Cobi users

Good points, both, Hairy and Ed. Samsung has an OLED display which is quite prone to getting burned in. I wonder if the auto-dimming would make it dim enough to prevent burn in on an OLED display. It might almost be worth getting an older 'junker phone' to use with COBI if this is an issue.
Thanks rannyv. I had the COBI removed and put on the 2016 intuvia screen . I had dozens and dozens of problems with the COBI. The tech with IZIP said to me that removing COBI was the best thing I could of done. He has had multiple units with problems and returns. Since going to intuvia screen the bike has had 0 issues unlike what I experienced with the COBI...

Good points, both, Hairy and Ed. Samsung has an OLED display which is quite prone to getting burned in. I wonder if the auto-dimming would make it dim enough to prevent burn in on an OLED display. It might almost be worth getting an older 'junker phone' to use with COBI if this is an issue.
My thoughts exactly.. My S6 is two years old and suffering a weak battery and as its not worth much as a trade in so i was going to keep it just for Cobi.
The auto dimming is good at night offroad when the bright screen is distracting, my rides are generally 1.5 to 2 hours and I havnt had any burn issues.

Hi, I’m considering the Cobi system, but curious as to what happens if you switch away from the Cobi app, i.e. switch to google maps or spotify or whatever. Does the bike assist shutdown? Or does it just work fully in the background. I’m aware cobi has navigation but sometimes I prefer a specific app.

Hi, I’m considering the Cobi system, but curious as to what happens if you switch away from the Cobi app, i.e. switch to google maps or spotify or whatever. Does the bike assist shutdown? Or does it just work fully in the background. I’m aware cobi has navigation but sometimes I prefer a specific app.

Hi BBF,

Great question. I've been using my COBI now for more than half a year. It came built in with my IZIP ProTour. I really love it. I will agree with Court though - the initial setup wasn't a great experience (based from his IZip ProTour review). Took me a few trial and error, but eventually got it going. So do keep this in mind.

To answer your question, the COBI will work in the background. I would suggest turning off the COBI navigation, in replacement to using Google. It will still track the amount of miles you've covered and provide you charging time on your ebike, as long as you do not close the App. I am using a Samsung Galaxy S9+ and it has worked great. I suggest keeping your phone plug-in the charging cradle. To this day, I have not notice a major draining from my ebike battery.

I've also used my COBI without my smartphone which is why I love it so much. Granted, I don't see the charging time left on the app, but I can check that from my bike battery. I can also change my speed from the handlebar switch, as well as use the built in electronic bell. I think, the best feature of COBI is the integrated lights with turn signal, and especially the built in alarm. I used the alarm all the time especially when I park my bike for more than an hour. I hope this helps (I've also attached photos here). Good luck to you.

Cheers!

Attachments

• 20180505_154622a.jpg
    20180505_154622a.jpg
    397 KB · Views: 726
  • 20180506_151950.jpg
    20180506_151950.jpg
    979.3 KB · Views: 662
  • 20180506_152049a.jpg
    20180506_152049a.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 572
Hi BBF,

Great question. I've been using my COBI now for more than half a year. It came built in with my IZIP ProTour. I really love it. I will agree with Court though - the initial setup wasn't a great experience (based from his IZip ProTour review). Took me a few trial and error, but eventually got it going. So do keep this in mind.

To answer your question, the COBI will work in the background. I would suggest turning off the COBI navigation, in replacement to using Google. It will still track the amount of miles you've covered and provide you charging time on your ebike, as long as you do not close the App. I am using a Samsung Galaxy S9+ and it has worked great. I suggest keeping your phone plug-in the charging cradle. To this day, I have not notice a major draining from my ebike battery.

I've also used my COBI without my smartphone which is why I love it so much. Granted, I don't see the charging time left on the app, but I can check that from my bike battery. I can also change my speed from the handlebar switch, as well as use the built in electronic bell. I think, the best feature of COBI is the integrated lights with turn signal, and especially the built in alarm. I used the alarm all the time especially when I park my bike for more than an hour. I hope this helps (I've also attached photos here). Good luck to you.

Cheers!

Great to hear your COBI system is up and running properly. A lot of folks got off to a rocky start with this system, not to mention a lack of support from the company. Looks like a great system next to another favorite (Bosch Nyon interface).

