Como Crank Sprocket Change.

Love my Como but felt it was geared too low for where and how I ride so I had my LBS change out the crank sprocket. Went from the factory 40T to a 48T and what a difference. My comfortable cruising speed went from 18mph to 23mph with the same effort. I can now max it out at 28mph without feeling like a Hamster in a wheel. There are no hills where I live and my routs are fairly long and straight with little or no traffic so this works for me. I sometimes ride with my roadie son and friends and this is the only way I’m keeping up at my age. Plus, they love to draft when the winds blowing.

Good to hear. I'm going from a 44T to 52 on my Biktrix . Did you have to swap in a longer chain ?

Last edited:
My 2018 Vado came with a 48 tooth chain ring. Really helps on the speed pedalec. It cruises so effortlessly. :)
Glad you didn’t need to get a different derailer.

I went the other way. :)
My EU ( 25kph/16mph) Vado 5.0 came with a 48 tooth so I ordered a 40 tooth. Suits me fine, I had that on a Vado 4.0 last year. Same 11 speed 11-42 cassette.
I like a cadence of 80 -90 though I’m not always pedalling like that and I’m not often above 18mph.

Love my Como but felt it was geared too low for where and how I ride so I had my LBS change out the crank sprocket. Went from the factory 40T to a 48T and what a difference. My comfortable cruising speed went from 18mph to 23mph with the same effort. I can now max it out at 28mph without feeling like a Hamster in a wheel. There are no hills where I live and my routs are fairly long and straight with little or no traffic so this works for me. I sometimes ride with my roadie son and friends and this is the only way I’m keeping up at my age. Plus, they love to draft when the winds blowing.

Yes I agree, I changed my Como 3.0 to a 48 tooth and much happier with the performance!

Yes I agree, I changed my Como 3.0 to a 48 tooth and much happier with the performance!

May do the same on a Vado 3.0, but am concerned the effect it would have on the warranty. Have another 1.4 years and would prefer to keep it in effect.

Did you see a warranty issue?

May do the same on a Vado 3.0, but am concerned the effect it would have on the warranty. Have another 1.4 years and would prefer to keep it in effect.

Did you see a warranty issue?

No I spoke to Specialized about the upgrade and they told me would not be any problem with the warranty.

My new Como 3.0 (2020) came with a 48 tooth. I like it better than the 40 tooth that was on my 2019 Como 2.0.

Just switch to a 52T crank sprocket, the biggest that will fit, and love it. Easy cadence at 20mph without using the smallest rear gear. Was having problems with the chain wearing the high gear sprocket because I was always riding in high gear. I can now get the same ratio in two gears up. Major difference and worth it. Sprocket with shipping was $39 and it literally takes 15 minutes to swap out.

Just switch to a 52T crank sprocket, the biggest that will fit, and love it. ... Sprocket with shipping was $39 and it literally takes 15 minutes to swap out.

Did you find a sprocket chain guard that fits the 52T?

I would prefer not having to ride in shorts during winter time ;-)

Did you find a sprocket chain guard that fits the 52T?

I would prefer not having to ride in shorts during winter time ;-)
No, I was not able to find a chain guard but truthfully I didn’t look too hard. I live in Florida and always have shorts on. Typically don’t ride if the temps drop into the 60’s. But, if you know where I can find that big of a chain guard let me know. I’d put it on.

No, I was not able to find a chain guard ... But, if you know where I can find that big of a chain guard let me know. I’d put it on.

I've got a Specialized chain guard for the Specialized 48T which is 21,4cm in diameter so that could fit on the 52T as well? Please check.

Maybe a stupid question, but does changing the size and teeth on the chainring have any effect on the odometer or speedometer accuracy? I thin it doesn’t?

I am considering going down from 48 to 42 teeth on my Toughroad for this nebulous idea I’m having about the Virginia mountains in the spring.

It should not, as the sensor counts revolutions off the rear wheel. However, power measurement and assist must change because of it.

Back