Commute bike 12 miles Marin to SF, hilly

Maybe you were hitting the low voltage cutoff, or was the battery really dead? If you hit the LVC you should be able to get more power from the battery, but you'll have to baby it to keep the voltage up. A wattmeter would show you where the power goes. Or just charge at work. The high output battery might be a better match. My experience with the 13.5 AH shark is that it won't put out a lot of amps past about 65% discharged. I have a 48v.

I think the bike looks great. Sort out the battery fastening, but no big deal. People seem to figure out the shifting with experience.

Don't know if you posted at the Luna Lounge. Your experiences would be very helpful to others, the little details.

Ah San Francisco. I used to live there up until 2002. There's something downright poetic about riding a Marin bike in...Marin! I had a Marin hybrid back in <cough> 1990. Too heavy for me at the time. Never rode across the GGB but that would be a treat for sure with an eBike.

@PowerMe - you nailed it. Today's commute over the GGB was nothing short of awesome. Classic SF weather, blue sky with a thin stream of fog across the bridge. Total commute time was 40 minutes, on a normal bike it's an hour.

Updates: I put the Likiliki chain ring up front, replacing the stock heavy 46 tooth with a light 42 tooth. There's no question that I've lost some top end, as on the flats I can get up to around 27mph before the cadence is too fast for me to pedal (probably 105-110rpm). Last week I hit 30 on the same stretch. On the flip side, the gearing seems more "right" for the bike, and I feel more power across all levels, especially on the climbs. And I was faster today overall by a few minutes. Not exactly sure how to explain it. I suspect I was slightly slower on the flats but faster on the climbs. But I'll take it! Honestly, it feels safer to top out around 27 on the busy streets of Sausalito. Going 30+ and I'm passing cars on the right, which feels unsafe (they're not expecting it).

@George S. - I do suspect my battery wasn't at a full charge. Today's ride left it with a little more juice on the way in. I brought my charger and will charge at work just in case. Thanks for the tip about 65% discharge - it was below that and definitely dead. I eeked out a tiny bit of support up two hills in PAS1, and that killed it completely.

@Logan Gogarty - thanks, I do feel like I've learned a ton and I know my bike far better than I would have with a purpose built model. As far as shifting, I have some regrets about not getting the lectric cycle with the shift sensor. The loud thunk thunk means I'll probably be replacing the rear cassette every year. That's about a $100 cost, and true it doesn't make up the difference in price, but it would be more for piece of mind and smooth quiet shifting. I don't want to go the cutoff route because I've heard the cutoff time is pretty long, and I'm not into long pauses with shifting. I ordered the hydraulic ebrakes, I'll play around with a light tap on those before shifting.

Thanks @George S. - that site was helpful, primarily because I learned that by turning the crank back 1/8 turn I could stop the motor to shift. Easy!

I had an AWESOME dirt commute to work last week: https://www.strava.com/activities/506281797

IMG_6856.JPG

Getting a little frustrated with Luna cycle support. Love the products. But I've emailed and sent messages with new orders about lost keys to my shark pack with no reply. And I ordered these hydraulic brakes, which someone recommended above, http://lunacycle.com/parts/bicycle-parts/brakes/shimano-m355-hydraulic-brakes/. They clearly show a cable to the sensor in the photo, but mine arrived as just plain brakes. No cable. Hoping they'll make things right.

Back