Cleaning sn Ebike?

I use a plastic scraper to knock off thick stuff. Then a rag soaked in diesel fuel. Mineral spirits work too, but are more expensive.

If you can use a garden hose, that is definitely the less expensive way to clean the bike. Most new bikes have enough water resistance to be protected from being rained on, so you should be able to hose off your bike as long as you protect any exposed electrical connections first. I've gently power washed mine several times (40 degree nozzle, minimum pressure setting). Honestly the biggest danger to your bike, from a power washer, is high pressure water forcing itself through bearing seals and causing premature bearing failure due to corrosion.

If you are worried about electrical systems getting damaged remove the battery and cover the battery connections on the bike. As long as the electronics have no electricity running through them when they get wet you really don't have anything to worry about. Water itself doesn't damage the electronics. Water providing a route for electricity to go places it shouldn't causes damage. As long as you give the electronics plenty of time to dry before powering them up you should be fine.

I think the garden hose method is OK too, but if you want to be even more careful, take wet towels and wrap around the various tubes and surfaces, one section at a time. Let it set for a few minutes to soften the caked on gunk, then you should be able to sponge wash and towel dry.

I think the garden hose method is OK too, but if you want to be even more careful, take wet towels and wrap around the various tubes and surfaces, one section at a time. Let it set for a few minutes to soften the caked on gunk, then you should be able to sponge wash and towel dry.
Thanks for the great advise!!!

I use a plastic scraper to knock off thick stuff. Then a rag soaked in diesel fuel. Mineral spirits work too, but are more expensive.

Diesel fuel ? Yuck. Takes forever to get that smell out of your hands or clothes.

Electricity & water don't mix. Diesel reminds me of trips on charter busses to way games & contests. You can wash the petroleum off with a 409 soaked towel if you don't want to let the sun dry it off. 5w oil dilutes diesel off hands, the same stuff I lube the chain with. Then soap & water will wash that off. Dexron ATF is 5W and has its own detergent.

I'm not taking chances with running water. I even carry my eMtb through streams. Worked great for 3 years, so staying with it. We're not allowed on the single trails when it's muddy. I just use a bucket of water and a rag. Wring out most of the water and wipe just a little. Lots of rinsing in the bucket so I'm not wiping grit over the finish of the bike.

What's the best way to clean a muddy Ebike? Very reluctant to use the hose to knock off the big chunks....ideas?
Knock off as much mud as possible, and use one of the waterless washes available at Wally world. I spray on a rag and wipe down I used the chemical guys which leaves a coat of wax on the bike, no chance of anything getting soaked

I usually let the mud dry then use a stiff brush and compressed air to remove it. For stubborn dirt, or if I'm in a hurry, I'll use a garden hose. As others have said, a low pressure hose shouldn't harm the bike.

Back