Como brake line leaking at lever

bigb

Region
USA
I noticed my rear brake lever was getting lower and when I pulled the plastic cone back there was brake fluid all over. I cleaned it all up and dried it then squeezed the lever, the leak is coming from where the black plastic line enters the threaded fitting. Is this just a matter of unscrewing and cutting a fresh end on the plastic line? Is there a ferrule on the end or how exactly does it seal?

I noticed my rear brake lever was getting lower and when I pulled the plastic cone back there was brake fluid all over. I cleaned it all up and dried it then squeezed the lever, the leak is coming from where the black plastic line enters the threaded fitting. Is this just a matter of unscrewing and cutting a fresh end on the plastic line? Is there a ferrule on the end or how exactly does it seal?
unscrew the plastic nut and see. it may just need tightening.

There's a ferrule (olive) on the end of the brake line and a barb that's inserted into the end of the brake line
You could try tightening the compression nut.
If it still leaks.. you'll need to replace the barb and ferrule.
And you'll probably need to top off the brake fluid as well.

There's a ferrule (olive) on the end of the brake line and a barb that's inserted into the end of the brake line
You could try tightening the compression nut.
If it still leaks.. you'll need to replace the barb and ferrule.
And you'll probably need to top off the brake fluid as well.
Oh yeah the compression nut was very loose, ready to come out. I snugged it up and ordered a Shimano brake bleeding kit with mineral oil to arrive tomorrow. Thanks.

Oh yeah the compression nut was very loose, ready to come out. I snugged it up and ordered a Shimano brake bleeding kit with mineral oil to arrive tomorrow. Thanks.
yes easy fix. I had my front bag biding my rear hose and then sop discovered it when replacing the shifter housing. 80.00 for new housing and running and bleeding the brake.

Just do a lever bleed... No need to do a full bleed as done during installation or hose replacement.

She's a tool... But you'll get the jist.

If you search YouTube I know there are a few more videos on lever bleeds.

Back