jpgviair.jpg

Oh wow, great ideas folks! Yes, sorry to say I'm still a noob to the whole MTB/eBike thing but I'm learning and the trip so far has been fun!!
Was over at Anywhere Bicycle Repair in SD. Kevin shook his head and said: "dude...get a compressor." lol

A nice compact unit at a good price that's small enough to pack on your bike. I saw it at Home Depot and thought about buying but I already have this unit from DeWalt:

P1070583a.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H39S9JQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has an illuminated digital display and can be set to cut off at a preset pressure. It uses the DeWalt 20V battery system which I'm already using for a number of other tools. It's a bit bulky to carry on a bike but it will fit in my panniers. I usually just carry it in my truck on bike trips for topping off tires.

There is nothing easier than the one made for the Ryobi One+ series of tools. Fits in your hand like a hand drill, gauge on back. I would not try and pump up a car tire with, though. But perfect for bikes. No more plugging in an electric pump or firing up the big compressor to top off a bike another 2-3 psi.

30 seconds to add 12 psi to a bike tire? That does not rate a "bad boy" descriptor!!!!! I could cut that time in half with my hand pump. You needed a better hand pump if that took 60 strokes! Hilarious that anyone would need a power pump to add 2-3psi. No wonder we get the cheater reputation! "Oh no, 2 pumps with my hand pump hurts my hands, are there fatter, softer handles?" LOL

There is nothing easier than the one made for the Ryobi One+ series of tools. Fits in your hand like a hand drill, gauge on back. I would not try and pump up a car tire with, though. But perfect for bikes. No more plugging in an electric pump or firing up the big compressor to top off a bike another 2-3 psi.

Zero issue adding 2-5 PSI in my car tires with the Ryobi One+. I usually add about 10 PSI over in my car spare tires since they will drop about 1-2 per month (around 40-42 PSI on full size spare, 65-70 PSI on donut spare tires. that way, I only have to check my spare PSI a few times a year. Much easier to let air out of a spare compared pumping up the tire up when I only have one airpump for 4 vehicles.

Main reason I went to an electric air pump was when it was difficult to seat my tires when I switched from 30 tpi Kenda tires to 120 tpi Vee8 when I aired up from a flat. The 120 tpi were too soft and floppy for the tire to seat properly with a hand pump without using both hands to help seat. I've since added 5 velcro straps from Softride around a deflated tire that help seat the tire while pumping with a hand or electric pump.

30 seconds to add 12 psi to a bike tire? That does not rate a "bad boy" descriptor!!!!! I could cut that time in half with my hand pump. You needed a better hand pump if that took 60 strokes! Hilarious that anyone would need a power pump to add 2-3psi. No wonder we get the cheater reputation! "Oh no, 2 pumps with my hand pump hurts my hands, are there fatter, softer handles?" LOL

Who makes a hand pump that puts 0.5 lbs per pump?

I carry about an 8 inch long, hand pump on the bike. It's probably 20-30 cycles to bring it up three lbs.

The real beauty of the Ryobi is at the morning air check of the pressure and when I am going from sand and 12 psi and pavement and 25 psi. Just so easy.

Enjoy your hand job.

Who makes a hand pump that puts 0.5 lbs per pump?

I carry about an 8 inch long, hand pump on the bike. It's probably 20-30 cycles to bring it up three lbs.

The real beauty of the Ryobi is at the morning air check of the pressure and when I am going from sand and 12 psi and pavement and 25 psi. Just so easy.

Enjoy your hand job.
Even the cheapest floor standing hand pump will do that.

That's not just a hand pump.
That’s what the original poster showed in the picture. Why wouldn’t I assume that’s what we are talking about? Edit; Sorry you didn't see the humor in my original post.

Last edited:

Yep, this pump works really well, I already have a few other Ryobi tools so I already have the battery packs, this pump will work on a small car tyre like my Daihatsu but anything bigger it takes too long, but bicycles, trailers not a problem.

This is what I have for the longer rides just in case.
Did top up all 4 tires on my Jeep, 10 psi per tire in about 10 minutes, yes I was impressed however it does not take much to impress me....

Attachments

• 516HaxKiCtL._AC_SY400_.jpg
    516HaxKiCtL._AC_SY400_.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 463
Back