Commuter ebike for tall rider (6'7" 250lbs)

ZeroG

New to the forum and new to ebikes in general. I'm hoping to leverage the experience and expertise of the community to guide my research before I head into my local major metro (Seattle, WA USA) for a test riding trip. I realize that there's likely only a few options that are compatible with my size and I want to focus my travel and test riding time on those options.

What I'm looking for:
  • Something that fits and will work for year around commuting. I'm 6'7" and currently weighing in at 250lbs (200cm, 115kg). When I previously commuted in sub-freezing temperatures (albeit at a heftier 330lbs/150kg) I had issues snapping rear spokes until I had a custom rear wheel built. Not sure if this pushes me towards a mid-drive so I can customize the rear wheel to compensate for my weight or if there are rear drive systems with a strong enough stock rear wheel.
  • Good for my commute and for weekend excursions. The motivation for the ebike is the ability to show-up at work and not be drenched in sweat.
    • My commute is 6mi(10km) one-way mostly flat except for a 350ft(100m) elevation gain over the last 1mi(1.6km). 6% average grade, peak grade of 20%. I'd like to do this 5-days a week, 52 weeks/year. The ride home is downhill and then mostly flat and I have the option to recharge at work.
    • Weekend excursions would be sub-50mi day trips from my house. I view these rides as exercise/fun so the assist would be limited to compensating for the extra bike weight.
  • Ideally has pannier rack and fenders preinstalled. Integrated lights are a bonus.
  • Straight handlebars, upright riding position.
My current ride is a 24" trek hybrid frame which has served me well. I've ridden 22.5" frames before and depending on the frame reach those work OK.

The one ebike that I've found that has an XL frame option is the Ohm XU700 but there's no weight capacity provided on their website. Ideally I'd like a slightly larger frame with no concerns on carrying capacity. Any suggestions on what I should look at?

Thanks in advance!

OHM XU 700 is a good choice.
Also, look at Kalkhoff Integrale line. They are good upto 6ft 8"

You're right at the limit of many ebikes. So, as you alluded, mid-drives would help.

Another bike you should seriously consider is Haibike Sduro Trekking SL or RC. Both of them have 60cm frame sizes and come at a lower price point than OHM and Kalkhoff.
With a Yamaha drive (RC trim has dual chainring), you would have no problem climbing any hill.

Thanks for the quick response Ravi! I'm going to document all the options for anyone viewing this thread in the future. The Haibike SDURO line definitely looks like the best value of the options listed below and is where I'm going to focus my effort. First step is to understand the difference between RX, RC & SL models and determine if they're worth the incremental premium.

Ohm
XU 700 (XL = 22.5" frame) [MSRP $3999]

Kalkhoff
INTEGRALE S11 (XL = 23.6" frame) [MSRP $5899]
INTEGRALE 8 (XL = 23.6" frame) [MSRP $4899]
INCLUDE 8 PREMIUM (XL = 23.6" frame) [MSRP $4599]
SAHEL IMPULSE 8 (XL =23.6" frame) [MSRP $2999]

Haibike
XDURO Trekking S Pro (23.6" frame, permissible weight 285lbs) [MSRP €4299]
XDURO Trekking S RX (23.6" frame, permissible weight 285lbs) [MSRP €3699]
XDURO Trekking RX (23.6" frame, permissible weight 285lbs) [MSRP €3699]
XDURO Trekking RC (23.6" frame, permissible weight 285lbs) [MSRP €2899]

SDURO Trekking S RX (23.6" frame, permissible weight 285lbs) [MSRP €2999]
SDURO Trekking RC (23.6" frame, permissible weight 285lbs) [MSRP €2699]
SDURO Trekking SL (23.6" frame, permissible weight 285lbs) [MSRP €2299]

Have fun on your trip!

Suggest you take your old bike with you as a point of comparison for fit and comfort, the two most important aspects of buying a bike.

While youre at these shops, ask them about installing an ebike kit on your old bike.

@ZeroG - the difference between the models is strictly componentry. My wife and I both have Sduro SL models (HardSeven and HardLife - essentially the same bike in men's and women's). I would have preferred stepping up to the RC since it has the double front chain ring, a better front fork (rockshox vs suntour...although the suntour is decent and an air shock), with other differences in componentry fairly minimal. With that said I actually don't mind the simplicity of the single ring, and it can be upgraded later if you want to yourself (the tube routing for cables and mounting points for the front derailleur are all present on the SL version). I find the 1x10 of the SL is gear to top just over 20mph when pedaling (for me at least, I'm bigger than you and top sustainable cadence for me is around 75).

I don't see the RX versions on the Haibike USA website (they don't have all models here in the US), so those may or may not be available. I think the S designation may just be the Women's geometry, as I see 2 versions of the Trekking SL and RC on the USA site but geometry is the only apparent difference.

The Sduro is a fun mid drive, I hope you can find one to test out! I also wouldn't be concerned with range - I'm bigger than you, last weekend rode 18 miles in a mix of eco and standard modes and had 58% battery left. I also live next to the Minnesota river valley - my ride back up is almost identical to your last mile - about 1 mile ride, 350ft rise - this zaps about 7-8% of the battery for me, and would be less for you at your weight.

Every consider getting a BBSHD kit to convert your current bike or a newer bike that fit your size?

I know I'm late coming to the party....I haven't really been on this site for a few weeks. Hope this info isn't too late to help.

I'm 6'3", 235 and fairly long legged. I purchased a large (not XL) framed S11 in March. An XL frame would have been too tall for me. Kalkhoffs are German bikes and built to taller proportions. The S11 is very solid and well built....I suspect that anyone over 6'5" would have a hard time finding a better fitting bike.

I have no complaints about the S11....if I had it to do over....I'd make the same choice.

Back