Clicking from hub on Vado 4.0

rochrunner

Region
USA
City
Rochester Hills MI
On my last couple of rides, the bike has periodically started to have a sharp clicking noise coming from the vicinity of the hub (seems like it's more from the left side, but sounds like that are hard to localize). It occurs once per revolution of the crank. When I stop pedaling, the clicking stops but not immediately. There's usually a click or two after the pedals have stopped moving, which basically eliminates "traditional" sources such as a crank arm, pedal, or bottom bracket.

As soon as I start pedaling again -- even if I've just paused for a couple of seconds -- the noise does not resume, but usually starts up again within a few minutes. I haven't determined if there's anything related to how I'm pedaling, but it might be at times when I'm putting a bit of extra load on it such as an incline or higher speed. It also just seems to happen after I've been riding for a while.

Any ideas? So far it's just a minor annoyance and I'm not inclined to take it to the dealer anytime soon since access to the dealership and repair operations are still very limited. I'd also like to experiment to see if I can further narrow down its characteristics (although I somehow doubt that will help them diagnose it).

On my last couple of rides, the bike has periodically started to have a sharp clicking noise coming from the vicinity of the hub (seems like it's more from the left side, but sounds like that are hard to localize). It occurs once per revolution of the crank. When I stop pedaling, the clicking stops but not immediately. There's usually a click or two after the pedals have stopped moving, which basically eliminates "traditional" sources such as a crank arm, pedal, or bottom bracket.

As soon as I start pedaling again -- even if I've just paused for a couple of seconds -- the noise does not resume, but usually starts up again within a few minutes. I haven't determined if there's anything related to how I'm pedaling, but it might be at times when I'm putting a bit of extra load on it such as an incline or higher speed. It also just seems to happen after I've been riding for a while.

Any ideas? So far it's just a minor annoyance and I'm not inclined to take it to the dealer anytime soon since access to the dealership and repair operations are still very limited. I'd also like to experiment to see if I can further narrow down its characteristics (although I somehow doubt that will help them diagnose it).
The clicking seems to be coming from the rear wheel hub? Can you replicate the sound with the bike on a work stand? I'd get it up on a stand and carefully inspect the brakes for anything loose or even close to rubbing.

I'm thinking it be might be loose hub bearings. Properly adjusted, the wheel mounted on the bike should not move side to side with moderate hand pressure. If it does, the hub needs to be tightened to secure the bearings more tightly.

My second thought is the cassette. If it's loose it could be clicking as it 'wobbles' almost imperceptibly on the hub splines. You'd need to pull the wheel off to check this as the chain tension could keep it from 'wobbling' enough to feel it on the bike. A cassette lock ring tool would be needed to tighten the cassette. If you ride in the smallest cog this will tend to tighten the cassette and eliminate this as a possible cause, but worth checking.

It could be a defective cassette spider that would allow movement in the cassette even if it is tight on the hub. Same approach as above, but you'll need to pull the cassette to inspect the spider. A chain whip would also be needed. Once off, grab the spider and apply as much hand force to the cassette body as you can. There should be no movement at all. Is there is, new cassette time, hopefully under warranty. If there's no movement in the cassette, reassemble with anti-sieze paste on the hub splines. This step alone may resolve your issue.

Let us know what the problem turns out to be.

You'll have to define "the hub". You seem to be implying it's the bottom bracket as you mention the noise with pedaling.

I'm sorry about the terminology confusion -- I meant to say it's from the "bottom bracket" / motor "hub" area. I guess I thought that would be clear since it is in sync with the pedal revolution, not the wheel. Also, it's a brand new bike with just a couple hundred miles on it, so it shouldn't be a wear issue. But the internals of the motor/crank unit are a total mystery to me at this time.

I've diagnosed a number of clicks and squeaks over the years and the first thing I always do is to see if it's in sync with some other action. One of the toughest was a squeaky Brooks saddle that was surprisingly hard to diagnose. Vibrations can travel through frame members and emerge in a whole different location...

But anyway, this seems to be coming from inside the motor "unit".

I'm sorry about the terminology confusion -- I meant to say it's from the "bottom bracket" / motor "hub" area. I guess I thought that would be clear since it is in sync with the pedal revolution, not the wheel. Also, it's a brand new bike with just a couple hundred miles on it, so it shouldn't be a wear issue. But the internals of the motor/crank unit are a total mystery to me at this time.

I've diagnosed a number of clicks and squeaks over the years and the first thing I always do is to see if it's in sync with some other action. One of the toughest was a squeaky Brooks saddle that was surprisingly hard to diagnose. Vibrations can travel through frame members and emerge in a whole different location...

We'll, forget my suggestions on wheel hubs! I will, say that my Vado developed an odd intermittent clicking and squealing in what seemed to be the motor area. Turned out it was one of the seals on a pedal. A bit of lube and all was good.

We'll, forget my suggestions on wheel hubs! I will, say that my Vado developed an odd intermittent clicking and squealing in what seemed to be the motor area. Turned out it was one of the seals on a pedal. A bit of lube and all was good.
I've also had noises that were pedal-related or even from the cleats on my shoe, but since in this case I get at least one distinct click after the pedals are stationary, it makes me think that something motor-related is behind it.

Sounds like warranty at the LBS 😖
Not looking forward to that since the hours and access are restricted right now. There's also the issue that they've got to observe the problem and it's not always present. I hate getting that "we couldn't find a problem" outcome.

This always drives me nuts on car repairs. As an engineer, I'm good at observing mechanical behaviors to isolate a problem and I'll go into the dealership with a detailed description of the problem, what it takes to reproduce it, etc. Then when I look at what the writeup guy has written for the mechanic it says something like "check brakes". Aargh!

OK, now that I'm on my 2nd cup of coffee, another thought. When you stop pedaling the sound can continue. When you stop pedaling the motor aslo stops so I'g suggest the sound is not the motor, but in the drivetrain.

Have you checked it on a work stand yet?

OK, now that I'm on my 2nd cup of coffee, another thought. When you stop pedaling the sound can continue. When you stop pedaling the motor aslo stops so I'g suggest the sound is not the motor, but in the drivetrain.

Have you checked it on a work stand yet?
It might be hard to reproduce on a stand. The sound continuance is only for less than a second and I doubt that the motor stops instantaneously, so maybe there's one last revolution or partial revolution of the crank after force to the pedals is removed? I have some ideas for experimentation, but it's turned to winter here again and it will be a week or more before I can get out again! :mad:

Had a similar problem with my 2018 Vado 4, bought new July 2018. Unfortunately I don’t know what the exact cause was but here’s my story.
A week or about 130 -140 miles after pickicking my new bike there was a clicking sound for a second or two after I stopped pedalling. Not when pedalling as far as I can remember.
Rode my bike home 13 miles and next day 10 miles to the store. The service manager rode it around the block and confirmed the clicking and then another lap and coming back he said he also felt some pulsating from motor.
He kept the bike and said he’d call Specialized Europe and call me back. Called me back next day and said Specialized offered a new replacement motor sent to Sweden from Holland (I think). I accepted and it was all fixed in 8 days.
It’s a bit embarrasing I can’t remember and tell you what was the problem with my motor.
The bike then ran absolutely fine with a new motor for another 2000 miles. It was then stolen so I can’t say anything more about that motor.:)

I have the same click sound, it is coming from the motor unit. I have a VADO 5.0 with 400 miles on it. I will be taking it to my dealer.

Back