Close encounters of the e-skateboard kind

ebikemom

So, last week, on my commute, I get to a traffic light. I'm on the sidewalk, just having come over a drawbridge, and next to me rolls up a guy on a skateboard. Looks like an ordinary skateboard. I asked him, "Is that electric?" His answer? "Yep." This was not the answer I was expecting. Then, the light changed. Off we went and he rolled right up the hill on the pedestrian overpass. Amazing!

So, last week, on my commute, I get to a traffic light. I'm on the sidewalk, just having come over a drawbridge, and next to me rolls up a guy on a skateboard. Looks like an ordinary skateboard. I asked him, "Is that electric?" His answer? "Yep." This was not the answer I was expecting. Then, the light changed we went and he rolled right up the hill on the pedestrian overpass. Amazing!

Yes they are amazing and have come a long way with many improvements. One of my favorite designs is the Inboard Electrics M1 with replaceable battery packs while on the go. I also see the M1 board has been discounted quite a bit. The motor design is also cutting edge. The Manta Drive™ has no gears, no belts. Wish they had these for sale back in the day!

I use an electric skateboard to supplement my ebike commuting. Working in and around a large university campus, they're perfect for zipping back and forth to different meetings across campus. What would be a 15-20 minute walk turns into a 1-2 minute electric skateboard ride.

I'm partial to Boosted Boards as they're a local company to the SF Bay Area. Their boards are solid performers and very reliable.

I use an electric skateboard to supplement my ebike commuting. Working in and around a large university campus, they're perfect for zipping back and forth to different meetings across campus. What would be a 15-20 minute walk turns into a 1-2 minute electric skateboard ride.

I'm partial to Boosted Boards as they're a local company to the SF Bay Area. Their boards are solid performers and very reliable.

That is a great way to get around. How long does it take the average Joe with no experience to learn how to balance, control and ride an E-board with confidence? Just curious.

That is a great way to get around. How long does it take the average Joe with no experience to learn how to balance, control and ride an E-board with confidence? Just curious.
I had a v1 BoostedBoard that I sold to another guy in my office. He’s probably mid 40s with a decent sense of balance and a little bit of experience on a skateboard as a kid. It took him less than an hour to get the basics back and learn how to manipulate the remote.

I had a v1 BoostedBoard that I sold to another guy in my office. He’s probably mid 40s with a decent sense of balance and a little bit of experience on a skateboard as a kid. It took him less than an hour to get the basics back and learn how to manipulate the remote.
Good to know. So someone that has not done much boarding at all could possibly take anywhere from a few hours to an entire day to get the balancing and forward motion steady. I see great potential in this as a secondary mode of transportation. Thanks!

E-skate boards are extremely efficient.
I always think using a 3500lbs metal box to move 200lbs person is soooo inefficient.
E-scooters and E-skateboards make a whole lot of sense.

Really like the compactness of those 4 wheeled platforms that can move along an adult at pretty high speeds considering how small they are. I still marvel at the fact that a motor so small inside a small wheel can move a 200lb person on flat roads and inclines at that. I would have never thought this could be possible at that rate of speed with a relatively small battery pack. Not sure what the next generation of e-boards will bring. Should be interesting...

I know that the Boostedboard claims to put down 2000w of peak power. Some boards are using in hub motors and others use belt drives. If you ride both types of e skateboard, the motor comparison is analogous to the eBike hub drive vs mid drive debate.

Back