Cobi users

Thanks Kelly, FYI, your videos really helped me grow my understanding of what I wanted. Particularly with things I couldn’t see locally. Including your aforementioned Cobi review.

That said do you know if it is officially Bosch supported now that they’ve been acquired? I still saw some disclaimers on the website about use.

I'm glad to hear that the videos have been helpful.

Yes, we recently received an e-mail from Bosch stating that they are now officially supporting the use of COBI, so hopefully they will remove the disclaimers soon.

@wannabxtrm I was just at the NA Bosch meeting this week and indeed the COBI system is officially supported in Europe and the final OK for North America should be announced shortly. They are still looking into any potential issues with the available options on the APP but there is a good chance the thumbs up will be officially announced very shortly.

Bosch has sent out an email to all dealers recently announcing the acquisition and availability as mentioned by Kelly above but has not given the final approval of all the features just yet.

Here is the official statement from Bosch, in case it helps:

Warranty on Bosch eBike components
Bosch eBike Systems has investigated the compatibility of the COBI.bike products with the Bosch drive system. This result of this investigation was positive and has shown that the components interact functionally. Therefore, the warranty and guarantee arrangements for the Bosch eBike components retain their validity when used in conjunction with COBI.bike products.

Indeed Bosch has confirmed full warranty coverage of their systems this week but not all features may be available in NA moving forward until full testing has been done for the North American market. All features are currently active though.

With the COBI units we have in stock and the version of the app I downloaded from the Google Play Store (free app), all currently advertised features appear to be available and working correctly. I especially like the mapping feature as the "quietest" route option seems to have all of our local trails, which is awesome! (Not trying to be disagreeable - just offering my experience for anyone who is considering using a COBI and wondering if they will get all of the features.)

As mentioned in my post above all features are currently active for all NA units and Apps but final feature testing for NA has not been completed just yet.

I haven't used my Cobi unit since last year, but I did ride about 1250 miles with it. During the 5 months that I used it, the app crashed about 3 times which made me swap over to my intuvia display. I always kept the intuvia display with me at all times as a backup. The one bummer with my experience is the plastic they use on the mount is a very basic ABS plastic that is prone to stress fractures. The unit that I had ended up breaking the mounting rails off itself. If they haven't addressed the issue already, they should use some type of fiber reinforced plastic like the stock Bosch Intuvia mount to prevent this problem. One last thought was that the Cobi unit might interfere with lights that are mounted at the center of your handlebars. It will not work with my current Supernova m99 mounted to the bottom of the Bosch Intuvia bracket.

Received the below in email from Cobi ....

COBI.bike GmbH is a wholly owned subsidiary of Robert Bosch GmbH. Therefore we are able to guarantee that current, as well as future Bosch eBike components, can be combined with COBI.bike.

"Bosch eBike Systems has investigated the compatibility of the COBI.bike products with the Bosch drive system. The result of this investigation was positive and has shown that the components interact functionally. Therefore, the warranty and guarantee arrangements for the Bosch eBike components retain their validity when used in conjunction with COBI.bike products." – Robert Bosch GmbH

My 2 cents-There still seems to be a gray area as to which Android or Iphone works best with the system. In other posts, users have complained about system compatibility issues. ie: Bluetooth connectivity dropout, etc. Older versions of bluetooth as well as older smartphones do not seem to work as efficiently with the COBI app. Perhaps Bosch/COBI could be more specific as to list which phones and versions of bluetooth are most compatible with the system? I think they need to clarify this somewhere in the manual or on their website.
When it works, it appears to be very intuitive with a lot of great features.

I visited the COBI website about 2 weeks ago and noticed that there was no longer a US web shop. After a few failed attempts trying to contact COBI over the phone and through email, I finally recieved the follwoing response:

"I am very sorry to have to inform you that we do not sell COBI.bike in the USA and Canada anymore."

We are hoping to find out more later in the year at Eurobike, where Bosch may be planning to introduce a new product to the market.

Just curious if anyone had any long term feedback on using the Cobi system. I’ve only found a limited number of posts and reviews on it. .
Hello a lil info on COBI. I just took my 2017 IZIP Protour with COBI to the LBS to have it removed. Super disappointed . So many issues ive experienced . My latest example is on a 26 mile ride . 13 miles in the Toggle switch that changes motor speed , music, GPS etc... Now only rings the bell ,leaving me 13 miles to ride minus a motor. This is 1 of at least 2 dozen issues since I purchased the bike in Nov. 2017. COBI is a NOBI. Putting the 2016 Protour screen set up on it

I have had my Cobi for nearly one year and after a few early niggles, one replacement under warranty and one inexplicable total failure it has worked reasonably well.
It does have some connection issues and I am of the opinion that a lot is down to my phone (Samsung S6) where a phone reboot instantly fixes any issues, with Iphones being the best to use.
Even with the small niggles I find it it much better than the Intuvia and like the instant upload to Strava without needing a second bike computer on board.

Does the Cobi system prevent the phone from going to sleep or will the user still need to periodically login to the phone when using in "Cobi mode"? Does the phone maintain charge from the bike battery? I'd expect periodic logins wouldn't be required, but wanted to confirm.

Does the Cobi system prevent the phone from going to sleep or will the user still need to periodically login to the phone when using in "Cobi mode"? Does the phone maintain charge from the bike battery? I'd expect periodic logins wouldn't be required, but wanted to confirm.

On iPhone Cobi prevents the phone from going to sleep when it is open, I don't know about Android phones.

Cobi maintains and slowly charges your phone from the usb cable using the bike battery.

Cheers

Just a lil more to think about with COBI. The system has burned my screen by staying on. I have a S8+ I no longer have COBI

Not only does it keep your phone charged but it can be set to dim the screen automatically and be brought back to full brightness with one touch of any of the thumb controller buttons or a turn if using the nav.

Good points, both, Hairy and Ed. Samsung has an OLED display which is quite prone to getting burned in. I wonder if the auto-dimming would make it dim enough to prevent burn in on an OLED display. It might almost be worth getting an older 'junker phone' to use with COBI if this is an issue.

Back