Since a couple of days I have the Cobi.bike plus. It connects, but then it stops when trying to activate the Bosch Intuvia controller (Detecttion_failed.....). Reconnected, removed and reinstalled the app, reset my Iphone. And yes, asked Cobi.bike for help. Waiting for a first response for 3 days now. Anybody that can help me?

Since a couple of days I have the Cobi.bike plus. It connects, but then it stops when trying to activate the Bosch Intuvia controller (Detecttion_failed.....). Reconnected, removed and reinstalled the app, reset my Iphone. And yes, asked Cobi.bike for help. Waiting for a first response for 3 days now. Anybody that can help me?

I don't follow what you're trying to do. If you're using the Cobi, what are you using the Intuvia for ?

Indeed. I meant the handelbar controller.
i havnt used mine for over 6 months now, but I did have connection problems on a few occasions which turned out to be dirt/water/dust getting inbetween the cobi unit and the phone holder. Pulling it appart and cleaning it made it work again. My main gripe with Cobi was reconnecting after a short stop, I could never just get on the bike and ride away. I stopped using mine due to a new purchase with Kiox which isnt compatible with Cobi, but I was struggling to decide if the connection issues outweighed the benefits it provided.

Indeed. I meant the handelbar controller.

I’m using Cobi with an iPhone X. I’ve had one problem where the app wouldn’t connect with the hub that replaces the intuvia display. The hub was unresponsive and i couldn’t get any response from it to button presses on the hub itself or app connection attempts.

Support indicated that the internal battery in the hub was discharged. The resolution is relatively simple - wake the bike up by pressing the main battery’s status button and then the handlebar controller up button. I believe you can ride like this without the app connected (i need to double check). In this ‘awake’ state the hub will start charging and you’ll be able to connect from the app after some minutes have passed.

I wasn’t aware you could ride without the app connected at all, but i believe you can. I suspect the discharged state occurred after leaving the hub alarm on in the garage for a week.

The problem with that is that it takes away the spontaneous switch on and ride idea. I used to visit the local post office daily and would enable the alarm for obvious reasons.. but when getting back to the bike it was more the case than not that I would have to mess about with it to switch off the alarm and get rolling. I used mine for about 1 year and now consider it an expensive lump of plastic that I wouldn't buy again.

The problem with that is that it takes away the spontaneous switch on and ride idea. I used to visit the local post office daily and would enable the alarm for obvious reasons.. but when getting back to the bike it was more the case than not that I would have to mess about with it to switch off the alarm and get rolling. I used mine for about 1 year and now consider it an expensive lump of plastic that I wouldn't buy again.

Hmmmm but is this comparing the hassle of using an alarm (at all) vs no alarm. Is it comparable to locking a car with a fob and then hunting for keys in your pockets when you come back (vs simply not locking it) ? Perhaps i’m looking at it from a different perspective with a large cargo ebike which is a pita to lock to objects because of its shape, so using the ‘cafe lock’ + alarm is quite useful.

There is a connection delay but i’ve found that i can connect the phone from distance away while approaching, or even connect from the house to the bike in the garage. If i remember i can disarm and have the app ready before i get to the bike.

One other observation about Cobi is that the phone charging is very low power, just enough to maintain charge or increase it very slightly. Perhaps it’s by design, but i would’ve preferred faster charging, the phone power use must be a drop in the ocean compared to the bike’s own consumption.

Edit: agree that it does detract from the switch and ride aspect. The intuvia display is very convenient- just clips in and away you go. I’m using the universal spring loaded cobi mount which is a bit of a faff to use. My main reason for the Cobi was naviagation, and the lack of handlebar space for phone + Intuvia

This is my experience with COBI.BIKE that I bought in the spring of 2019. I use it on a Trek E-Mtb equipped with Intuvia and Bosch Performance Line CX motor. I ordered COBI unit with the iPhone 8 adapter option.

