Commuter Log

I just scrubbed this thread to see if there is any mention of the power drops some owners have experienced and I can't help but note a possible correlation, cold weather! So I just have to move north, way north if I want to join the Turbo club. Glad you survived BTW. -S

so far so good. I have never experienced the issues that are currently reported. It must suck. The posts of biking into sustained 20+mph winds and the power bonking out ...i could understand but the rest of the reports are disappointing.

I only had two issues with my bike and those were earlier on.

once I the bike switched by itself from turbo to eco. I thought at the time it was overloaded but now I think it was some kind of operator error like battery seating or items in a frame bag hittig the power button.

second issue was more serious and required a trip to the dealer. My bike wouldn't stop it went as if on throttle in turbo. Turns out the torque sensor module in the motor went bad. The dealer gave me a new wheel.

I would also consider the Bosh speed pedelecs if i were you. This is where i would look if i were shopping today. I would still trust STurbo but i think the motor design had its run and there are now slightly better designs.

as much as I feel competent changing my flat tires now I would still prefer the rear wheel did not have the motor in it if I could still get a quality and service backed bike. My neck of the woods still lacks any ebike dealers...not sure which way I would go. One dealer in Bath sells and services the ELF !:) ... Big surprise for me as the mechanic who does the work is a competent and experienced diehard whom I would not guess an ebike enthusiast. I have met him again after a year hiatus and learned we both now commute by ebike.

This seems an interesting S-pedelec alternative: https://www.haibike.com/de/de
Although I have read that the Bosch middle motors make quite some noise, which I would have difficulty accepting especially after the completely silent Turbo motor. Also, the detached looking battery is not the best looking of desings. I have no experience of shock absorbers but I think I would prefer without. Perhaps something like this: https://www.haibike.com/de/de

Last edited:
true. I too am put off by the battery but the installed base and relative availability of replacement is enticing.

at any rate I am happy with mine. Does the job. Hope to get at least 2years out of it.

This morning was a first day I understood why i switched to studded tires. One particular street was all caked ice for at least 1/3 of a mile. Also the bike lanes are shrinking from the accumulation of shoveled snow so some sections I am right on the road with the cars. Luckily it isn't critical just yet. On the other hand commuting in cold and snowy weather is really not as bad as I thought it might be. It's awesome. I feel happy to be on a bike every day I go (about 4 times per work week)

Have you noticed a big change in power consumption when riding with studded tires?

I am still to install my replacement wheel and seat. They arrived already about a week ago, but I had to postpone picking them up because of travels.

BTW, when installing the 42 mm wide studded tire on the rim I had some difficulty to keep the tube inside when inflating it. It started to bubble up outside the wheel no matter how carefully I tucked it in. Possibly the rim is a bit too wide for this tire size. But then, the next available sizes 47 or 50 mm will not fit inside the fender.

Also the bike lanes are shrinking from the accumulation of shoveled snow so some sections I am right on the road with the cars.

The plowing of snow from the roads to the bike lanes is a common topic of complaints the city is getting. They may have actually plowed the bike lane just fine earlier but then do the car side and the snow will fly in a big arc to the bikers' side.

Marko, to M surprise I have to say that I have not noticed any significant range degradation when on studded tires. They do seem to be a bit narrower and that might slightly offset the effect of the studs. Also the haakapelitas have minimal amount of studs.

I did notice a range degradation due to the cold temperatures. I probably don't have to but my routine for the past 2months is 50%on eco (50assist) and 50% in turbo.

Marko on of the tricks I do that i learned from childhood is to partially inflate the tire and then bounce the wheel while rotating it a few times every few inches. This is supposed to help the inner tube distribution.

This tip could be nonsense as I have no credible experience to substantiate it ... But I do it.

Ok, thanks for the tip. Which tires do you have, Nokian Hakkapeliitta W240 studs - 700 x 40?

last day of 2014. 3 degrees at 6am when I started biking. My new favorite piece of gear is Airhole Wool face mask. To have unrestricted air intake while having protection all the way up to where the goggles start is awesome.

If that was Fahrenheit, pretty chilly already. Have you noticed any big drops in charge after the bike is in that temp for a longer while.

funny you ask. I think I noticed drop in charge on my return trip. I'm still trying to figure out whether it was something else or the battery. I basically arrived home at 28% after a combination of turbo and eco. Normally in the past winter temperature conditions I would arrive home with about 50% of the battery left. Trying to be objective and consider also possibility of the big jacket I wore to provide more air resistance or maybe components need to be lubed. I will do some chain lube maintenance today and tomorrow will be a good observation test.

I have read that Tesla is by about 20% drop in range in winter conditions. Wouldnt be surprised if that were true also for Turbo, especially when it gets in to subzero temps (C). In normal temperature headwind usually accounts for a few more percents when compared to no wind, so I doubt that a jacket could explain such a big drop. But lubing a dry chain is certainly a good idea, possibly also checking tire pressure. Low tire pressure is probably one of the biggest negative contributors to energy consumption after air resistance.

I just jumped into the end of this thread. I have done minimal riding in sub freezing temps, but enough to see the power changes.

Yes, Lithium doesn't like cold, or hot for that matter. Try to charge inside so the cells start out at 70F. You may want to try a neoprene Velcro wrap to add thermal shield and maybe save some self generated heat.

Remember, charging Li below 40F will decrease battery life.

good rides.
Bike On

Back