1. The COBI.BIKE doesn't charge the iPhone 8 (Edit: due to the lightning port inside the case being 1-2mm too short).
1.a. There's electricity going trough the contacts (measured with voltmeter) but not enough to charge the iPhone. (Edit: because of the short lightning connector inside the case)
1.b. Expect iPhone to discharge during long rides if the screen is turned on.
1.c. Interestingly the USB port on the Intuvia display supplies sufficient electricity to charge the iPhone (same bike, same iphone).
1.d. I complained about the above to COBI tech support (Benelux area) and they've sent me 3 COBI.BIKE units already, none of which charges the iPhone.
1.e. IMO this issue could be fixed with a firmware update but engineers at COBI/BOSCH can't be bothered. (Edit: The problem is the connector)
Edit: 1.f The reason I know why the problem is the lighting connector inside the case is because I tore one case apart, exposed the connector and charged the iPhone successfully from the exposed connector. I'm in contact with COBI to receive another case model - if possible.

2. The COBI.BIKE disconnects sporadically when riding over uneven terrain. So far I've tested 2 units and they both have this problem.
2.a. When disconnections happen the electric assistance stops.
2.b. To fix it you must remove the unit from the support and press on the pins to have them spring out further. This is a pain in the neck!
2.c. I always take the Intuvia display in my backpack, just in case.

3. Having changed COBI units twice I learned that you can't take control of a new unit until you remove the previous unit from the COBI.BIKE app.
3.a. This means that people hoping to install COBI units on several bikes and seamlessly switch from one to another won't be able to do it.
3.b. Has anyone tried to use one COBI unit to take control of several e-bikes? Is it possible?
3.c. I'm curious how easy it is to have several iPhones take control of the same bike (this function is available via the app). Has anyone tried sharing their e-bike with Wife/Children each using their own iPhone?

4. For those interested in using the COBI/SmartphoneHub combined with a Rohloff E-14 electric shifter geared hub - it doesn't work.
4.a. IMO this would be a "marriage made in heaven", but Bosch doesn't support it.
4.b. Bosch only supports the Rohloff electronic gear shifting using the Intuvia or Kiox head units.

If the COBI/Bosch engineers fix the above mentioned problems I believe it's a wonder tool, full of great functions and very useful.

Last edited:
2. The COBI.BIKE disconnects sporadically when riding over uneven terrain. So far I've tested 2 units and they both have this problem.

I'm using Cobi with a regular bike, not an e-bike. However, I have a similar issue, the battery drops-out when I ride under cobblestone streets, for instance. That is a huge design flaw.

I'm using it since today, that situation happen three times in a 20km ride. I need to remove the smartphone and "press" the battery again because it was "removed" due to the uneven street. Of course, the app desync from Cobi, util I "fix" the battery.

I'm thinking about return that product.

I'm using Cobi with a regular bike, not an e-bike. However, I have a similar issue, the battery drops-out when I ride under cobblestone streets, for instance. That is a huge design flaw.

I'm using it since today, that situation happen three times in a 20km ride. I need to remove the smartphone and "press" the battery again because it was "removed" due to the uneven street. Of course, the app desync from Cobi, util I "fix" the battery.

I'm thinking about return that product.

Before returning it try to press all the pins at the bottom of the COBI unit to make them all stick out. This helped with mine.

Before returning it try to press all the pins at the bottom of the COBI unit to make them all stick out. This helped with mine.

I didn't find any pins, have some pins on the battery itself. The situation is worse now.

The battery has a small piece of plastic, which holds the battery in place. So, I don't even need to use that to remove it. I'm testing now, and I could remove the battery only holding the back of the battery, without applying any force. I don't see any fix for that.

I could fix the battery problem, but now I have another one. Since then, Cobi.Bike never replies to me, they say "30 Day Money Back Policy" but doesn't have any support for consumers, more than ten days without any replies. I NEVER EVER will recommend that product!

The problem now is: the USB is broken. When I remove the USB cable, the plug (from the Cobi) was removed. I mean, the USB port on the Cobi was removed together with the cable.

So:

1. Unexistent support, unresponsive.
2. The battery can be easily removed (even when not intended)
3. The battery can be stolen because there's no key to secure it.
4. Simple removing the cable can break the USB.
5. There's no useful app to use.

Attachments

• IMG_20190924_0211541.jpg
    IMG_20190924_0211541.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 662
  • IMG_20190923_2326384 1.jpg
    IMG_20190923_2326384 1.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 667
Back